Mörk nebulosa

It's actually on several songs that I don't sing all the written words...for me it's not really important what stuff that is sung and what stuff are just in writings...I look at it from an album perspective..the whole album is a piece of art and every part of it is necessary to complete the artwork. Every part that's not sung is done that [remove] consciously..so it didn't just ended [end] up this way.

mr V

I can't help correcting everyone, sorry :p .

Most interesting! This is certainly a fresh perspective, most "artists" feel the need to include all the lyrics. It does incite the reader to force him/herself to really pay attention to the lyrics to see what's written or not. That's very difficult for us non-native Swedes, but I love challenges.

Mr V, what about the Skogen Sover issue?

It's actually on several songs that I don't sing all the written words...for me it's not really important what stuff that is sung and what stuff are just in writings...I look at it from an album perspective..the whole album is a piece of art and every part of it is necessary to complete the artwork. Every part that's not sung is done that consciously..so it didn't just ended up this way.

mr V

thanks for the explanation, i have supposed there was a reason for this, but i wasn't sure about which reason :)

Mr V, what about the Skogen Sover issue?

but you're obsessed by this question daniel!!!!!

please andreas answer to him about this issue!!!!! :lol:

thanks for the explanation, i have supposed there was a reason for this, but i wasn't sure about which reason :)

but you're obsessed by this question daniel!!!!!

Andreas please answer him about this issue!!!!! :lol:

Haha when I have doubt, it'll keep nagging me until I find/see an answer to it. Due to the "mörk nebulosa" issue, I really want to know if it's a printing mistake or if it's on purpose. I think it's on purpose, but I'd like to know what Andreas thinks.

Actually, despite what they'd like to believe, most Swedes do not speak perfect English. While young, educated Swedes speak *pretty good* English, I wouldn't say it's the majority of them and it's certainly not perfect. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Swedes think their English is way better than it really is. Having Swedes correct my English and be *wrong* only to have them pretend that it's "British English" has made me very, very bitter and aggressive about the English language in Sweden. It would be like me, a foreigner, correcting someone from Gothenburg because they used a word that was uncommon in Norrland and then claiming that it was Rikssvenska. That is to say: pompous, haughty and ultimately shameful behavior. I understand that it is chic among bourgeois Europeans to hate America and American English, but that behavior infuriates me.

/rant

Actually, despite what they'd like to believe, most Swedes do not speak perfect English. While young, educated Swedes speak *pretty good* English, I wouldn't say it's the majority of them and it's certainly not perfect. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Swedes think their English is way better than it really is. Having Swedes correct my English and be *wrong* only to have them pretend that it's "British English" has made me very, very bitter and aggressive about the English language in Sweden. It would be like me, a foreigner, correcting someone from Gothenburg because they used a word that was uncommon in Norrland and then claiming that it was Rikssvenska. That is to say: pompous, haughty and ultimately shameful behavior. I understand that it is chic among bourgeois Europeans to hate America and American English, but that behavior infuriates me.

/rant

Most interesting! I said that because that's what I saw when I was there, but, then again, the girl who tried hitting on me at the Karaoke Metal bar in Stockholm didn't speak English. Or maybe she got scared. Who knows. A colleague of my father said he didn't learn any Swedish when he was in Sweden because all Swedes speak perfect English, but he only stayed there for a couple of months. So, IMO, you're probably right, since you've lived there for some time and have probably dealt with Swedes of all social strata. However, I do believe that UK Eng is better in many aspects (for linguistic reasons), but that goes in another thread.

British English isn't superior, IMO. The differences are really quite negligible in written language, and anyone playing them up is kidding themselves. There are, of course, differences, but having read plenty of books in 'British English,' (and written and translated in/to it) including academic and research work, I can say that the formal language is largely exactly the same except for some spelling. The thing that actually makes me laugh the hardest, is that British English has started taking American English spellings and usages into the language thus making them more acceptable. So, in essence, the language is becoming *more* compatible with time.

It is in slang that the largest differences come up. I have trouble believing that someone with a strong cockney accent and someone with a strong southern accent would have an easy time communicating, but those are minorities speaking extreme dialects.

British English isn't superior, IMO. The differences are really quite negligible in written language, and anyone playing them up is kidding themselves. There are, of course, differences, but having read plenty of books in 'British English,' (and written and translated in/to it) including academic and research work, I can say that the formal language is largely exactly the same except for some spelling. The thing that actually makes me laugh the hardest, is that British English has started taking American English spellings and usages into the language thus making them more acceptable. So, in essence, the language is becoming *more* compatible with time.

