looking for something new to listen to

stormrider_1776

New Metal Member
Aug 9, 2003
Visit site
name some bands that you think are great and give a brief description of what kinda music they are. i like power, death, doom, prog, and so on so give me some reccomendations

could you tell us what bands you already like so we all dont waste a good amount of time posting bands you know?

well anyways

belphegor-satanist death metal with a certain overall black metal feel to it

immortal-icy hyperspeed black metal, very technical

my dying bride- one of the death/doom pioneers, a must for fans of death/doom

nevermore-i guess they sound somewhat like power metal but a lot heavier

...andOceans-schizophrenic black metal with fast guitars, blast beats, abstract/watery sounding keyboards, listen just for the singer

Cold Embrace-a great death/doom band in the like of my dying bride

oh and Forest Stream-theyre complicated to explain but you should definately give them a try, one of the best ive mentioned

Power Metal

Grave Digger - Pioneers of the genre. Have been around since the early 80's and are still rocking hard to this very day. Very heavy, very powerful, rough vocals mixed with lighter vocals. Very good stuff and a grade A band at the top of my list. Check out The Grave Digger or Rheingold.

Running Wild - Also pioneers of the power metal genre. Have been around since the early 80's as well. Helloween always get the credit of being the take off of the power metal genre. Sure they were the biggest band but Running Wild and Grave Digger have been around longer. Running Wild play an interesting type of power metal and often have themes related to pirates and hidden treasures. Its really cool stuff and original. Check out Under Jolly Roger to start.

Rage - Another pioneer of the genre and have been around a long while. I don't know too too much about this band yet but they are fucking awesome. Check out the album Execution Guaranteed.

Stratovarius - Excellent power metal band out fo Finland. Very popular and one of the top notch power metal bands of today. Definetly worth checking out. Look into their albums Visions and Episode to start with something strong.

Edguy - One of my favorite bands. Great German power metal. Very melodic with strong songs. Check out Mandrke by far the best album.

Arcturus - proggish metal/rock. Very melodical and very unique.

Andromeda - proggish metal. Their first album (Extension of the Wish) is more melodical than their latest one (II=I). Check the headlining tracks on the first one.. They're good.

Ephel Duath - black metal strongly intermixed with jazz on their latest piece of work, The Painter's Palette. Black vocals intermixed with cleaner ones - a lot of raw melody, a lot of noise, a lot of chaos. Very good.

Threshold - melodical prog. VERY talented - very melodical. Last year's album Critical Mass was awesome - just like their previous stuff.

Pagan's Mind - melodical prog with some power influences. Sometimes sounds like power metal, but still has more proggish influences. Very melodical and hard at the same time.

there's millions more, but it would've been better to first indicate what you liked and have ALREADY heard of..

I don't know what you already have or listen to so here are a few of my favorites
Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare - power
Down - NOLA - side project of members of pantera, crowbar,and corrosion of conformity
Masterplan - Masterplan - if you like rabbit don't come easy don't listen to this. this is what halloween would be if they could!
Annihilator - Carnival Diablos, Alice In Hell - hard to pin to a single style
GammaRay - Blast From the Past - a double best of power cd
Sentenced - The Cold White Light - death

anything by Frank Zappa
Montana

I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
To somebody else . . . but then, on the other hand Iwould

Keep the wax
N' melt it down
Pluck some Floss
N' swish it aroun'

I'd have me a crop
An' it'd be on top (that's why I'm movin' to Montana)

Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon (yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a mennil-toss flykune

I'm pluckin' the ol'
Dennil Floss
That's growin' on the prairie
Pluckin' the floss!
I plucked all day an' all nite an' all
Afternoon . . .

I'm ridin' a small tiny hoss
(His name is MIGHTY LITTLE)
He's a good hoss
Even though
He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
Any way

I'm pluckin' the ol'
Dennil Floss
Even if you think it is a little silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks

I'm gonna find me a horse
Just about this big,
An' ride him all along the border line

With a
Pair of heavy-duty
Zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand
Every other wrangler would say
I was mighty grand

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss
Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I might
Ride along the border
With my tweezers gleamin'
In the moon-lighty night

And then I'd
Get a cuppa cawfee
N' give my foot a push . . .
Just me 'n the pygmy pony
Over the Dennil Floss Bush

N' then I might just
Jump back on
An' ride
Like a cowboy
Into the dawn to Montana

Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)

Aeternus, Agalloch, Agathodaimon, Amorphis, Anaal Nathrakh, Anathema, Ancalagon, At The Gates, Behemoth, Black Sabbath, Blood Red Throne, Bloodbath, Borknagar, Catamenia, Children of Bodom, Cynic, Darkane, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Daylight Dies, Detonation, Diabolical Masquerade, Dissection, Edge of Sanity, Emperor, Empyrium, Enslaved, Eucharist, Exodus, Finntroll, Green Carnation, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Immortal, Into Eternity, Judas Priest, Katatonia, Mayhem, Metallica, My Dying Bride, Myrkskog, Naglfar, Nightrage, Novembre, October Tide, Old Man's Child, Opeth, Rotting Christ, Sacramentum, Sentenced, Slayer, Testament, Thy Serpent, Ulver, Vintersorg, Zyklon

Every one of these bands. Try EVERY ONE.

Lykathea Aflame
Exhumed
Vehemence
Dead Soul Tribe
Scholomance
Today is The Day
Mastadon
Vital Remains
Hollenthon
Gorguts
Visceral Bleeding
Bal Sagoth
Absu
Watchtower
Cynic
Atheist

stormrider_1776 said:
name some bands that you think are great and give a brief description of what kinda music they are. i like power, death, doom, prog, and so on so give me some reccomendations
Er.. So, what kind of collection do you currently have? I'll throw out some names, though I'm sure you're buried already:

Last Tribe or SectionA: melodic power metal with a smidge of progressive elements thrown in here and there. Songs exhibit hook without cliche.

Brainstorm, Tad Morose, (Morgana) Lefay: generally heavy as fuck melodic power metal. Vocals tend toward raspy (but nowhere near death/black metal barking)

Evergrey or Tarot: well composed and arranged melodic metal with major atmosphere.

Kamelot: pomp metal, very well executed.

Have fun..

I'm never having trouble finding new music. I'm on a constant search for good music and I feel like I miss out on so much good music. So a advise from me is that you just download stuff you hear people talk about or search some webzines and read some reviews that way you'll find alot of new music.

And allways dig in the underground!! that's were the good stuff is!! check in on record companies websites also to see what they can offer

Listen to some post rock:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Explosions In The Sky
Fly Pan Am
Sigur Ros
Mogwai
Set Fire To Flames
Esmerine
A Silver Mt. Zion