lyrics to sleep is a curse

TrueBeliever

michael
Jun 8, 2002
london
I don't know if this has been discussed previously (I can't use the search) or whether it's considered off-topic (if so I apologize), but I was curious if anyone knew what that song was about. I normally couldn't care less about lyrics, but I've been listening to that song several times a day for a couple of weeks so I became curious. Also, I find analyzing song lyrics very difficult because the meaning is usually less general than other poetry. So if you feel like helping, thanks...

Starvox: Of the two releases, "Body Map" deals with these views more specifically, and I find it to be the better of the two albums. Much darker, more romantic…Some of the lyrics read, "I killed myself, because I was stupid,” "life means more since I’ve stopped thinking..."

Toby: Oh, that song I wrote lyrics for! <Laughing>

Starvox: Damn! <Laughing> But it seems to fit...at least for me.

Toby: Byron and I think very much alike, so it does fit.

Starvox: The tragic element in it, is that it seems that the Lady is what was keeping you 'going' and she is what ultimately brings destruction.

Toby: Hmm, what Lady?

Byron: Oops, gotcha!

Starvox: Perhaps I am too romantic! It seemed to me that a great deal of it was written about an ill fated relationship, but their is also a spiritual aspect too.

Toby: <laughing> “Sleep is a curse” is not about love, or romance, or a woman. <Smiles> Nope, not at all, my friend.

Starvox: Well, women have been destroying me for 21 years, so I sort of see freckled female faces behind every shadow. It’s no wonder I would interpret it the way I have!

Toby: <laughing> Well we don't want to write about something so – earthly.

Byron: Yeah, we want to stir the imagination.

Toby: Well, that song is definitely okay to come up with your own interpretation of. I've heard four different interpretations of it, which is great. Because you can individualize art. If I tell you the specifics of it, it might lose the romantic imagery that you have.

Byron: Don't feel bad. I have no idea what's going on!

Toby: It's definitely about a very, very specific experience or groups of experiences I had, and I like that people can find their own experiences in it because no one would ever be able to relate to what I think about when I hear the song.

Byron: After all, aren't we all having different perspectives of the same experience, ultimately?

That is good, because that's probably the best answer I could expect. If it's not something that's only personal then different perspectives are possible. But I hate things that don't have a real meaning. E.g. in Pulp Fiction there's no real answer to what's in the suitcase, thus, it becomes meaningless to speculate (I could probably think of a better example, but not quickly).

In terms of Sleep is a Curse, I would reorganize the first two lines into "Life means more since I stopped thinking life means more." That is, if there no divinity, than everything earthly becomes more meaningful, which would fit with "the son of god is nothing more than this". Also, the realization thereof: "I think I have it, I'm an angel". Perhaps also the glorification of art..."the music led our dying minds to heaven", that is, heaven is a state on earth achieved through art...And if this life is what is meaningful, than every second away from it would be a curse?

Basically I just wanted to make sure it didn't have a meaning that would confine interpretation (for example, if it was deliberately christian)

haha i highly doubt lyrics penned by toby/byron would be deliberately christian!

sometimes things that don't have a meaning are necessary and better than having a meaning. the case in pulp fiction, for example: the point of the movie wasn't what was in the case and, indeed, if it was specified what WAS in the case, that would distract people from the actual meat of the film. so it was pretty critical that it be left undefined, and NOT to exist as a puzzle (i think Tarantino said something along those lines). nabokov also detested when people thought he worked puzzles into his writing for people to solve, when the ambiguity and confusion was sometimes the point, not the solving. (an exception, of course, being "the vane sisters", one of the greatest puzzle stories of all time).

blah blah i'm an english major blah blah

xfer said:
haha i highly doubt lyrics penned by toby/byron would be deliberately christian!

One never knows.

I think I see what you mean about Pulp Fiction though. The only problem is that even if it isn't meant to be attempted to be defined, it is. It has become for most people, in your words, a puzzle.

Postscript: Is there a particular reason everyone here is from Boston?

Addition: My signature is huge, I really need to resize it, but I don't feel like it.

hey, just because some twinks feel like subverting the artist's intent doesn't mean it wasn't good intent in the first place!

we're not all from boston. me, toby, mia, greg, forbes, sam, DJ, kleo, um, is that it? that's like 1/3 of the regular posters.

I was curious if anyone here was actually in the band, which seemed feasible with the number of people here from Boston.

I thought this was easier to read than
my normal color...

As for the saturn comment...I have no idea what you're talking about...

Maybe that was a clue.

I take it you haven't really absorbed much motW songs/lyrics.

Well I already hate Josh (I've only ever met one Josh in Baltimore, so I think it's the most logical conclusion that it's the same person).

I'm not sure what to say here except that yeah I was in motW and I live in Baltimore and I know 4 other Joshes that live in Baltimore. And I have my own ideas about Sleep is a Curse.

oh and Baltimore > Boston ;)