It is in slang that the largest differences come up. I have trouble believing that someone with a strong cockney accent and someone with a strong southern accent would have an easy time communicating, but those are minorities speaking extreme dialects.

Hoho don't start with the Southern Accent! A friend has it, and I was there (Dorchester, Dorset), and really, barely understandable. Some awkward moments at the table with the family :lol:. I still think UK English is better in many ways (note "better", not "superior") as in, for example, placing the period/comma outside the quotation. US English is changing in order to "become more acceptable" too. See the MLA, they now use 27 May instead of May 27.

I understand that it is chic among bourgeois Europeans to hate America and American English, but that behavior infuriates me. /rant
it's not chic, it's just sincerely how people feel. I noticed that americans have trouble accepting the fact that a whole lot (most?) europeans simply dislike americans. To say hate is really too strong a word, europeans just can't stand that superior american attitude towards the rest of the world. I can imagine it can reflect on the prefference of british english over the american english. I don't care about the nuances but when the spelling checker tells me colour, honour, neighbour, favourite are written wrongly i just purposely ignore it.

it's not chic, it's just sincerely how people feel. I noticed that americans have trouble accepting the fact that a whole lot (most?) europeans simply dislike americans. To say hate is really too strong a word, europeans just can't stand that superior american attitude towards the rest of the world. I can imagine it can reflect on the prefference of british english over the american english. I don't care about the nuances but when the spelling checker tells me colour, honour, neighbour, favourite are written wrongly i just purposely ignore it.
I'm not going to have a long debate with you about this, but the supreme hypocrisy of Europeans saying that Americans have a "superior attitude" needs to be acknowledged. I have encountered more ignorant, stuck up, ill-informed opinions about the United States since being in Europe than I can name. People know very little about the country in reality or how it works, but they seem to think they know everything because they watch shitty American TV. And this leads to the common stereotype that Americans are dumb. Who's feeling superior if everyone is running around thinking an entire nation is filled with stupid people or somehow pretending that the country has no cultural legacy, while eating it up.

Secondly, Europeans disagreements with American foreign policy are things that I tend to agree with—I certainly was not a fan of Bush's foreign policy anymore than I'm a fan of Obama's—but Europe has been complicit in most of the US's foreign policy if not active participants, and European companies are just as rampantly exploitative of the third world as American companies are. I prefer living in Europe because I feel more at home in certain cultural values—certainly I feel uncomfortable with American political and economic values now—but Europe is following in America's footsteps. The European Union enforces neo-liberal policies and the World Bank and IMF are both fundamentally run by neo-liberal economists who were trained in England or the USA.

Also, and a final point, disliking someone because of where they're from is a discriminatory behavior and that I should just "accept" that Europeans have these attitudes towards Americans strikes me as ridiculous. Would it be OK for me to dislike you because of your background? Should you just "accept" that? I think this hostility towards Americans is really unnecessary, and while I'm sure it has a root in something, I consider it to sad and ignorant behavior. And this goes in all directions, mind you. One of the most exciting things for me about being outside of the US has been coming in contact with people from all sorts of places that have problematic relationships with the USA. It has been a tremendously giving and enlightening process. But that means that every time I meet someone from Russia, Iran or Iraq I have to drop my assumptions about who they are and take them on human-to-human.

What a novel idea.

So yeah, I guess I do find it hard to "accept" that "most" Europeans dislike Americans because that's an ignorant standpoint. And that you think it's somehow justifiable and acceptable is disappointing.

I'm not going to have a long debate with you about this, but the supreme hypocrisy of Europeans saying that Americans have a "superior attitude" needs to be acknowledged. I have encountered more ignorant, stuck up, ill-informed opinions about the United States since being in Europe than I can name. People know very little about the country in reality or how it works, but they seem to think they know everything because they watch shitty American TV. And this leads to the common stereotype that Americans are dumb. Who's feeling superior if everyone is running around thinking an entire nation is filled with stupid people or somehow pretending that the country has no cultural legacy, while eating it up.
you don't have to get so defensive, nobody is attacking you or America. It's just a fact that europeans dislike americans, for the reasons you mentioned or for some others. You should learn to accept and ignore this fact and not to hop on the fence like this every time you encounter this. Why? Because it's useless, you won't prove anybody anything. All they see is an offended in his patriotic feelings american who only proves their opinion by overreacting in this way.

