sometimes is no good to know the real meaning of the lyrics

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
that's it...know the real meaning can be a shit...

this is what happened to me:

i was listening to "the night and the silent water" an Opeth's song and i thought that the lyrics were about a girl who have died or something like. Ok, weeks later i was reading an interview with Mikael (the singer) and he said that the song is about his grandfather who had died.

conclusion: i didn't like it in several ways.

fuck

yeah, but that is the bad thing...the writer is the owner of the main topic... if he tells you what the song really means, maybe he will destroy the impressions you have about the lyrics, the image you create...it's hard, after that, to keep your first impression.

It's true that it may damage your original idea i guess, but, for me at least, it isn't too hard to put what the writer says behind the feelings you get form the song.
For example, with the Opeth song Dirge For November, i know it's about suicide, but i twisted the lyrics around to make it seem like, to me, it's about the end of Autumn.
But you're right, it does have some effect and i suppose it would be better if the song was about what you actually thought it was about.

I think it's important that songs can mean different things to different people, but at the same time I think it's a little insulting to the artist to take a completely catch-as-catch-can attitude toward the song. I mean, he put his blood and tears into writing a story about a rusting automaton, and because you thought he said "Otto's Baton" the first time you heard the song you think it has more value as a ditty about a bus-driving cheerleader?

you know, the song about the rusting automaton created by the Victorian-era steamologist, sitting forgotten in the attic of his London townhouse waiting to be discovered by mischievious little boys at play?

o wait, that's a song that only plays on the radio station of my mind.

I was just trying to think of a fictional example, dude. :)

i think there's a difference between someone who tries to interpret a song about falling leaves as a song about the end of adolescence (as opposed to the artist's intent as the song being about the death of his wife) and someone who mishears the line as FORLORN SLEEVES, though.

I think it's always important you take music and make it mean something to YOU, whatever that may be. That is the true essence of music is to almost personalize what you hear, make it your own in your mind. Don't give a shit what the song is ACTUALLY about. That's why i love lyrics that are kind of abstract that don't have a specific told meaning about them. Like, for example, J.R. Hayes of Pig Destroyer's lyrics are kind of like what i mean. But it doesn't even have to be that style. Any lyrics you should relate to yourself and not worry about what the actual meaning is. Personally, when an artist puts forth that actual meaning in like an interview it doesn't bug me much.

Originally posted by LoboUivante
the same happened to me when Danny from Anathema said that Under a Veil isn't about a dying love but about a dead bird...:mad:

oh shit!

Originally posted by xfer
you know, the song about the rusting automaton created by the Victorian-era steamologist, sitting forgotten in the attic of his London townhouse waiting to be discovered by mischievious little boys at play?

o wait, that's a song that only plays on the radio station of my mind.

I was just trying to think of a fictional example, dude. :)

i think I heard that line somewhere in a fear factory song, actually.

Fear Factory song meanings always crack me up, i mean... they had this really original sound and this equally good lyrics (all about machine vs humans).

I thought Linchpin all was about "you can't brake me"... but it seem that a linchpin is a pin that holds the machines core. Well i don't really care about what they think they are talking about, those songs are mine ;)

image.jpg

a picture of otto, since xfer mentioned his name. but i don't know what i'm doing, and toby said thesimpsons.com doesnt let u post pictures anyway. i also wanted to draw a chearlader skirt on him. i hate computers.