Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Yes, that is correct. Orphaned Land's Mabool arrived in the mail today. It's been seven years since El Norra Alila, and it shows...

This is EPIC!!! You can tell a lot of effort went into this - lots of exotic instrumentation ( all middle eastern - no oriental this time :tickled: ), female choirs, clean male vox, roaring growls, orchestras, touches of 70's prog, a splash of 80's anthemic metal, something from the 90's (whatever the fuck interesting happened in that decade outside of grunge and seven string Ibanez playing by white guys with corn rows and ribbons :loco: ). In anycase, it's all very theatrical, especially with it being a concept album.

Here's the thing: it's also a tad pompous in a THERION kind of way at times, and that gritty, dusty, 'thousand year old mosque in ruins' atmosphere that El Norra Alila captured is gone. The death/doom atmosphere has morphed into a brighter, more mature, prog affair. I guess seven years might do that.

Dreamlord - approach with caution.

Demonspell - receive with open arms.

You can wait for a review soon, but I'll probably just cut and paste this post. :D

By the way, I wrote the above post after one listen.

I'm on the second listen now, and it's sounding even better. This is some seriously good shit (as Papa Josh would say).

really? man, I wanted some more doom death with weird instruments. I don't listen to OL that much, but I always enjoy the albums when I do listen to them.

Dreamlord said:
really? man, I wanted some more doom death with weird instruments. I don't listen to OL that much, but I always enjoy the albums when I do listen to them.
It's quite a lavish affair, and screams of broadway. The production is huge, and there's a million things going on. You know me, I'm a sucker for the movie soundtrack vibe and I'm loving it.

If I went out on a limb, I'd say that you would prefer those older 'lower key' elements found in El Norra Alila, but then you've also been on a recent kick with big viking albums....

Here's an interesting take on the album: http://metalreview.com/albums/default.aspx?album=810

i prefer into eternity.... but only just :p because i find Mabool a little too epic.. i dunno into eternity feels like an album and this feels like as you said a fucknig production!

but they are both my favourates of this year

jester00 said:
but they are both my favourates of this year
Agreed - Into Eternity and Orphaned Land have the two best releases of 2004 thus far. I just hope they don't go unnoticed, but at least they're on the right label if they want a big push.

I loved El Norra Alila as well, albeit different, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time people are hearing about OL, considering that last release was 7-8 years old.

At least IE got onto the ProgPower V, that can only help. Good for them. It'll be interesting to see how OL go on the road with their new material, considering it is SO vast.

Bump...after having absorbed Mabool over the past week, I'd have to say that almost everything stated in the initial post is true...it certainly feels like an epic seven years in the making, the songs all sound huge (except for the perfectly welcome acoustic tracks) and very strong melodically, and the progressive touhces and exotic instrumentation work perfectly. I'm not bothered by the religious nature of the storyline too much, probably because the music captures it very well...don't tracks 10 and 11 sound exactly like rushing waves?

Good but not great , a step down from their previous & awesome El Norra Alila

ReDilS.kCalB said:
Good but not great , a step down from their previous & awesome El Norra Alila
Different, yes, but I wouldn't say it was a "step down" as such. And the more I think about it, the more of a cop out I think it would have been had OL released more of the same. I mean, you have to ask yourself, do you really need two El Norra Alila's in your CD collection? I know I don't.

JayKeeley said:
Different, yes, but I wouldn't say it was a "step down" as such. And the more I think about it, the more of a cop out I think it would have been had OL released more of the same. I mean, you have to ask yourself, do you really need two El Norra Alila's in your CD collection? I know I don't.
That's true , i like it better than before still not GREAT though but very good :)

Yep. I did get this cd finally.

I do like it, not the best thing I have ever heard, but it is enjoyable. I like the parts sung in hebrew the best...must be childhood fondness...

I agree with jay. It is very therion in the over the top way, but not as bad as it could be i guess.

And i love their live acoutic cover the paradise lost song, mercy....

Evil C.

I love this CD. I burned it off of MP3s a couple of months ago so I could listen to it at work. Finally I decided to pre-order it last month (with the new Vehemence) so I could have it on or near the release date on April 6th.

They still haven't fucking arrived yet.

CDUniverse can suck a fuck.

NAD and Black Winter Day - have you guys heard this yet? I can't imagine the two of you not going ga-ga over this. It's a fucking epic, 7 years in the making. And just like anything that monumental, it takes a while to get into...it's easily going to be in my year end list. I like it a little more now than when I wrote the review and so I'd give it a 9/10 now.