Looking for a live vocal mic

I don't know much about live vocal mics but I heard great things from the Beta 58. It's kinda similar to the 58 in that it is a good vocal mic, but it's much clearer and louder in the midrange and highs, while having less of a proximity effect. IIRC it's not even the same capsule.

You just can't get that hifi high end with a dynamic mic IMO. I'd love to use a condenser mic but FOH guys will kill you for using one. :) In ears are kind of a must when using a condenser on stage.

Depends on the club ofcourse. My band tends to have issues with not getting even an SM58 loud enough at some clubs because it's feedbacking. I wish every stage was an arena.... :D

Depends on the club ofcourse. My band tends to have issues with not getting even an SM58 loud enough at some clubs because it's feedbacking. I wish every stage was an arena.... :D

get a mic with higher gain before feedback, like the audix om7 or the ev mics. you gotta basically eat them, but vocalists should do that anyway.

If you can't get a 58 loud enough everywhere other than the biggest places then I'd say your vocalist needs to work a bit on their singing technique and mic etiquette. In any of the places I work I can get a 58 to the point of clipping the poweramps without feedback when I talk at a normal speaking voice into it. Can you hear vocals clearly when you have a loud band practice?

I've had great experience with the Audix om series and the live Neumanns with singers looking to cut a bit better in a dense mix. Without monitors to worry about you've a large selection to choose from.

I don't know what it's like where you are but in NZ, 58s are standard. The B58a is brighter than the SM58 but doesn't really have a nice extended top end, if anything, I prefer the SM58 with a high shelf.

The Sennheiser 935 and 945 are my go-to vocal mics live. They don't squash up in the low-mids like the 58 does and have a much airier top end. If you have a system tuned to a 58 (like most systems are here), you won't have any issues plugging in the 935 or 945.

You just can't get that hifi high end with a dynamic mic IMO.

Not necessarily. I get great results with dynamics on stage. There is only one vocalist out of all the bands I tour with where I prefer her on a condenser (Sennheiser 965). Everyone else sounds great on dynamics.

I'd love to use a condenser mic but FOH guys will kill you for using one. :) In ears are kind of a must when using a condenser on stage.

Again, not necessarily true. If you have a mic to suit your voice, then no FOH engineers (good ones at least) should have any issues with you turning up with one. The most common handheld condenser here is probably the Beta 87; I have no issues when people turn up with these.

I don't know what it's like where you are but in NZ, 58s are standard. The B58a is brighter than the SM58 but doesn't really have a nice extended top end, if anything, I prefer the SM58 with a high shelf.

The Sennheiser 935 and 945 are my go-to vocal mics live. They don't squash up in the low-mids like the 58 does and have a much airier top end. If you have a system tuned to a 58 (like most systems are here), you won't have any issues plugging in the 935 or 945.

I'll probably get a 945 or 87a next

I had a band/engineer turn up to my old venue with 945's once, clearest sounding vocals I ever heard in there, and this was with LOUD drums/amps on stage. Unfortunately I couldn't convince the owner to get some for our mic box.

I'd say the 945 or beta 57a, as most people have. I've used both touring with IEMs as a monitor engineer and can't say you'll go wrong with either. There's def a tonal difference between the two, so try them out side by side if you can... But the 945 is a little more tailored, and has scooped out low mids. The b57a is flatter in the low mids, but not in a muddy nasty way like a 58.

Well I just got an 87a and it's awesome. I can hear myself in my Iem mix. I kind of want to try an audio technica 4100 or 5400....