Secondly, Europeans disagreements with American foreign policy are things that I tend to agree with—I certainly was not a fan of Bush's foreign policy anymore than I'm a fan of Obama's—but Europe has been complicit in most of the US's foreign policy if not active participants, and European companies are just as rampantly exploitative of the third world as American companies are. I prefer living in Europe because I feel more at home in certain cultural values—certainly I feel uncomfortable with American political and economic values now—but Europe is following in America's footsteps. The European Union enforces neo-liberal policies and the World Bank and IMF are both fundamentally run by neo-liberal economists who were trained in England or the USA.
i couldn't agree more. It's troubles me greatly that Europe follows America's example in so many ways. I can only hope it won't become United States of Europe in the end.

Also, and a final point, disliking someone because of where they're from is a discriminatory behavior and that I should just "accept" that Europeans have these attitudes towards Americans strikes me as ridiculous.
Why??? Most people like some nations more and the others less. Nothing discriminating about that, just some personal preferences. In most cases it doesn't result in any personal hate towards any certain people of those nations you happen to encounter in your life. Again, it strikes me that americans are the only ones who get so offended and get so defensive every time. Other nations have learned to live with that and even to laugh about it. Some humility wouldn't hurt, but i guess the blown up american patriotism won't have that.
Would it be OK for me to dislike you because of your background? Should you just "accept" that?
It was a shock to me some years ago to discover that Polish really hate russians. I had absolutely no idea, until i came here in NL. When i just got to know my bf, he had a good friend who was polish. When my bf told him that his new gf (me) was russian, the guy didn't want to ever meet me at all anymore! I was shocked and couldn't understand why. I mean, wtf! The guy never even met me, and he had absolutely no desire to ever do so just because i was russian! I wonder how *you* would react...

Since that time i learned that Poles and almost all former communist eastern european countries carry this hate towards Russia. I think vast majority of russians don't even know that, and see those nations more like their dear Slavic brothers. After the initial shock i learned to accept that. This hostility is so stupid and absolutely uncalled for but i don't think there's anything one can do about these irrational feelings.

But that means that every time I meet someone from Russia, Iran or Iraq I have to drop my assumptions about who they are and take them on human-to-human.

What a novel idea.
oh yes you do that, and i, together with all other american hating europeans, will keep calling americans names and refuse meeting them and have any contact with them. Wait, next time i might even punch them in the face for being so american.
/sarcasm

So yeah, I guess I do find it hard to "accept" that "most" Europeans dislike Americans because that's an ignorant standpoint. And that you think it's somehow justifiable and acceptable is disappointing.
It's as pointless to fight ignorance as it is to fight stupidity. If you prefer to get on the fence like that every time go ahead, i'm not so quixotic and won't waste my time and breath proving somebody's irrational hostility for my nation is irrational and really unnecessary.

you don't have to get so defensive, nobody is attacking you or America. It's just a fact that europeans dislike americans, for the reasons you mentioned or for some others. You should learn to accept and ignore this fact and not to hop on the fence like this every time you encounter this. Why? Because it's useless, you won't prove anybody anything. All they see is an offended in his patriotic feelings american who only proves their opinion by overreacting in this way.
I don't actually care if people attack 'America' per se, because most substantive critiques are things that I personally agree with. What I dislike is people making vast generalizations about the people of the United States or the idea that anyone generally "dislikes" Americans, or any nationality for that matter. Also, that people will read in their own stereotypes into my reaction isn't a surprise, but I'm not sure how it changes the issue even remotely.

i couldn't agree more. It's troubles me greatly that Europe follows America's example in so many ways. I can only hope it won't become United States of Europe in the end.
You and me both.

Why??? Most people like some nations more and the others less. Nothing discriminating about that, just some personal preferences. In most cases it doesn't result in any personal hate towards any certain people of those nations you happen to encounter in your life. Again, it strikes me that americans are the only ones who get so offended and get so defensive every time. Other nations have learned to live with that and even to laugh about it. Some humility wouldn't hurt, but i guess the blown up american patriotism won't have that.
Uh, firstly, as I was just saying, I don't really consider myself to be a particularly patriotic person. I do, however, dislike massive generalizations about the people with whom I was educated with, who make up my family and are my friends. I'm not a flag-waving 'patriot,' and I certainly don't have this stereotypical flag-waving attitude. I do, however, find it frustrating that it's entirely OK to take shots at people with whom you will never have any real contact with or know anything about.

By the way, Americans are *not* the only people who get upset when people insult their national origin. I have encountered many different people who have expressed having similar feelings including having an Iranian professor just recently say something to this extent in class: "I was part of the revolution and left the country given the results, I am highly critical of Iran but if someone criticizes Iran for one reason or another I still defend Iran and say 'While you were wearing deerskin we were doing algebra!'" I think this kind of response is actually quite common. Maybe the only reason you notice it from Americans is because you spend too much time complaining about the USA. ;) Or maybe you are reading your own bias into these reactions (that all Americans are hyper-patriotic)—it certainly seems you're reading it into my reaction.

