Martin Lopez's Health

Yeah, when I saw Opeth [+ Axe] in London, he really disappointed me. Either he wasn't doing any kind of fast double bass, or one of the bass drum mics was turned off. I could seriously do a much better job than him, but I am arrogant :D

They opened with deliverance at birmingham not sure about the others. The sound guy has to get all the levels correct. I could definaltley see him going full blast. and he was doing it in all the other songs so making out that he cant technically do it is just silly.

im sorry... but:
wtf happend to martin??!!
\:
im flying from israel to france to see opeth next week..
i want lopez :[

Agalloch said:
Stop bashing Axenrot. He's a great drummer and you're lucky they just didn't cancel the tours outright. You "fans" are pathetic.

I think Axenrot is a really good drummers. But we are all feel sad about Martin's health, so that, I my self hate anyone who replaces him.

So... I think that's why they bashed Axenrot.

Yeah, it's tough to come in and do a job when everyone loves the band just so. Think of like this though, Axenrot is making it possible for them to still tour the new album so he deserves thanks for stepping in.

I am also disappointed and I hope Martin gets well soon.

I have a feeling this isn't a health thing. Just the way Mikael spoke about it in leeds, he didn't say he was unwell, he said he wasn't fit to play with Opeth, which could mean anything. Then he made us all Shout MARTIN'S A FUCKING CUNT (because axe is called martin too... but it seemed a bit codeish to me). Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Either way, I have to agree that the people who are bashing Axe are being pretty ungrateful. He was doing a damn good job from what I saw. He was actually playing Lopez's beats and arrangements, not his own, and he didn't screw anything up. Thats a feat. Maybe just didn't play with the same comfort and confidence Lopez would have... But I'm so glad Axe was there to fill the spot.

And Ghost Of Perdition sounded fucking awesome slow. And it wasn't even significantly slowed down, I think it's just the sound Opeth are sporting right now, really heavy toms and snare and subtle cymbals with the bass and distorted guitars hitting really really low ends.

I thought he was sloppy at first at the London gig, and he wasn't as subtle as Lopez, but I thought he did a great job considering. I'm sure people that could step into Lopez's shoes and do anywhere near that well are few and far between.

I certainly commend his effort, he did bloody well!

nothing can instead of the great martin lopez's drumming
:worship: MARTIN LOPEZ RULEZ :worship: i never want a new album from opeth which contain another drummer :yuk: :yuk:

i saw them in the mean fiddler and the forum in london. the first gig (the fiddler) in september axe was somtimes using only one foot for double bass parts and playing good but a bit too simple. the second gig he was much better, not just for double bass but he captured lopez's playing alot better, of coarse not as good but to be honest it isnt even filling in for martin.....opeth isnt exactley the easiest music to play:D lol

i guess he is doing the whole tour which is alot to ask for and they could of got alot worse of a replacment

Martin Lopez was an amazing drummer. He permenantly quite Opeth, i think it was May the 12th 2006, and has been replaced by Axe. Don't know about Axe much, but he certainly isn't as good as Lopez. Such a shame, we loved him so much and as far as i know, non of the Opeth fans are happy with him leaving the band. Well, we must wait and see how does it effect the sound of the next album. But to be honest, all the guyes kinda sucked in the GR album. If you compare, for exaplme, Still Life's songs with the GR stuff, you'll see the difference. I don't know why Opeth suddenly got famous and got closer to the main stream by the GR album. I think thier pervous releases were a lot better. If you disagree, would you explain what the bloody hell is the song"Atonement". Absolute joke. For me, when i heared Atonement, a was fuckin shocked that its a new release from Opeth.:puke: