Lord of the Rings DVD

yep that's true, in November an extended version will be released. I bought the cheaper version already though, couldn't wait :D Probably I will buy the extended version too.

Yeah, I bought the regular widescreen... will get the 4 dvd when it's released and sell the other on ebay probably...

I haven't heard of anyone calling it a joke. I'm glad too, because I would have to severely harm them, probably using sporks.

By the way, the extended edition has about 30 minutes added back in. Remember from the book where Galadriel gives each of the fellowhip her gifts (Elven rope to Sam etc)?

That's all back in now - and incredible that it was left out of the original since each gift plays a serious role in the whole trilogy.

(Still no Tom Bombadil though... :cry: )

Originally posted by aaronstc
Tom Bombadil was awesome. If it was up to me the movie would be 6 hours long.

That was a huge ommission - that was an entire chapter - and the fact that he saved them from Weathertop is a huge change for the movie to adapt.

I won't even mention the whole Arwen saving Frodo debacle either (instead of Glorfindel).

Good film though. :D

@JayKeeley- TOM BOMBADIL. After the movie I was very disappointed that they left him out. I was looking forward to seeing him skipping and singing along.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
@JayKeeley- TOM BOMBADIL. After the movie I was very disappointed that they left him out. I was looking forward to seeing him skipping and singing along.

I know! I felt the same! No lady of the wood singing her songs, no Glorfindel saving Frodo from the Ringwraiths (instead of Arwen)....oh well.

I understand they need to leave pieces out, but I could never understand why Arwen had such a major role - perhaps to draw Liv Tyler fans?

Arwen was probably concentrated on to add more female presence in the movie. J.R.R. Tolkien didn't have near as many female characters as most fantasy authors of today. Not to mention, lack of female characters in a movie isn't good for the female audience. I little love story also helps with the female audience.

Tom Bombadil kicks ass, that would have been cool. I need to go back and read the first book again, it has been so many years that I don't realize all the glaring omissions from the movie!!!

Yes, a 6-8 hour version would have been great for people that actually READ the books, but for the average moviegoer, 3 hours was long enough.

When I first saw the preview of the Two Towers movie and saw Helm's Deep I drooled... :eek:

Originally posted by NAD
Tom Bombadil kicks ass, that would have been cool. I need to go back and read the first book again, it has been so many years that I don't realize all the glaring omissions from the movie!!!

Yes, a 6-8 hour version would have been great for people that actually READ the books, but for the average moviegoer, 3 hours was long enough.

When I first saw the preview of the Two Towers movie and saw Helm's Deep I drooled... :eek:

yeah me to, imo the second book is the best in the trilogy, it's enough just to think of treebeard and the hornburg battle for my pants to go all wet :D
and when the ents attacks orthanc and mordor and shelob.... my god i can't wait!

Has anyone seen any preview images of the Ents yet? I'm dying tosee how they'll be portrayed. If you have an image, post one here please! :)

The destruction of Isengard should indeed be incredible. :)

The whole Tom Bombadill episode is important for the character-building of the hobbits. I was gutted that they didn't put it in. And I too can't wait to see an ent :).

The thing with Bombadil is that there's so much happening in the first book and to make the movie reasonable length they HAD to cut something out and the Sam's Conspiracy-Old Forest-Bombadil-Barrow-downs part was basically the easiest thing to cut out because it is not too much tied to rest of the book (except for the swords). It sucks though, I would've liked to see the 8 hour version, but you can't get everything.

Haven't seen Ents either, I've been searching for pics everywhere, but I gave up. I guess we just have to wait until december.

@JayKeeley: Since when did T.B. save hobbits from Weathertop? He saved them from Barrow-downs, and that place was cut out too.

Originally posted by Voice of God

@JayKeeley: Since when did T.B. save hobbits from Weathertop? He saved them from Barrow-downs, and that place was cut out too.

Sorry - I didn't mean Weathertop since they had already met up with Strider at that point.

Re: Ents - I have a sneaky suspicion that they may not appear in any preview for sometime since they are still in CGI production mode for Two Towers. What we've seen thus far is only the stuff they have finished in the studio (Helms Deep etc).