Manowar vs. Dark Tranquility...or, which one is False Metal?

Visa Guy

Visa Guy
Sep 12, 2006
Fair Oaks, California
I attended two concerts in San Francisco last night: Manowar and Dark Tranquility. The reason I was able to see both is because the "Evening with Manowar" show was slated to start at 8:00 pm and I had read the other thread on the forum re their show being only 90 minutes. Manowar came on late--8:20 and played for approx 100 minutes. I was then able to drive to the other venue and see the full DT show. I don't often rant in writing, but I am compelled to do so now by my ever increasing sense of offense and my inability to just "let it go."

I will be 50 years old in 3 months. I have been a metalhead for 40 years give or take. How many hundreds of shows have I seen since my first in 1978? How many bands have I met in that time? God only knows.

I remember when Manowar's first album, Battle Hymns, came out and I found it at Tower Records and bought it on the basis of its cover, which promised the type of aggressive fist-pumping/headbanging/ass-kicking metal my 18 year old man-child attitude craved. It delivered big time. I loved those first albums. I did, however, lose touch with Manowar over the years as a stalwart favorite, though I heard each new album as it came out, etc. I also, like every metalhead, was always aware of Manowar's huge status in Europe, etc., their rare US appearances, and their "willing to die for metal" attitude, "we love our Manowarriors" mantra and "death to false metal" platitude. I never did get to see them live, however. All of a sudden, they were announced to play San Francisco--my home away from home concert city. Unfortunately, it conflicted with the previously announced Dark Tranquility show I had intended to go to. I love DT live. I saw their first US performance (opening for Killswitch Engage, Sentenced and In Flames) in 2001 and have seen every San Francisco show since. Ahhhh! What to do? The answer was simple enough and I knew it. I had never seen Manowar and I had to see them at least once. They're Manowar for Christ's sake. I resigned myself to missing DT and went on with life.

Fast forward to Nathan's thread on this forum about his Manowar experience earlier this year--and the responses from others that followed. A 90 minute show (at best) with a lot of trash talking and bullshit from Joey? And everyone paid $100 for that? You're fucking kidding me. After bitching and moaning about the issue with my co-concertspiritor, Mel, I accepted the "limitation" of the Manowar show. In truth, there was a part of me that was happy about it because it seemed clear that I could see both Manowar and DT without missing any of either band's show. In some way, it was like God knew just what I wanted and delivered it on a platter.

Fast forward again to show night. Arrived at the venue for Manowar. After the obligatory search by security, we were all advised personally that there would be no video/photo taking of any type during the show, including with cell phones. Personally, I don't take a lot of photos during a show and never take any video. I was actually looking forward to being able to watch a show without every other person's phone blocking my view as they held it over their head to make sure that their shitty vibrating film with the worst sound imaginable was better than what I was able to experience because of them. However, I was struck by the message this no photo policy conveyed and its clear fuck you to the fans. I then went to the merch area to get my coveted tour shirt for what would probably be the one and only Manowar show I would get to see. Gene Simmons would have blushed in embarrassment at the merch area. In addition to numerous different T-shirts ($40), a polo shirt ($45), various long sleeve shirts ($70), there were Manowar notebooks, travel mugs, water bottles, caps, flags, baby wear, patches, condoms--yes, Manowar condoms--and a Costco isle's worth of every conceivable piece of Manowar ware you could ask--or not--for. Oh, and they were out of the ONE actual tour shirt except for smalls. This is America. not that there aren't any guys who wear smalls; its just that if you put your 100 average American guys in a room, maybe one or two of them will wear a small--and the other 98-99 guys will eat him/them because we are just that hungry.

Showtme. Let me make clear: Manowar put on a great show. It was a Manowar show. It was loud--the bass drum hits and low bass notes from Joey were like chiropractic manipulation as my spine, shoulder blades, hips, etc., vibrated back to pristine position. Eric's vocals were just that good--how he still hits those high screams and carries them forever and can then sing at all much less clearly and completely in tune is one of the medical mysteries of the world. Karl's guitar was a frenzy of shred and power chords. Joey's bass playing was perfect for the songs. However, every song had a 5 minute "power end" where Karl would hit a power chord as Joey bottomed out his bass to feedback. Getting that for one or two songs is understandable. Getting it for 75% of 14 songs is a waste of time that could have been used for 2-3 more songs. Then there was the coup de grace, Joey's rant. Nathan hit it on the head and I don't want to go over again here. In a nut shell: Manowar is the greatest; we deserve the money you paid for this show; you should be happy to pay us a lot of money for your tickets; we paid a lot of money for our curtains, projector and big-ass-speaker amps; this venue is a piece of shit; etc. He specifically told us it was a sold-out show. What??? I've been to this venue a hundred times. This is nowhere close to sold out. For fuck's sake, you've closed off the ENTIRETY of the wrap around balcony where a couple hundred people could be. Even the floor area wasn't packed. I've been here when its sold out and this ain't it. Period. Then it was the "all other bands are shit", you don't get the shit you get with your "$20 bands", etc., etc.--lets just take a big heaping steaming shit on every other band that there has ever been because they aren't Manowar. Finally, it was the wail against "false metal." Everything but Manowar is false metal and anyone who dares to listen to anything but Manowar really should be killed like the pussies they are.

At the end of the show, the band was gone like the wind. They played a film after the "live portion" ended so that people wouldn't leave the venue while they were escaping into the night. Moreover, i have a friend who goes hours early to every show he sees to be there when the band's bus pulls up so he can get pictures, signings, etc.--yes, Dan, I mean you. He gets EVERYTHING signed and photos with the bands EVERY time. And I mean EVERY FUCKING TIME. Not this time, however. He got to the venue around noon. Never saw the band. The bus pulled up one car behind his and he never saw the band at all.

So, let me recap. Manowar: proclaims that the fans are everything and they live for the fans. Fans, fans, fans. Did I say Fans? However, no pictures/vidoes of any kind to be taken by the fans; no meet and greet possibilities for those obsessives (of which i am often one) who get there early or stay late and hang by the bus, etc; excessively priced merch and embarrassingly crass merch (not to mention the lack of the one fucking required peice of merch: the tour shirt!!); a short show at 3-4 times the cost of the same length show; the band telling us we should be glad we paid the big bucks for this 100 minute show of which probably 25-30 minutes or more was not "music" but extended monotonous endings, movies, rants, etc.; the band lying to the fans about the cost of things and the sold-out nature of the show; and belittling all other bands (which we like to love) in every conceivable way.

Next: Dark Tranquility. Got to the venue just as they were starting their first song. For 90 minutes, DT just ran through the songs with little banter. But they kicked serious ass the entire 90 minutes. Sound and mix were perfect. The packed crowd was moshing, headbanging, etc. However, as opposed to the distanced detachment Manowar showed their fans, DT was what I want from a metal band. They were fans who connected with fans. For 90 minutes, there was a parade of people that jumped on stage from the front, hugged vocalist Stanne, made the metal sign (horns) and various "metal" faces and gestures and then dove off the stage into the frenzied crowd. Swear to God, there had to be a minimum of 50 stage dives during the show. With each person who climbed on stage, Stanne smiled at them, hugged them, let them take "selfies" with their cameras with him right there on stage, let them "rock out " for a few seconds before they dove back into the crowd. At one point, a boy of maybe 8-10 years old came on stage and Stanne was the perfect host for this kid before he went back to his dad in the crowd. Stanne himself ended up falling back into the crowd on 3 different occasions and be carried by crowd before depositing him back on the stage. The band never missed a beat. The whole show was a "community" of the band and the crowd. Anything went so long as it was respectful and band and crowd melded into one. Within 15 minutes of the show ending, the band members came into the venue and hung out with whoever wanted to talk with them, get pictures with them, have them sign things, etc. Yea, i was one of those fanboys and I got my pics with each band member and had them sign photos I had printed from the internet that I have already hung in my office. More than that, we talked. Just talked. Not necessarily about metal--though some of it certainly was--but we talked about their travels, their families and life on the road away from them so much. They were in no hurry. So long as the bus didn't have to leave for the 12 hour trip to Las Vegas yet, the band was happy to drink beer and spend time with whoever cared to spend time with them.

