Martriden

BUMP!!

This sound amazing Dave, love the kick and the whole attack of the mix.. i can't believe no one has replied yet besides me and Edward...

Come on guys, have a listen, it's a pro mix and very well produced and executed!

btw..

Dave, could you explain a bit on how you obtained this sound? guitars? amp? drums? basically everything interests me... ;)

Cheers!

Heard this over at the JCF forum...

Guys, guitars were Powerball and 5150 through a Mesa oversized, with an i5.

Dave, sounds absolutely godly! Great work! You need to produce more bands like this, not that Denver mallcore crap! LOL

Vocals on "The Art of Death Infernal" are pretty much double tracked all the way through. First track down the center, second track duplicated to 2 tracks, paned hard L and hard R and one shifted -10ms and the other 10ms, and mixed about 5 or 6 db under the center track. Handy little trick I use all the time. Works really well with vocals and you don't run into phase problems.

Artwork is Travis Smith.

Copied from Gearsluts:

Thanks for the comments guys!

The drums can sound a little machine like, especially on longer fills. Kick, Snare, and Toms are all %100 sample. I don't usually do that but some of the drum editing need deemed it necessary. Toms were sampled from his kit, Pearl Fusions, clear Emperor heads. Snare and Kicks are both a blend of 2 samples. In each case one sample I captured my self and the others I collected off the web. The kick was primarily one sample with another low passed at about 80hz and just mixed in a little. I like the triggers and low dynamics for this project however, gives it a nice punch. OHs were 2 SM81, which I love, and two Oktavia SDC (can't remember the model) spot micing HH and Ride. Don't like the Ocks so much on cymbals but they work all right. All of this tracked in an untreated basement with 7ft ceilings. Reflections and the shitty converters blur the high end a bit.

Guitar rhythms are quad tracked. 2 tracks of Engl Powerball and 2 tracks of 5150. All though a Mesa standard cab with V30s, miced with one Audix i5 into a SCA A12. Everything fed into the line in on the Firepod, the major week link in my chain. Guitar was a Jackson US made Rhoads with an EMG 81 in the bridge.

I went though a robbery at my studio a few months ago and there are a few things I'm still waiting on to get back to full strength. My converters / interface is one of them. The Firepod pres are actually pretty good but the conversion sucks. I'm on the list for a Crane Song Spider so hopefully I'll have a better chain with in a few weeks.

Bass was a Ibanez SR505 with Bartolini pickups and new XL strings. All bass was played by the lead guitarist and myself. Neither of us bass players so that might be what you're hearing Plec. The bass does shine a little more on a few of the other tracks. Final tone was a mix of the DI and a Sansamp Bassdriver DI into a SCA N72.

Vocals were all Shure SM7B > A12 > RNC. Tracked in about 3.5 hours, killer vocalist. Guitars took 4 days so we were a bit behind schedule .

Overall I'm pretty happy with the mix. Hopefully these guys can go somewhere with it!

DSS3 said:
Heard this over at the JCF forum...

Guys, guitars were Powerball and 5150 through a Mesa oversized, with an i5.

Dave, sounds absolutely godly! Great work! You need to produce more bands like this, not that Denver mallcore crap! LOL

Yea no kidding. The Denver scene is alright but apparently I needed to look to Montana for some real DM. :headbang: