Love Nile, hate their production?

Well, then maybe the original mix is alot better than you think.

I think the guitars are pretty good on that album because they're so unmercifully heavy. I think that is what Nile is supposed to sound like.

The only thing that bothers me about that album is that I have to strain to hear the snare drum and even the kick at times, they ocasionally just disappear into the mix. I'd like to hear that album with them both cranked up a few db, but when you can hear them clearly they sound killer.

I think I liked the drum produciton on "Shrines" but I liked the guitars better on "AOTW"

I've had a listen to it on the monitors at college, and aye, it's better, but the guitars still bother me.

See, I think Behemoth's tones are unmercifully heavy (especially on the Apostasy, good christ) - Nile's tones are just painful, I wants my mids dammit.

I don't know...

Cast down the Heretic, when it kicks in after Dusk...
BROOOOTTTTAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

I think the scoop only works when the music is right. Dime it worked, and Nile it works for me.

I love Behemoth's guits too but sweeeeet shit. AOTW is too brutal. Ithyphallic I don;t dig as much, ITDS not so much.

Yeah, it's not a sound that would work for every band/album, but damn does it kick ass with their material. He gets away with a real dry timbale-style snare too. What I love about it is that I personally wouldn't think about approaching a mix like this, and it's that sort of diversity I love to hear. Having every band sound like carbon copies of one another is really starting to get old. The kick is really thin, the snare is really weak and dry, the guitars are muddy/muffled and the bass is pushed down into the subs. In contrast the vocals are quite upfront and dull at the same time. I don't think about mixing in those sort of terms, so it's great to hear.

There's no reason they should have poor mixes just because they're fairly obscure.

you're kidding, right?

last time i checked, nile are like...the biggest DM act anywhere. period.

that being said, i love the production on their albums...it's fucking gritty, gnarly, and makes you want to throw on a sphinx mask and cut someone's heart out. nile isn't one of those bands i look to when i want some uber-slick sounding shit, and i hope they never become one either.

you're kidding, right?

last time i checked, nile are like...the biggest DM act anywhere. period.

that being said, i love the production on their albums...it's fucking gritty, gnarly, and makes you want to throw on a sphinx mask and cut someone's heart out. nile isn't one of those bands i look to when i want some uber-slick sounding shit, and i hope they never become one either.

Same.

Nile is the best band i've seen live, period (and i'm gonna see them in two months again). They are mean, tight as fuck, but still know how to make the crowd go crazy. And the triple vocal attack is just awesome. :headbang:

I think Nile would sound like shit with a "clean" production. Death metal sounds best with over the top dirty scooped guitars. AOTW is the best DM production ever. About the snare and kick disappearing, I don't think thats a big deal, just creates a cool chaotic "out of control" vibe, which adds to the brutalness. Check out Emperor - Ye Entrancemperium for a similar effect.
BTW Neil Kernon did a really good job on the egyptian interludes, they sound epic as fuck, I wish they had more of those on the cd

I think Nile would sound like shit with a "clean" production. Death metal sounds best with over the top dirty scooped guitars. AOTW is the best DM production ever. About the snare and kick disappearing, I don't think thats a big deal, just creates a cool chaotic "out of control" vibe, which adds to the brutalness.

I don't agree with you on some stuff.

First of all I think the production on AOTW is very clean indeed, though the guitars are fat and and sludgy. I think the sludgy fat scooped tone works for Nile, but AFIIR on the latest Cannibal Corpse / Severe Torture albums the guitar tone is quite tight (especially Severe torture's) and not very scooped and it sounds awesome. Morbid Angel on Domination for instance has also a not very scooped tone and not so gainy, yet quite "dirty", and it sounds awesome also. Listen also to Animosity's "Empires", the tone is tight as fuck and works very well (their tone sounds a bit more scooped on the last album).

I don't consider the kick and the snare as "disappearing" that much either... Quite "thin" and dry kicks/snare have always been a common thing for brutal death metal with very fast blast beats / double bass parts. Check out the last Kronos album for instance ("the hellenic terror"). It's the same kind of production in terms of drums and it works perfectly.
I don't mind less thin and more "organic" sounding drums for the same genre though (drums tone on Animosity's "Animal" is awesome), i just say thin/dry drums tone often works well for brutal death metal.