The what-should-now-be-obvious issue I have with Manowar? "False Metal." My understanding and experience with metal, i.e., the metal community, is that while we don't necessarily like the same kinds of metal or even necessarily get along all of the time in every way, metal is about the connection we have as society's somewhat misfits. Its a commonality we all share as to an attitude and a way of approaching and dealing with things. A certain individualistic bend we have to doing things our way regardless of the social norms or how we are looked at by "the adults in the room." Whether it be tattoos (of which I have none), long hair (of which I have none and never have), piercings (of which I have none) and/or black shirts (of which I have too many to count), we are our own people and we have a certain respect for our own kind, even if they really don't see eye to eye with us on what type of metal, clothes, etc. we like. We accept--sometimes begrudgingly--our brethren.

"False metal" is posers. People who pretend to be "metal" but aren't. They pretend to be metal for status, to be "cool", to fit in (with people who don't fit in), etc. So I look at the shows I saw last night and i can't help but be pissed to the gills because I cannot escape the conclusion that Manowar is the definition of False metal. They are detached and clearly uncaring about their fans. They aren't really "one of us" and they don't even want to be one of us. They think themselves better than us. We are there to serve them and they don't appreciate us for what we give them and how the burden of their existence and success has been borne by us--their fans. I'm not saying that Manowar doesn't make great music or put on a great show, etc. It was, for the most part, a great show. However, two songs into Dark Tranquility I felt more "at home" than I did at any time during Manowar's set. And its not just Dark Tranquility. 99% of the bands I see--and I see a lot of bands (as i know a lot of you out there do as well)--are the nicest, most appreciative, coolest, etc., people in the world. For some people, this is seen at PPUSA as all the bands hangout in the lobby to talk with you; drink in the Courtyard with their arms around you partying with you, etc. That is what a lot of us see numerous times every year as we go from show to show to show. Hey, I don't expect Manowar to invite us all over for dinner at their houses, but I do want and expect them to respect their fans and treat them accordingly. Their failure to do is false metal, indeed. Just my opinion....

There's a lot to comment on here, but I just wanted to say that last paragraph made me even more excited for my first ProgPower in September.

Holy shit, man. I'm 20 years your junior (30 this summer) and I feel almost exactly the same way about pretty much everything. If I somehow pick you out of the crowd this September I will happily buy you a drink or three and we can heartily BS about just these types of things. And while we're on the topic... the genre description "true metal" can go fuck itself.

There.

All of the people (J...) who defended Manowar on the last thread and made it about "me hating them" can go fuck themselves now.

Manowar is a joke and people need to stop pretending they are a serious band. They are a pathetic excuse for a band, an embarrassment to metal.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with them, Marc.

All of the people (J...) who defended Manowar on the last thread and made it about "me hating them" can go fuck themselves now.

Seriously? Getting THAT upset over MANOWAR?????????????? :lol:

Only reason I said you were biased is that "you" brought up potentially doing business with them that fell through. IE - you have personal biases against them.

Manowar has ALWAYS been about extremes. Always.
The fact that this is an issue in 2014 is beyond me.

People seem to take issue with the fact that for that price they should be hanging out at the bar before or after the show, come pick you up at your house, have dinner with you and your mom, etc, etc, etc... MANY bands aren't as accessible as others. Would it be cool if they did? Sure. I guess though it depends HOW important that is to you. There are PLENTY of bands aside from MANOWAR who claim they are god's gift to metal who are raging arseholes. Bottom line is, at least for me, I go to a show because I want to see a band I like put on a good performance.

Bottom line is this. I like Manowar's music..... a lot.....
As a fan, I have NO issue paying $75 to see them.
I am FAR from alone in this.
I still agree 100% though that for the price with no opening band the show should be longer, but what can you do?

A MANOWAR show has never been about being on the level of a Dark Tranquillity $20 gig. It's like a KISS show. It's something different. Special. Larger than life. Is it hokey? A Schtick? Gimmicky? YES!!! Of course!!!!

Always has, and always will. That's what has attracted so many fans worldwide to the band.

