Marshall JVM 410H doing Bay Area Thrash

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com

\m/ slayerrrrrrrrrrr!

I thought I'd share this as I was quite impressed with how well the JVM pulled together a thrash tone from one of the most inappropriate and weird sounding guitars I ever tracked for the genre. The amp impresses me more each time I use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
really fitting the style! the bass is a bit too upfront for me and I am not the biggest fan of that
kind of basssound, it fits the style, but I either want it cleaner or even more distorted ;)
Really reminds me of Destruction (especially the riffing and vocals, sounds like Schmier)

Ermz sorry to hijack the thread but I think it may be relative... btw your production sounds awesome as always :)
This is a quick pre-production I did for my band and we recorded with a JVM too. (Sorry for the vocals they were very poorly recorded)

Some questions...
Did you use a boost? I'm thinking of getting one since it's like "mandatory" for some fast metal
Do you prefer OD1 or OD2; Orange or Red mode? I used OD 2 orange mode (no boost) to a 1960AV fredman miked

Cheerssss :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying not to GAS for a JVM 410 but why the hell do all these clips sound so perfect. DAMN!!

HOLY BLASTBALLS! This tone is PHAT. Whaddamean is, i'm listening to it on laptop speakers, and it's just the fattest, meatiest chug I've heard this year. And it's still tight, no hi-gain splatter whatsoever. I think you've outdone Andy on the new Testament. :)

BTW, I'm in Metal Hammer Bulgaria and I'd be delighted if these guys shoot a promo to my email for review. Msg me if you care. :)

Did you use a boost? I'm thinking of getting one since it's like "mandatory" for some fast metal
Do you prefer OD1 or OD2; Orange or Red mode? I used OD 2 orange mode to a 1960AV fredman miked

I used a boost on this stuff to help carry the notes a bit more, since it was a passive pickup and the music was so fast.

Normally I like Orange OD1, but that has to be used with really groovy slow stuff. For this we used OD2 Red, simply because we needed that gain to compress the playing more. One of my fave outcomes was blending OD1 Orange with OD2 Red.

The cool thing about this amp is that every single mode works in its own way.

Thank ye for listening. Hopefully this may have sold a few more people on the amp. I dug it ever since hearing the tone on the last Arch Enemy.

I used a boost on this stuff to help carry the notes a bit more, since it was a passive pickup and the music was so fast.

Normally I like Orange OD1, but that has to be used with really groovy slow stuff. For this we used OD2 Red, simply because we needed that gain to compress the playing more. One of my fave outcomes was blending OD1 Orange with OD2 Red.

The cool thing about this amp is that every single mode works in its own way.

Thanks for sharing your experience! :worship:
Made a small research and found this on the JVM manual itself...

"OD2 is similar to the OD1 channel but with even more gain and a slightly different tone network with the Middle control shifted down to being centred around 500 Hz instead of the more typical Marshall value of 650 Hz. The result is 3 high gain modes that are ideal for both lead and modern rhythm metal tones."
:)

It would make sense why OD1 sounds more meaty then. When you drop the mids you still have more of that 300Hz stuff going on. Both channels have more than enough gain!

Re: the SLS3. It was a matter of all the factors coalescing. Picture this:

- The guitar is a neck-thru (so tubby and loose sounding by design)
- The neck AND wings are mahogany. (once again tubby and loose)
- It's painted white. (the huge paint layers this requires knocks off precious top-end)
- It was loaded with one of the most mid-heavy, and mid-awkward pickups around.

If you want a good example of what the Invader does to tone, check out Keith Merrow's Seymour pickup shoot out. It just makes the tone weird and 'stuck' sounding. Almost like you've applied a bad impulse to the DI or something.

With these things in mind, the JVM pulled off something close to a miracle here.

Rockin' thrash tone. I love my JVM. Definitely a keeper in my collection and every mode AND channel works toward producing usable and varying tones.

Totally awesome, especially with those issues in mind!

I allready liked the tone when you posted it raw in that raw tone thread...For me it sounded like the playing was what made part of it weird sounding, but it seems it's the guitar/PU combination.
Or was the playing part of it too? It also sounds played tubby to me, if that even makes a sense lol

Strange though, I always digged the invader on those shoot outs :p