Looking Back on the setlists from the past year or so...

BastrdDrmr

Jul 29, 2002
Green Oak, michigan
Visit site
I've noticed that Symphony X has never really put any "suprises" in their sets. I think on their next tour it's time that they add a couple things in there that people aren't necessarily expecting. This is just my opinion of course, and if they proceed to play similar sets to what they've always done, that's cool too! Symphony X owns live no matter what :headbang:. My choices would be:

One of the last 3 songs on V
anything from Damnation Game
In the Dragon's Den
Relic

Well, I was talking to Mike Romeo last night after the wicked gig in CT! I asked him about the possibility of changing the setlist up by the time this tour ends and he said probably not.. leaning toward not. I'd love to hear some older songs, but hey, the stuff they play now is so great even if I've seen the songs live before!

i think change is good... i mean, in all honesty i love symphony x but chances of me going to see them play the same set a 5th or 6th time, espeically if i have to travel, is very remote. I love their music, but i personally like my concerts to be special, and after the first few times seeing them, the "new" effect kinda wears off and i want something different... just my 2 cents on the topic. And i don't mean that they shouldn't have regular songs and crowd pleasers, but would it kill anyone to play fool's paradise or rediscovery?

theodyssey said:
i think change is good... i mean, in all honesty i love symphony x but chances of me going to see them play the same set a 5th or 6th time, espeically if i have to travel, is very remote. I love their music, but i personally like my concerts to be special, and after the first few times seeing them, the "new" effect kinda wears off and i want something different... just my 2 cents on the topic. And i don't mean that they shouldn't have regular songs and crowd pleasers, but would it kill anyone to play fool's paradise or rediscovery?

I know what you mean, I like it when i see a show and i come out of it thinking, Wow this was a special night. seeing the same show over and over just doesn't produce the same magic. Still, i haven't seen SX live :cry:

I don't know why they don't do "A Fool's Paradise". I used to think maybe it was too hard to pull off live, but *I* can play it now, so they could do it with one fucking finger between the 5 of them!

I'd love to see something from the first two albums. Masquerade (the remake) would be so cool live, as well as Damnation Game, Dressed to Kill, or Edge of Forever.

Oh well, I'm still quite happy with the live experience, and last March they were the best concert I've ever seen.

At first I thought it was going to bother me that I've pretty much seen all the songs they're playing, but once the show started I really didn't care at all. Just keep up the energy and the overall perfection and you'll have no complaints from me :headbang:

I have seen them 6 times (3progpower 2blind 1stratowarmup) and there has not been too much difference outside progpower. I think thats a shame. I would kill for TEoF or Whispers or anything off the first! MIX IT UP!!!
Dustro2

Yeah i think they should play TEoF, since there aren't many votes for Awakenings which is the BEST SONG EVER! Anyway, on the topic of seeing them multiple times with no change in the setlist, personally I don't care about that because, well, it's Symphony X. But everytime I see them is special anyway, since they remember me :D

Talk about a change!!!!

When I saw them in Montreal just this past weekend they broke out in a "country" song.... YEEHAWWW!

It was really cool, even if it was a country song.. The crowd still went crazy,(me too) :):loco:
I heard alittle "Queen,and Styx" (just a few seconds of them.) They seemed to be having a great time that night.
But we all was.

That must have been in between the really high note on Wicked...at the Long Island show, they did a small tribute to Zeppelin with Russ belting out Living Loving Maid's opening line, prompting one fan to drunkenly call for Immigrant Song...

I would certainly appreciate some setlist changes as well. It wouldn't have to be anything drastic (though that would be welcome too), maybe just a couple of songs that get rotated each night. Right now the Odyssey is more than enough to encourage me to hit the road, and I understand that song itself was probably a lot to learn. But their set really isn't that long and it would be so nice for those of us who see multiple shows to get to see a little something different from night to night.

I personally told Jason Rullo recently that I'd come to see them even if they played one song. But I agree with the author of the thread. They have so many great songs that it really would be a shame if they have a mile long list of songs that they've never performed. "The Edge Of Forever" and "A Winter's Dream" already deserve to be setlist regulars. And more material from Twilight would be great too. But I realize that executing several great songs to perfection in an hour and a half is commendable enough.

I honestly don't even care what songs they choose to play. Of course I have songs that I'd die to hear live. But even if they substituted a song on the current set for one of my least favorite Symphony X songs, I'd still enjoy and appreciate the surprise.

I tell you what. If you can talk the band into giving me permission. I'll post the video of "TEoF" from PP USA II. That's the only time it has ever been performed.

Glenn H.