Lyricists

Ozzman

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
A little help please. I'm trying to write lyrics for the first time and have no idea where to begin or what they should be about?

I hear ya... I totally suck at writing lyrics. I was always more concerned with playing guitar and never devoted any time to learning lyrical skills and it really shows now.

I wrote some lyrics but they are complete shite, they rhyme and that's about it, not sure if I should undergo the embarassement of posting them

Originally posted by Ozzman
A little help please. I'm trying to write lyrics for the first time and have no idea where to begin or what they should be about?

When I try to write something... I start thinking about a topic for the song... Where do I find this ?? I read magazines, internet files, watch movies, cartoons, TV series... and from somewhere I find something to write about...
Then I write a lot of things about this topic in a paper sheet... with all the text I start to make the lyric ....
There's a thing that I believe is important... vocabulary...
hope this can help

:D

Well it depends on what kind of music your playing:
1) if your a punk band you do songs about girls and swear a lot
2) if your an emo band you do songs about girls and cry after playing it
3) if play hardcore, dont bother with lyrics, just scream a lot no one understands you anyway
4) if play death metal, dont worry about lyrics, just sound like the cookie monster and you will be hailed as one of the most original death metal vocalists
5) if you play black metal, just think of as many synonyms for satan and evil and put them together and have a high pitched wail/screech
6) if you play power metal, look to Manowar for inspiration ;) put the words steel, fight, die, and mighty together and youve got a power metal song (i like some power metal cause its fun to listen to)
7) if you play prog, good luck. you have to sing well and come up with intelligent lyrics that could be anything from fantasy to the political issues of today. All hail prog - king of all metal!!!

if play death metal, dont worry about lyrics, just sound like the cookie monster and you will be hailed as one of the most original death metal vocalists

lmfao:D

well about the lyrics thing reading books helps, stories and that kind of stuff, personal experiences also work a lot for me just try to write something like a poem at first or plain lyrics and don't be focused on the rhyme when you are finished with the lyrics then work with the rhyme and try to get the lyrics to work all together well this is my personal experience i don't guarantee in any way that it will work for you :D hey ozzman btw aren't you from the metallica board i just have this weird feeling that you may be on that board too :D

yeah writing lyrics is a bitch. I have all these great ideas that i'd love to turn into songs or even concept albums, but i can't write the actualy lyrics for shit! i always have severe writer's block and if i force something out, its extremely bad and i'm never satisfied.

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
Well it depends on what kind of music your playing:
1) if your a punk band you do songs about girls and swear a lot
2) if your an emo band you do songs about girls and cry after playing it
3) if play hardcore, dont bother with lyrics, just scream a lot no one understands you anyway
4) if play death metal, dont worry about lyrics, just sound like the cookie monster and you will be hailed as one of the most original death metal vocalists
5) if you play black metal, just think of as many synonyms for satan and evil and put them together and have a high pitched wail/screech
6) if you play power metal, look to Manowar for inspiration ;) put the words steel, fight, die, and mighty together and youve got a power metal song (i like some power metal cause its fun to listen to)
7) if you play prog, good luck. you have to sing well and come up with intelligent lyrics that could be anything from fantasy to the political issues of today. All hail prog - king of all metal!!!

Wow, someone's really being a progsnob here...:p

and before you steriotype power metal lyrics, why dont you listen to some Angra, Blind Guardian, Adagio...hell, you ARE on a Symphony X forum too, so obviously you like their lyrics hehe (SyX has too much of a power metal sound for me to call them mere progmetal).

dude, im just jokin around. :loco:

you dont take that list seriously do you? i love angra (my fav power metal band), blind guardian, manowar, nevermore, iced earth and a whole bunch of others too.

it was a joke. Learn to laugh!!!

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
dude, im just jokin around. :loco:

you dont take that list seriously do you? i love angra (my fav power metal band), blind guardian, manowar, nevermore, iced earth and a whole bunch of others too.

it was a joke. Learn to laugh!!!

Sorry about that dude...I have been on message boards before where people post stuff like that and are serious coughmikeportnoyforumcough. No hard feelings! :)

ROFL @ Soul of Ice :lol:
that list really kicked ass hahahha!!!! :lol:
As for the powermetal with epic lyrics, you are right about Manowar (or Virgin Steele, or other bands in that mood)... one day when i was exercising for a Java exam i had in the university, i even thought about doing a program that would have mixed randomly the words: brothers, steel, leather, metal, fight, swords, Valhalla, blood, spikes, enemies, die, ride, metal (oops i already said it lol :lol: ) and would have made an output text, giving a perfect lyric for an epic metal song ROFL :D
Too bad i don't have a band to write lyrics for, and so i concentrated myself on a exercise about flight charts of a fake airline LOL :lol:
If someone needs that program i will be glad to make it for the reasonable price of US $50 :D

X-Greets,
Knight_

Originally posted by Knight_
ROFL @ Soul of Ice :lol:
that list really kicked ass hahahha!!!! :lol:
As for the powermetal with epic lyrics, you are right about Manowar (or Virgin Steele, or other bands in that mood)... one day when i was exercising for a Java exam i had in the university, i even thought about doing a program that would have mixed randomly the words: brothers, steel, leather, metal, fight, swords, Valhalla, blood, spikes, enemies, die, ride, metal (oops i already said it lol :lol: )

Heh, at least it'll come more times...like it does in most Manowar songs. :lol:

"4) if play death metal, dont worry about lyrics, just sound like the cookie monster and you will be hailed as one of the most original death metal vocalists
"
hehe...
i hear that alexi laiho of children of bodom just gets on the mic and grunts and says all sorts of random maniacal shit and that's why they hardly have any lyrics printed with the album

hmm...one of the times i came up with lyrics i liked...i just played the riff, and totally relaxed, and closed my eyes and the first thing that came to mind suited the music, and it was the theme...so i just kept expanding on that and i had this story by the end of it...and shit it rhymed!

whatever is on your mind buddy!

but if the song makes you think of realms of terror and death, write about that...if it makes you think of walking alone through the dark, write about THAT and if all else fails ...shit man i dunno just play around w/ something