Marcel Coenen

Daan1982

Feb 8, 2003
I'm curious, does anyone on this forum knows who he is?! He's a Dutch guy, just like me. I thought Alexi was a good guitar player (..and he sure is), but fuck man... this guy can shred like hell!!! :headbang: Check his website at www.marcelcoenen.com and download some of the 'real video' clips from the media section. Fucking amazing!

Nothing special :D

If ya wonna hear some really awesome shred then go to the great one and only Kazaa, and d/load a file named Paul Gilbert - Insane guitar solo :lol: Theres nothnig that can beat that one.

When I heard it for the first time I did a quadripple SHOE! :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Ralf said:
Abother gay shredder, good technic and nothing else...
Djeez, is that all you can say? He's 10 times better than me.. maybe 3546 better than you! And he's more than just a 'shredder', that's for sure. I really like his stuff, also the ballads...

his songs reminds me poor imitation of dream theater, I don't say that he cant play, coz he plays exellent but hiw compositions are nothing special to me, it's nothing new or creative.

I know him ... i have high expectations for the sun caged album, in these days he doesnt shred mutch and focus more on melody witch i think is the righ thing to do ... technically he's among the best there is, whippes the floor with alexi anytime

Listen to the song Killer Banshee by Sun Caged ... it has one of the best solos ive heard in awile

he may wipe the floor with alexi when it comes to shredding but alexi is easily one of the best guitarists in the world because of his amazing shredding abilities mixed with his fantastic compositions and melodies.

Nocturnal Emperor said:
he may wipe the floor with alexi when it comes to shredding but alexi is easily one of the best guitarists in the world because of his amazing shredding abilities mixed with his fantastic compositions and melodies.

Thats what I think too. Alexi has the best mixture of all!

What I see over and over again is that all these shredders (Malmsteen and his copies) use the neck Pickup when they play fast runs or sweeps/arpeggios. This shows that the can not play very clear! Alexi has no neck PU and this is what is fascinate me in Alexis style. He has a great feeling for melodies, solos and songwriting.

Marcel Coenen has a great feeling too. I like that! Many of these shredders try to bring feeling in their playing but the least got it. For example Michael Angelo. Damn, he is so fast but no feeling. Senseless shredding!
Marcel also has both, but I don't like the sound and the guitar (hehe, sorry but Ibanez...). But I enjoyed the vids very much! Thanks Daan1982 for the link!

@BodomiC: Yeah, Paul Gilbert is really great. Have you ever seen the one guitar video from him where he plays the fast run wich Alexi swiped (Alexi concede that when I aksed him, hehe ) at the end of "Black Widow" ?

Thilo said:
Thats what I think too. Alexi has the best mixture of all!

What I see over and over again is that all these shredders (Malmsteen and his copies) use the neck Pickup when they play fast runs or sweeps/arpeggios. This shows that the can not play very clear! Alexi has no neck PU and this is what is fascinate me in Alexis style. He has a great feeling for melodies, solos and songwriting.

What the fuck are you talking about?? :tickled:
Using the neck pickup just changes the sound of the guitar, a bit warmer and more rich on mids and bass.

I don´t know which crap guitar you´ve got, but mine sounds very nice on bridge PU setup and you HAVE to play CLEAR.

You HAVE to play CLEAR and ACCURATE, no matter which Pickup you use else your playing will just sound ---> o_O
Wake up man... :Smug:

Fleshcrawl said:
What the fuck are you talking about?? :tickled:
Using the neck pickup just changes the sound of the guitar, a bit warmer and more rich on mids and bass.

I don´t know which crap guitar you´ve got, but mine sounds very nice on bridge PU setup and you HAVE to play CLEAR.

You HAVE to play CLEAR and ACCURATE, no matter which Pickup you use else your playing will just sound ---> o_O
Wake up man... :Smug:

Hahaha! My crap guitar is a USA Jackson RR1.

Anyway, I'm not talking bout my guitar! I like the neck PU sound, I didn't say anything against them and their sound. Maybe you read my post better next time!

What I mean is that some guitarists use the neck PU while playing complicated stuff. I'm not saying that they all can not play. Yes, you have to play clear, BUT it sounds not that clear as with the bridge pickup. You can hear the note but not the stroke, you know what I mean. You will not hear it when the strokes and the playing in the left hand is not uniform, so its hard to hear when its not that accurate.
Also I think playing with Neck PU sounds not fast because the notes disperses in eachother. The result is a soundpulp (Soundbrei, für Dich), in my opinion.
I don't know much about Petrucci but he also uses the neck PU while playing fast, for example in "Another Day". Malmsteen plays every fuckin sweep with the neck PU.
I like Malmsteen and Petrucci and many other guitarists, but they all are not as good as Alexi, in MY opinion.

I hope I have explained better now what I mean/meant...

Thilo said:
I hope I have explained better now what I mean/meant...

Yep you did!
Sorry, but I had a hard day yesterday and was pretty tired after about 5 hours in our rehearsal room so I took things a bit too serius, haha. Never meant to offend you and your guitar ;-) :p
(in Englisch damit die andern auch mitbekommen was vor sich geht.)