Maiden in Sydney Daily Tele today

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Rock band Iron Maiden's album The Number Of The Beast topped HMV poll to find greatest release in reign of The Queen

728420-iron-maiden.jpg

A CHART-topping release by heavy rockers Iron Maiden has been named the greatest album of the past 60 years.

The group's third LP The Number Of The Beast topped a month-long Jubilee poll to find the greatest releases during the Queen's reign.

The ever-popular Beatles claimed more than a fifth of the votes in the survey by retailer HMV with four titles in the top ten.
The Fab Four's highest entry was the group's biggest seller, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, at number three.

More than 30,000 votes were cast using social media.
Adele's 21 is the only album which is still in the current official UK chart top ten to make it into the upper reaches of the list.
Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon - chosen by British Prime Minister David Cameron when he cast a vote - was ranked fifth.
Iron Maiden's loyal fanbase was clearly mobilised in the voting as the band's winning album took more than nine per cent of all the votes.
The Number Of The Beast has sold more than 14 million copies worldwide and features hits such as Run To The Hills.
It also marked the debut of singer Bruce Dickinson, who was delighted by the band's poll success: "We're astonished and delighted to hear The Number of the Beast has been named number one in HMV's Diamond Jubilee survey for the greatest British album.
"Some of the most influential and classic albums from the past 60 years were in the running so it's a testament to our incredibly loyal and ever-supportive fans who voted for us.''
Electronic band Depeche Mode were runners-up in the list with Violator.
The 1990s proved to be the most popular decade for music, with 18 albums from the period making the top 60, while the 1970s provided 15.
HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo said: "The Queen has presided over the richest period of cultural achievement in our nation's history, so it's only right that her Diamond Jubilee, which also encapsulates 60 years of the official charts, should be a period when we reflect on the greatest British albums and films of the past six decades.''
1. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
2. Depeche Mode - Violator
3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. The Beatles - Abbey Road
5. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
6. The Beatles - Revolver
7. Queen - A Night at the Opera
8. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
9. Adele - 21
10. The Beatles - White Album
11. Led Zeppelin - IV
12. The Beatles - Rubber Soul
13. The Clash - London Calling
14. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
15. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
16. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
17. Radiohead - OK Computer
18. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
19. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
20. Oasis - Definitely Maybe

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...ign-of-the-queen/story-e6frexl9-1226369921199

Hmmm Adele at number 9. This shows the folly of allowing recent releases into these lists. As does OK Computer at 17. There was a poll (NME?) in the UK soon after it was released, in which is was voted the best album ever.

Great to see Maiden on top and Sabbath in there as well though!

Hmmm The Clash. They've always struck me as being overrated, at least from what I've heard of them. Thoughts?

I've not heard a lot of them, to be honest, but what I have heard sounded pretty light on, which hasn't encouraged me to delve any further. What is it about them that makes them so good/popular?

The Clash. They've always struck me as being overrated, at least from what I've heard of them. Thoughts?

I gotta disagree too mate, I can't remember the last time I disagreed with you.

What make them special to me, is the early albums, and the 'bite' they had, early punk, political and social, and not afraid to step outside the boundaries set by the 'scene' music wise.

But in saying that I and happily admit to not being a fan from Sandanista! onwards, both their most experimental stage, and their most popular.

Go out and listen the The Clash or Give 'em Enough Rope, and of course London Calling.

It might not be the first time I have heard it, but the song London Calling was on a show I was watching earlier, and I took notice of it because of this discussion. Good stuff. But why, why I ask, has my entire unsought Clash experience to date been almost exclusively 'Should I Stay or Should I Go?', which I think is utter rubbish?

Because it is when they were at the end of the band's life, and the record companies they always fought, paid 'em well to write pop songs. I am not a fan of much after London Calling, personally that album is where my love affair becomes a mild attraction.