Martin Lopez

junior_t_bob

New Metal Member
Apr 30, 2004
I've been playing guitar for 3 years, but listening and watching Martin on the DVD and the albums he's played on, I really wanna become a drummer. His use of the high-hat and the rest of the cymbals is simply awesome.

He's OK at best. You guys seriously need to listen to more drummers. Even for a metal drummer, he's just OK.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, both as a drummer and as a person. While I am not a drummer myself and I don't know what it takes to be one, I do know what I like, and his style definitely appeals to me. I don't really know and don't really care how he might "measure up" to others, although to my ear I think he's very good.

Well...I guess you would have to be a drummer to know how he measures up...

I think he's a very solid drummer. Just...solid. He's good, better than me. The thing I like most about him is that he plays his beats perfectly in time and almost never messes up. My problem with him, however, is that he never, NEVER does anything very original. He just plays generic metal beats, and while he plays them well, he just seems sort of lazy to me...like he could be much better if he wanted to...I really appreciated the sort of step up on Deliverance, but I still don't ever remember listening to an Opeth song and going "here comes that kickass Lopez fill...right here!". I don't know...for some reason I just don't like him.

Oh, and "The Lopez Beat" as people are calling it, actually got me to yell at my stereo because I've heard that stupid fucking beat in every other Opeth song. STOP USING IT, Martin, for god's sake.

Lopez is a fantastic drummer. Great feel, solid chops, and he can hang out in the pocket with the best of them. Sure he's not a evil genius like Virgil Donati, but he's great for Opeth. John D. of System of a Down once said "hundreds of great drummers have come and gone, but everyone will remember a great song". In my opinion, this applies to Lopez perfectly. He plays for the song. Actually, he reminds me of my all-time favorite drummer, Stewart Copeland. His work on Damnation especially blew me away.

Bartman

Rose Immortal said:
I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, both as a drummer and as a person. While I am not a drummer myself and I don't know what it takes to be one, I do know what I like, and his style definitely appeals to me. I don't really know and don't really care how he might "measure up" to others, although to my ear I think he's very good.

You said it Rose Immprtal. Even if he's not "great" like some of the more knowledgeable people say, I like the way he plays, and he's inspired me.

NOT ORIGINAL??!!???!!! AHHHHH!!!! wtf? don't mean to sound like an ass hole here, but, seriously...name another metal drummer that doesn't play "generic" metal.

marco minneman, i think thats how you spell his last name, he's a german drummer, i saw a drum clinic he did last november, he was insane, not only fast as fuck, but extremely technical, he was doing something like 7/8 with his right hand, 13/16 with his left hand, and 5/4 with his feet, all at once, he is a drum god.

yes speed isnt everything. i wholeheartedly agree with you.
i personally find that jane kusmin (kalmah) has some of my fav drum lines. i could just listen to the drum lines, and still find the music amazing...
and flo mounier (cryptopsy) has kick ass drum lines too...

Bartman--exactly right about his work from Damnation. Maybe it's easier for me because Opeth is my first and only metal band (the rest tends to be classic rock/prog for me), but I was very happy with his work on that album. The style is similar to another huge favorite of mine, Manu Katché, who has worked with artists such as Rick Wright and Peter Gabriel. I have also enjoyed some of López' recent adding of parts like that almost Latin/Middle Eastern sort of drumming that you hear in "Closure" and even in "Wreath". Personally, I am hoping that he's going to explore more of that kind of stuff. I know not everybody here likes the Damnation style (I mean, some of the stuff I've seen said about Steve Wilson, who I don't mind at all), but I think that the fact that he's able to adapt to diverse styles is what makes him interesting to me as a musician. He's not stuck in one single genre.

this has become an argument as to whether he's even a good drummer or not. of course he's an awesome drummer, there are better out there, but the style he brings to opeth is what matters, and what he's bringing is enjoyable to listen to.

^ Well, at least for you.

I think he's a solid drummer, good enough of Opeth. But he's not a standout drummer. He likes to hide behind the music, which is perfectly okay. It depends on how you like the drumming. I believe he could do some stuff to stand out more. Get more eclectic.

Pert, Portnoy, Carey, Hoglan....these drummers have what it takes to stand out. And I don't doubt that they could hide behind the music most of the time if they wanted to.

he stands out on some tracks. its probably hard for him to standout when opeth is a guitar based band.

Danny Carey of TOOL is the man. Sorry, but I win here.

And, he is a great drummer if you compare him to all drumset players in the world, including amateurs like you and me, but in the context of professional musicians in popular bands, (NOT just metal), he is right in the fuckin' middle. As I said, I really liked his playing on Deliverance, as that was a definite step up, but he's going to need to kick it up even more on the next album in order to change my mind.

My favorite drummer is Danny Carey...either him or Buddy Rich.

i listened to a lot of tool before i got into opeth, and carrey is a good drummer. i like listening to martin more, but that doesn't mean i'm claiming him to be a better drummer. mike gaspar of moonspell is a good, and fun to listen to drummer as well. ever since i saw them on the lamentations tour, i've been getting into them heavily.

Danny Carey's great, but I think Martin Lopez is rad, because he is so diverse in what all he can play, and he is a great percussionist also (not just drummer). He's very inspiring, but I think Anders Nordin is more of a metal drummer. If you like Opeth drumming, you should check out some other stuff to that would help you with becoming a metal drummer. Dimmu Borgir's Nick Barker, and Zyklon/Emperor's Trym are outstanding. Also study Bonhom and old drummers and learn the basics first, before you go to tackle to metal genre.

well put with that quote bartman.. Of course lopez isnt "as good as he could be" i mean he makes music for opeth, its not some solo album basing everything on the drums. That quote is perfect to relate to the outro to deliverance. Of course it isnt some kickass beat(it kinda is hehe) but the way it fits into the whole outro just makes it phenomenal.. thats what people remember and its why we all love opeth. Hell its the same way with the guitars. of course mike and pete dont go and solo like mad like satch or those other great guitarists. They play for different reasons(i say this for lack of a better word/phrase). Anyways thats my 2¢