Male Death/Female Clean Vocals

That's like referring to death growls as a "corny overplayed trick." It's a style of singing, and it happens to sound good when done correctly.

Death metal vocalization is integral to an entire style of music. The alternation of death and clean vocals (especially female vocals) rarely amounts to anything more than a gimmick used to dress up rock stupid moron music aimed at fat chicks in crushed velvet.

...just as death metal vocals are usually used in the service of horrific, noisy musical trainwrecks. Both can be executed well or poorly, in the service of excellent, mediocre, or awful compositions. As a style, it's a bit more specific than "death growls," but it's still just a style, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

...just as death metal vocals are usually used in the service of horrific, noisy musical trainwrecks. Both can be executed well or poorly, in the service of excellent, mediocre, or awful compositions. As a style, it's a bit more specific than "death growls," but it's still just a style, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Death metal is a 'style' though - the alternation of clean and death vox isn't a style, it's a technique, and, frankly, none of the bands using it are worth a shit. It's a 'goth' gesture, and goth intrusions into metal are basically excuses for fagging up existing genres without adding anything of substance.

Death metal is a 'style' though - the alternation of clean and death vox isn't a style, it's a technique, and, frankly, none of the bands using it are worth a shit. It's a 'goth' gesture, and goth intrusions into metal are basically excuses for fagging up existing genres without adding anything of substance.
You're insecure that your tr00 image and reputation would be diminished by other people liking what you like. How juvenile.

Death metal itself is a genre of music, but death metal VOCALS are a "style" of singing, or a technique, if you prefer the term. Alternating male death/female clean vocals is also a technique, a style of singing, and it's no inherently worse than death growls. Both can be done well or poorly, in the service of good music or bad music. Draconian is a good doom band that uses the technique well, and I'm looking for more bands that do the same.

I think what you mean to say is "I don't like alternating vocals." Which is fine. I don't give two shits what you like, and a rec thread would not the place to tell me about it even if I did. Shoo.

You're insecure that your tr00 image and reputation would be diminished by other people liking what you like. How juvenile.

Because, as we all know, no one else likes death metal. How about raising some rational objections instead of all the cyber Freud bullshit, eh?

Death metal itself is a genre of music, but death metal VOCALS are a "style" of singing, or a technique, if you prefer the term. Alternating male death/female clean vocals is also a technique, a style of singing, and it's no inherently worse than death growls.

Except that there's not a single band out there that has ever used it as anything but a fucking gimmick, whereas there are legions of bands using death vox alone that can be pointed to as serious artistic heavyweights.

Both can be done well or poorly, in the service of good music or bad music. Draconian is a good doom band that uses the technique well, and I'm looking for more bands that do the same.

Yeah, there's no pseudo-gothic bullshit in THIS band:

draconian_arf5.jpg

I notice they're signed up for the 'Metal Female Voices Fest' in October, which is very possibly the most gimmicky thing I've ever heard of. Hey, it's a festival of chick singers! We're not promoting this on the basis of something totally irrelevant, or anything. Nosiree!

GAY!

Except that there's not a single band out there that has ever used it as anything but a fucking gimmick, whereas there are legions of bands using death vox alone that can be pointed to as serious artistic heavyweights.

draconian_arf5.jpg

I notice they're signed up for the 'Metal Female Voices Fest' in October, which is very possibly the most gimmicky thing I've ever heard of. Hey, it's a festival of chick singers! We're not promoting this on the basis of something totally irrelevant, or anything. Nosiree!

GAY!

If you'd take your head out of your ass long enough, you might realize that people actually have differing opinions, and just because in your narrow mind it's "pseudo-gothic bullshit" or "totally irrelevant", it may be great to others. It's a different style, and just as legit as what you listen to...so fuck off.

If you'd take your head out of your ass long enough, you might realize that people actually have differing opinions, and just because in your narrow mind it's "pseudo-gothic bullshit" or "totally irrelevant", it may be great to others. It's a different style, and just as legit as what you listen to...so fuck off.

I'll try to speak slowly and use small words in the hope that it will penetrate your thick skull:

They're throwing a festival for bands with chick singers as if it even matters.

If by 'hopeless' you mean 'impervious to bullshit logic,' then yeah, that's me.

Bring an argument with some meat to it, and maybe we'll have something to discuss. Until then, stow it.

draconian_arf5.jpg

GAY!
lol, it's metal, ffs. I've never heard that band, but I've seen far worse...

let's not forget our valiant black metal saviour - Varg, about to go LARPing in the woods with the guys from Immortal, with his +3 spiked war hammer, and +2 mithril chain mail gloves.

Burzum_Varg2.jpg

lol, it's metal, ffs. I've never heard that band, but I've seen far worse...

let's not forget our valiant black metal saviour - Varg, about to go LARPing in the woods with the guys from Immortal, with his +3 spiked war hammer, and +2 mithril chain mail gloves.

Burzum_Varg2.jpg

On the one hand, we've got a guy with weapons who actually, you know, killed someone, and on the other the classic myspace 'If I angle away from the camera, no one will notice how chubby I am' goth pose. The former is authentic, the latter is a fat chick hoping desperately that the mirror lies.

I've dabbled in the Beauty and the Beast genre, and I've found it mostly irritating. Neither vocalist tends to be particularly good at their respective style...like they couldn't cut it on their own being the sole vocalist of a band. Not for me.

However.... calling a festival that features female lead singers gay is way off. I was in a band with a female lead singer. Was it a gimmick? Partly. She was hot, and dudes would show up simply to see her. Dudes who were, obviously, not gay.