Looking for (Guitar) Amp

Asgath

Standing Without Fear
Jul 20, 2004
Arda
I'm not looking for an amp myself, but the guitarist in my band is.
He's got a low budget of about £300 which is abit of a problem...

What would you guys recommend, its a metal sound we're looking for, Dream Theater and Symphony X-esc, but I guess thats going the be hard to get within that budget.
He'd also prefer tube amps.

If there's an amp out there about that budget (by £200 or so at the most), please refer me too it, some saving up could do well.

ESP LTD MH-50 (With Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo) - £104.02
Behringer V-Tone GMX212 2x12" 120W Combo - £145.60
or
Line 6 Spider II 210 Combo - £208
Both amps are solid state, but it is also VERY DIFFICULT to find a tube amp on that kind of budget, at least for a new one, but if he doesn't mind used gear, I'd say go check out ebay. I got those prices from musiciansfriend.com although not sure what their shipping policies are, but I'm pretty sure the prices are universal. Aside from the numerous cheap-ass guitars and solid-state amps that you can get for that kind of money, I'd say he should save until he's got enough for some good gear.

I normally play through a vettaII, but I recently bought a SpiderII head for those gigs where I KNOW there are going to be drunks close to the stage, and I don't want my $2,000 amp fried because some jerk with a plastic cup of bud tripped while he was trying to tell me he wanted to hear some Skynrd.

Anyway, this thing sounds SUPRISINGLY good, and uses VettaII technology. If you want to sound like Romeo sounds live, it's not a bad place to start.

Hey, Leslie, where ya been? Long time no see.

I recommend an ADA MP1 to an ADA microTube 100 feeding a pair of 2x12s. You can get it all from eBay for under $500. Sure, it's totally '80's, but it kills! You can't beat the price for a stereo hook up. Definitely look for the modded MP1s though.

I don't know about you guys, but the distortion on the line 6 Spider II didn't sound too great to me. Maybe it was the distortion setting I used or EQ? But my fender frontman practice amp sounded better than it.

I've been wanting to get a new amp preferrably around 400-600 dollars. I tried this Marshall amp, might've been an MG, but the distortion sounded awesome to me.

If you don't think the Spider II sounds all that great, then you could probably go with a Crate or even a decent Marshall combo for around that. They sound pretty good from what I have heard, haven't tried one myself though. But to get the most out of the Spider II, you have to get the settings perfect, if I could remember what I used when I played on one, I'd tell you what it was, but since I don't...Sorry. You probably just have to mess with it a little bit.

I don't know about you guys, but the best distortion I've ever played with (from an amp, obviously) comes from Crate amps.

I haven't played through a Line6, though.

Picked up a used Ashdown Peacemaker 40 (9 months old) for my son for Xmas '04. Got Ashdown to update it to current spec for gratis - they even paid the postage back. It cost £20 or so to send it to them - so not bad considering. £8 for a bunch of new black metal knobs to replace the poor silver plastic ones (which most were knackered). All in total was £275 for a £500 unit. Oh, and they fixed the meter's lamp as well - hadn't noticed it wasn't working before!

Looked at the H&K Blues Edition and Vortex 112 - he prefered the former, I the latter. Think he was more enamoured with the blue backlighting on the BE one. The 'character' knob made for some interesting sounds - moreso than the "distortion" control of the BE.
No surprise since, as an ex-audiophile, I've always prided myself on having excellent hearing. That and I believe an amplifier (combo or head/cab) should only amplify the signal it's fed. Effects processors and or pedals should be used separately to achieve the resultant sound.
I've YET to come across any DSP combo/head that sounds useable beyond 2/3 settings with a footswitch used to change the channels.

This is where the Ashdown wins in my books - the ability to mix the processor effects with the clean signal, as well as 2/3 channels switching plus 2 volume settings via another footswitch.
Tons of possibilities lie ahead that route.

So, if like me, you can find a used Ashdown Peacemaker 40/60, grab it with both hands.....pronto!

I haven't looked at them lately, but Laney had some all-tube combos that were effin' awesome. I wish I had never sold mine. I think I picked mine up used for around $250.

Laney's are fucking awesome - I have a halfstack with a GH100L for the head, and I couldn't be happier.

For cheap amps, Crate and Fender are the way to go IMHO. My Fender Frontman 15-watt practice amp actually has some bitchin' distortion. And the lead tone on my 65-watt Crate GFX combo is incredible. The Crate also has 3 channels and some onboard effects, which is cool.

control-denied777 said:
im planning to get a messa,i think they are the best.if u guys have any recomendation about it pleeze tell me

If you want Mesa AND Versitily, I would get the Triaxis without the Phat Mod (because it's MIDI programable), and either a 20/20 amp or a 2:90 amp.

I currently use a Triaxis, G-major, 20/20 amp and a Marshall 4X12 cab, load of tone and raw power.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Laney's are fucking awesome - I have a halfstack with a GH100L for the head, and I couldn't be happier.
I think I'd really piss my neighbors off if I got a half-stack. I'm envious. :(

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

I have a question for Leslie Spring or any one that knows about the Vetta 2. Is the amp models much better than the Vetta 1?

weenur said:
I think I'd really piss my neighbors off if I got a half-stack. I'm envious. :(

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Actually, my dad's friend got a Marshall and gave the Laney to me after a jam session when I was like 16. It sat there taunting me because I didn't have a cab for like 4 months!

For prices, check out Harmony Central's review section, or eBay. They vary a lot depending on models and if it's new or used.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Actually, my dad's friend got a Marshall and gave the Laney to me after a jam session when I was like 16. It sat there taunting me because I didn't have a cab for like 4 months!
I just turned green.

For prices, check out Harmony Central's review section, or eBay. They vary a lot depending on models and if it's new or used.
Good idea. Thanks!