Almost the same age. Turning 47 with 34 years of metal gigs on my shoulders and I agreed 100% with the post(I am a "regular" guy. No long hair, no metal t-shirts...Work on a suit and tie but when someone asks me about music I simple say: I am Metal)

I was at 70.000 tons and spotted Mr. Stanne 3 or 4 times Mr. attending gigs from other bands. At Symphony X(I was 3 feet from him) and my jaw simple went to the floor. He sang at least 70% of the songs. At the Haunted open stage show he was almost in front of the stage and sang 100% of the songs. At The haunted small gig he went crownd surfing with us....TRUE METAL GUY....Did not refuse a single hand shake or photo...Those moments simple reinforces my metal blood!!!!

I love Manowar but they are posers as hell.

Will I attend a Manowar gig? yes because they play old songs but they are releasing crap music since.....a long time!!!!

Seriously? Getting THAT upset over MANOWAR?????????????? :lol:

Only reason I said you were biased is that "you" brought up potentially doing business with them that fell through. IE - you have personal biases against them.

Manowar has ALWAYS been about extremes. Always.
The fact that this is an issue in 2014 is beyond me.

People seem to take issue with the fact that for that price they should be hanging out at the bar before or after the show, come pick you up at your house, have dinner with you and your mom, etc, etc, etc... MANY bands aren't as accessible as others. Would it be cool if they did? Sure. I guess though it depends HOW important that is to you. There are PLENTY of bands aside from MANOWAR who claim they are god's gift to metal who are raging arseholes. Bottom line is, at least for me, I go to a show because I want to see a band I like put on a good performance.

Bottom line is this. I like Manowar's music..... a lot.....
As a fan, I have NO issue paying $75 to see them.
I am FAR from alone in this.
I still agree 100% though that for the price with no opening band the show should be longer, but what can you do?

A MANOWAR show has never been about being on the level of a Dark Tranquillity $20 gig. It's like a KISS show. It's something different. Special. Larger than life. Is it hokey? A Schtick? Gimmicky? YES!!! Of course!!!!

Always has, and always will. That's what has attracted so many fans worldwide to the band.

Bro, you know better than taking my "gfy" comment seriously, especially towards you. :kickass:

I've explained this before, but you see things the way you wanna see them. It's not just because of the business aspect. There's more to it that you will never know. The way they treat their fans, however, gimmicky, extreme or not, is NOT RIGHT. They are a joke and I'm sorry if that offends you, "brother in metal." Also, my point was not to illustrate how much I hate them, but to show that "hey, look, I am not alone to think they're pathetic!"

By the way, half of Joey's rants this time were also used in their tour 10 years ago. :lol:

Anyone who uses the term "false metal" and is serious about it (I.E. not OP - who seems like a cool guy) should be banned from the internet.

Manowar harkin back to that 80's metal era where some bands were just as (if not more interested) in their image, fame and being a rockstar, than they were their music. They have hung on to this larger than life image of machisimo regardless of how it has aged. I find the whole image tired, juvenile and ridiculous. More over I find their music to be one-note, borderline brain-dead and boring.

Having said all that, some of the things I hate about the band, some people like or never tired of. I don't think it is a matter of Dark Tranquility being better, "tr00'-er or less "false metal, it is simply a matter of taste. I would rather see DT's more music focused concert, but some people either prefer the bombast of Manowar, or simply prefer their style of music. I don't mind the OP giving their subjective opinions about which show they liked and why. But assertions beyond subjective opinion like "better" or "false/true" metal/fans seems a little silly.

There.

Manowar is a joke and people need to stop pretending they are a serious band. They are a pathetic excuse for a band, an embarrassment to metal.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with them, Marc.

I think what you need to do is separate the band(the music) from the personalities, and honestly, I think it's only Joey. Joey is a manipulator, a control freak and an ass obviously, I think the bank just follows what he says(although who knows if they really like it).....

But again, when you listen to songs such as "Dawn of Battle" and "Battle Hymns", "Hail to England" etc....you'll know how much power this band carries musically.

Personality wise I agree with you, but I do tend to think it's Joey only.....I mean, how often has anyone ever complained about anything any of the other band members have said?

If the band found another bass player(which I think they should do), they would have ALOT more fans and people would enjoy the music more.... Sure Joey is a great bass player, but there's plenty of other bass players that can probably handle the music just as well....

