Looking for a live vocal mic

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Currently using a 58 but I have to boost the highs ALOT to make it sound right in my in-ears. We use a a full in-ear setup so the stage requires no floor monitoring. I was thinking a beta 58a. Maybe some other ideas? I'd like something most "foh guys" won't bitch about if it's not a 58.

:lol:

Sounds like you want a condenser. A beta 57 is just 'super cardioid' so won't give you the added highs, just better off axis rejection.

Is there anything apart from increased and open hi-end you want?

It suffers in the lows, so does seem to have increased HF but I'm not a huge fan of them for lead vocals. Vocals are the money-maker, and if you've got IEMs then a great mic makes everyone's life easier.

OP- I've listened to your Katy Perry cover and I am getting the impression that my original suggestions would suit. :)

Sennheiser E945 is AWESOME, much clearer than the 58, which I find to be a bit overbearing in the low mids. Though you'll need to stay right on top of the mic with the 945.
Audix OM series are also very good.

Trev - I've never had anyone use an Audix OM-x with ears, but they are SUPER awesome for their feedback resistance.

I'll see if I can go up against the 945s at a testing place. I'm a fan of the 840s. Singers I work with don't trend to drift so could be a next recommendation! Cheers!

I do not like 58's AT ALL because of having to scoop a bunch of mud out. Why they are still 'standard', I will never know. I've had good results with the Audix OM mics as well. For my own vocals I use an EV N/D series mic, very good feedback rejection. I can't recall if I've worked with the Sennheiser's but people love them as far as I can tell. So basically, most anything but a 58. lol.

You want an EV ND767 or a Blue Encore 300.

You should not find FOH guys being too bitchy about either.. and I would say feedback resistance is not that important in this case since the band monitoring is self contained IEM but I've not had problems in that area with either of these mics.