Mandatory.... Power Metal?

Krow

Garbage Connoisseur
Mar 4, 2008
Roadkill, WV
It seems like a genre I COULD get into... but I dont know where to start. All I really know is Iced Earth (especially Horror Show which is fantastic) and CoB if you want to label them that way.

So yea... just recommend me some really good (and hopefully non gay) power metal.

I'd appreciate some with harsh vocals if possible too... as a way to ease me into the genre. (I'm not a huge fan of clean vocals in metal)

Well if your want to extend your power metal you should go into a more progressive area where bands sound less corny. Here is a list for you. I'll categorize the vocal style. Most of the clean vocals are more so progressive metal with power metal elements.

Clean Vocals:
Adagio
Fates Warning
Omen
Symphorce
Pyramaze
Black Majesty
Cryonic Temple
Iron Savior
Suspyre
Pirania
Myrath
Dominici
Cage
Rage
Communic
Odyssea
Royal Hunt
Symphony X
Rhapsody of Fire
Lost Horizon
Vanishing Point
Galloglass
Tarantula
Hibria
Human Fortress

Growls/Shrieks:
Callenish Circle
At The Gates
Norther
Skyfire
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Wintersun
Cadacross

no mention of Blind Guardian? their first two are practically speed metal with operatic vocals.

and I agree with Krow, I'm not a huge fan of cleans either. don't hate them, just prefer harsh vocals. which is probably why I didn't get into power metal until recently.

Ehhh...I'm not really because the majority usually disagrees or doesn't comment back so why bother..

Especially if there's already an odd thing about clean vocals being odd or music being gay or........ I'm not really the person to talk to, sorry, I've listened to Maiden since I was 8, kept on going, and just have a very very different vantage point of vocals, melodies, and all kinds of things....thanks for recing me for recs though. :loco:

in power metal i like low clean vocals best. unfortunately i dont know many bands like this.

if power metal has harsh vocals they're usually high pitched, which is more annoying than high clean vocals.

of course low harsh vocals > all, thus i listen to the genres i do.

I'd offer the following bands/songs to check out (sorry, only the first one has really "harsh" vocals; but they all feature vocalists who differ slightly from the norm):

Kiuas- On Winds of Death We Ride

Powerwolf- Prayer in the Dark

Sabaton- Attero Dominatus

Falconer- Mindtraveller

...and here's another Falconer while I'm at it:

Here's one with mildly harsh vocals:
Excelsis- We Are Kings

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'll offer up Dark At Dawn.

I recall lots of people trashing the vocals but when Sabaton and even Grave Digger are out there I don't really see anything wrong with his voice..in fact, I find his theatrics to surpass many vocalists..

Dark At Dawn's vocalist sounds like he's straining purposefully to me, which really bugs me. Joakim (Sabaton) just sounds like he's singing in his normal voice.

That's just my opinion.

Well, yeah..it obviously isn't his normal voice...... have you heard Chris Boltendahl or Jon Oliva's normal voices? Soft and harmless as anything... :p I feel his vocals in my gut and he actually does it tunefully and with this certain theatric flair, that's why I love them. On the subject of Sabaton, that is some inconsistent vocal work IMO. It will sound OK one song but then something else (like their 'Jawbreaker' cover for example), he sounds beyond atrocious.

For a grammi nominated band I always thought Sabaton sounded like shit. Honestly I feel no chang in each of their songs. Grave Digger is a better listen even if I'm wrong about Sabaton.

Grave Digger has some of the greatest metal ever made. You are correct.

newest one.

Unfortunately as the world turns away from tr00ness their legacy may be slowly forgotten.. :(

But when you really look at it. Iron Maiden are highly considered as one of the inventers and greatest influences of power metal. Probly the inventers let alone.