looking for audio interfaces and preamps

My vote is that if all you want is to improve the quality of your guitar recordings, a two-channel preamp will last you a good long time, and definitely make a difference (though from all that I've heard with mic preamp comparisons, if a tone sounds bad through one preamp, it's gonna sound bad through one 10 times as expensive - I tend to think a great preamp can only bring out the best, rather than masking the worst; in other words, if you feel you don't like your sound now, a preamp probably won't help, but if you just want the best possible sound, then a two-channel preamp is your best bet I'd say!)

Ok thanks guys! one more question and thats it i promise! Can you please tell me if this is how i would hook up a preamp to my firebox? All i would need is a 1/4 cable from the out of the preamp to one of the line ins on my firebox? is it that simple?

Haha, glad we could help - it's just as useful for me to solidify my own feelings, cuz the second I get the money, an FF400 will be mine! (or an Onyx 400 if Mackie takes my above email to heart)'

Oh, and LosingReality, F0RBIDDEN is right, but just to clarify, you'll want a balanced (TRS) 1/4" cable from the output of the mic preamp to the line in on your Firebox (the mic preamp might have an XLR out instead of a 1/4", in which case you'd get an XLR-TRS cable)