I think he is separating the band from the music (not that he has to like the music either, though). Shit, Into Glory Ride and Battle Hymns are some of my favorite metal records but those records are 3 decades old now. Band is as irrelevant in 2014 as it gets.

I think he is separating the band from the music (not that he has to like the music either, though). Shit, Into Glory Ride and Battle Hymns are some of my favorite metal records but those records are 3 decades old now. Band is as irrelevant in 2014 as it gets.

True, but "Dawn of Battle" is fairly recently. and holy crap that song smokes!!! The power in the vocals and chorus is as good as it gets when it comes to Power Metal...This song should truly be the anthem song our soldiers should play prior to going to war... It would be hard not to kick ass after listening to a song like this :)...It's always in my ipod song rotation when working out....

Last edited by a moderator:
From some of these responses, I think maybe there has been a bit of a misunderstanding of my point--my subjective opinion. I am not criticizing the band's music, the band's commercialism/capitalism, the musical portion of the show or the lack of meet and greet opportunities. If Manowar came back around next month I'd go see them again. Manowar is nothing more or less than Kiss in all of those respects and I have been a Kiss fan since the early 70's. My criticism is with Manowar's--and, yes, I admit it is just Joey since/but he is the band spokesman--decades consistent insistence of their dedication to the fans. To the extent that Gene Simmons speaks of and/or for Kiss, he never proclaims its all for the fans. Indeed, he makes very clear its all about him and the band--and even the band is a far second to him. He makes no bones about his obsession with money and his willingness to sell anything someone will pay money for. Despite his megalomania and his willingness to slam other people, however, he doesn't generally disrespect other bands, other music or pretend to be someone or something he's not. I don't expect to meet and greet Gene Simmons because he's made it very clear that he doesn't really give a shit about me except to the extent that I buy what he is selling, whether that be his music, his show, his merchandise, etc. Kiss has made a deal with the public: so long as we will buy what they are selling they will keep giving us what we want. Nothing more; nothing less. Kiss/Gene Simmons couldn't give a rat's ass what else we do; who else we do it with; who else we listen to; what else we buy; etc. so long as we giving him/Kiss enough so that he/they can live like they want to live. Gene Simmons/Kiss never blatantly lied to us--never told us the show was sold out when it was so obvious that it wasn't; never told us their costs were so much higher then they really were/are; never told us that the reasons the balcony was shut off was because the sound is "shitty" in balconies (apparently no other bands know this because the balcony is open for their shows) instead of that the balcony is closed because if it were open, you would really see how far from sold out the show was. Gene Simons/Kiss never told us that they were "real/true metal" and everything else was "false metal." My sole issue with Manowar is they do not practice what they preach. Their entire existence is founded on their insistence that we are all a brotherhood of warriors of metal who share the common bond and experiences of battle, etc., etc., etc. They demand the unifying gesture of the crowd raising there arms above their heads and locking their one hand around the other wrist--a gesture of strength in unity and solidarity and an unwillingness to break from the brotherhood. They are selling a concept that they clearly don't believe in. Hell, I am not criticizing their image and more than I criticize Kiss's make-up, decades-long "farewell tour", etc. I love the glam-era of metal with the big hair and make up; while I am not a death/metal metal fan per se, I have no problem with the black and white make up of the genre(s) and their (often but not always comical and commercially motivated) odes to everything satanic while they make the obligatory death/black metal faces/grimaces and body poses in cemeteries, etc. I'm not one of those everything that matters in life is metal/metal-related and I don't do anything but metal. I am almost 50 years old; I have a BA in Philosophy with a minor in Humanities (focus on post-modernist literature); a law degree and have been a practicing lawyer for the past 25 years. I have 3 kids (24 and two almost 19 year olds), a wife; family and friends and a dog and cat. I have a side business, Play America, where I do the work for foreign bands who need visas to play in the US. I have a life. I also like to think I have integrity and part of that is saying what I mean and meaning what I say and practicing what I preach. Manowar/Joey just struck a chord inside me that has been gnawing at me. As is often the case with me, it is not the specific instance that I am upset about--I don't really care what Manowar does or thinks, etc.; it has absolutely no impact on my life at all. It is the big picture--the concept: be true to those around you, especially those who put some measure of trust and faith in you, and don't feed them a bunch of bullshit for your success and tell them its candy for their benefit. Maybe it is the political and social/celebrity society we currently live in that is my real problem and Manowar just pushed my buttons and frustrations about what is going on in our country and the world in general. Anyway, this is why this a "forum"--a place of ideas, opinions, rants and raves. As can be seen, I have been a member of this forum since 2006 and have only 82 prior posts. This is only the second thread I have ever done. You can read or not; discuss or not; agree or not. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Lastly, to Mardoch--and anyone else, no need to buy me a drink; but I'm always happy to have a drink with pretty much anyone who just wants to hang out. At PPUSA, I'm Visa Guy--I do the visas for the PPUSA bands. I am always around from Wednesday afternoon to the wee morning hours of Sunday. I spend 4 days exclusively in the 2 block area between the venue and The Courtyard/ DaVinci's Pizza. I'm usually hanging with my metal/concert brother, a long haired Indian guy (Mel)--and I only identify him because he is pretty much the only Indian guy I've seen at PPUSA in my 11 years of going! Come up and see me.