It was a shock to me some years ago to discover that Polish really hate russians. I had absolutely no idea, until i came here in NL. When i just got to know my bf, he had a good friend who was polish. When my bf told him that his new gf (me) was russian, the guy didn't want to ever meet me at all anymore! I was shocked and couldn't understand why. I mean, wtf! The guy never even met me, and he had absolutely no desire to ever do so just because i was russian! I wonder how *you* would react...

Since that time i learned that Poles and almost all former communist eastern european countries carry this hate towards Russia. I think vast majority of russians don't even know that, and see those nations more like their dear Slavic brothers. After the initial shock i learned to accept that. This hostility is so stupid and absolutely uncalled for but i don't think there's anything one can do about these irrational feelings.
I would've told my significant other to tell the guy he was being a fucking moron. Whether or not it happens it's not justified. I can see why Poles might feel that way in historical context, but I don't think it actually justifies the behavior on the personal level. In fact, I think it's utterly ridiculous and that people who behave in such a manner should be ashamed of themselves. We are not the crimes of our fathers or even our countrymen. People may feel justified disliking the United States because of political reasons, but I didn't make those decisions. I voted repeatedly for different candidates and participated in protests and the democratic process to try to stop these things. So how, then, am I to be personally held responsible for this because of where I'm born and because of the culture I was reared in? It's silly and you see that.

But I do believe that speaking out against the stupidity is important. Naming it for others is just as important as for the person who is spouting the attitude.

oh yes you do that, and i, together with all other american hating europeans, will keep calling americans names and refuse meeting them and have any contact with them. Wait, next time i might even punch them in the face for being so american.
/sarcasm
Well that was dickish and condescending.

Actually, people have been straight up rude to me or aggressive about the USA when I meet them. I tend to not even bring up my nationality anymore because it means 2 hours of discussions about American politics and while I like American politics and think it's important, I'm sick of having to defend myself for things I'm not responsible for from people with only a cursory knowledge of the context.

It's as pointless to fight ignorance as it is to fight stupidity. If you prefer to get on the fence like that every time go ahead, i'm not so quixotic and won't waste my time and breath proving somebody's irrational hostility for my nation is irrational and really unnecessary.
I guess I have an inability to not call 'bullshit' when I see it.

I'm sick of having to defend myself for things I'm not responsible for from people with only a cursory knowledge of the context.

Ah but you shall! It is your god-given lot in life, muahahahahaha!!!!!!

Actually, I too have felt something similar to what you're discussing. Whilst living in Sweden, I never gave two cents about my origin, and was more or less unpatriotic in my beliefs.
After moving abroad however, and being constantly bombarded with the Danes attitudes and conseptions towards Swedes, I oftenly found myself defending Sweden despite the fact that I too was against many of the ways we tend to behave like as a nation. It was quite a weird feeling...
Nowadays I have a more relaxed attitude towards the whole thing, but on the other hand, the people I know have also said more or less everything they have to say about Swedes, so it doesn't confront me as much. We're basically beyond that point now.

Ah but you shall! It is your god-given lot in life, muahahahahaha!!!!!!

Actually, I too have felt something similar to what you're discussing. Whilst living in Sweden, I never gave two cents about my origin, and was more or less unpatriotic in my beliefs.
After moving abroad however, and being constantly bombarded with the Danes attitudes and conseptions towards Swedes, I oftenly found myself defending Sweden despite the fact that I too was against many of the ways we tend to behave like as a nation. It was quite a weird feeling...
Nowadays I have a more relaxed attitude towards the whole thing, but on the other hand, the people I know have also said more or less everything they have to say about Swedes, so it doesn't confront me as much. We're basically beyond that point now.
Yeah, it is a weird feeling, isn't it? It forces you to really think about it. These days I spend less time meeting new people, but especially when I'm actively meeting new people (which as a foreign student you're ALWAYS meeting new people and while not everyone might have deep conceptions and assumptions about Sweden, everyone has an opinion about the USA) I think that I just get so tired of those discussions that I can become a bit surly about it.

Right now I'm back to the "it's fun to explain things that I know to give some perspective," but I'm also not representative of the average American. I'm in Sweden, for one. That puts me well beyond average. And I prefer Swedish governance to American governance, and while I believe that given the choice many Americans would actually prefer it if understood properly—that's probably just me being naive. :lol: That means that in a sense I also have an outsider perspective on the USA.