Maybe it is the political and social/celebrity society we currently live in that is my real problem and Manowar just pushed my buttons and frustrations about what is going on in our country and the world in general.
Now THAT'S impressive. You're the first person to attend a Manowar show and wind up contemplating the political and societal ills of American culture. For your next concert review, perhaps you'll see Gwar and post a rant about supply-side economics. :loco:

Now THAT'S impressive. You're the first person to attend a Manowar show and wind up contemplating the political and societal ills of American culture. For your next concert review, perhaps you'll see Gwar and post a rant about supply-side economics. :loco:

ROFLMAO, that made my day.

As hilarious as that was (and it really was), there is a buttload of truth to what he's saying.

There's something horrifyingly counterfeit about a 30 year old band talking about "true metal" and "false metal" while simultaneously being dickheads to your own fans - as well as the apologists who worship them as these "gods" even in spite of being treated like shit.

I mean, let's think about this. We're talking about fans who actively worship a bunch of 40/50 something year old greased up losers who play music from the 80's - and said losers treat these paying fans like garbage. Manowar isn't exclusively a culprit here, but that doesn't excuse those guys either.

As hilarious as that was (and it really was), there is a buttload of truth to what he's saying.

There's something horrifyingly counterfeit about a 30 year old band talking about "true metal" and "false metal" while simultaneously being dickheads to your own fans - as well as the apologists who worship them as these "gods" even in spite of being treated like shit.

I mean, let's think about this. We're talking about fans who actively worship a bunch of 40/50 something year old greased up losers who play music from the 80's - and said losers treat these paying fans like garbage. Manowar isn't exclusively a culprit here, but that doesn't excuse those guys either.

I'm not defending Joey, because everyone knows how big of an ASS he is, BUT what's wrong with playing music from the 80s? Bands to it all the time.... Iron Maiden is the first band that comes to mind that plays a large select of back material...... I actually respect bands that do that more than I respect bands that say, "okay,, now it's 2014, so let's find out what type of metal is popular today, so that we can play that type of metal...."..... That has sellout written all over it.....

I completely get where you're coming from and I fully appreciate the points the OP is making. The situation is every bit as bad as you described. These are a bunch of greased up 60 year olds, led by a guy who's a complete douche bag, playing Metal that was considered cheesy by 80s standards, at deafening levels, for an over-priced fee. And everyone has a right to justly complain about that and poke fun of them for it. But at the same time, it's not a secret going in. It's Manowar. You're paying for 90 minutes of shut-your-brain-off-drink-some-beer-bang-your-head-hollar-out-the-lyrics music. You know Joey's going to rant... you know it's going to be stupid loud... and you know that every song is going to take two minutes more than it needs to before it ends. In my mind, it's like watching porn and complaining that dialog was shitty and that the guy with the bad mustache didn't seem believable in the role of pizza delivery guy. If I went and saw Alcest and it turned out to be what the OP described, I'd have a right to be annoyed. But it's Manowar. If you spent the duration of their show contemplating the decline of western civilization, I think you have to look inward.