5/25 - 5/27: MDF
5/28: Municipal Waste
5/29: Horna, Kommandant, Hellgoat
5/30: Ghoul
5/31 - 6/4: Austin, TX for Chaos in Tejas
6/6: Ringworm
6/7: Ceremony
6/8: Negative Approach
6/9: Free metal show at my favorite bar/pizza joint.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So this is less than 2 weeks away and almost a week away? Who's stoked?

I am very much looking forward to it. There are a few bands I really am looking forward to seeing live. One of them has cancelled on me twice. I won't say who. I don't want to jynx them.

I'm super busy up until a few days before I leave. I have the same type of schedule as dcowboys311 except before MDF. I will need to find time to pack.

Two day work week ahead of MDF! Can't wait for Thursday night. Agalloch and Autopsy in one night! My bucket list will have two more bands to scratch off!

I hate to shit on your bucket list, but I would recommend coming into Agalloch with low expectations. They were pretty horrible when I saw them live last year.

Still Thursday's line-up gets FEETUS, Rorschach, and Eyehategod - so it's still gonna be fun. Too bad I'm gonna have to miss that night.

I hate to shit on your bucket list, but I would recommend coming into Agalloch with low expectations. They were pretty horrible when I saw them live last year.

I have heard that from so many people.
This summer, they are coming to Chicago for the third time, and yet again, I will be out of town!!!

LOL - Someone out there wants to make sure I never see Agalloch.

Video from the set shot by person in the crowd.

From Twitter: Lars Gotrich @totalvibration
It's so nice to hear a "singer" in the mess of growls and screams. Confessor is practically serenading #mdf with doom.

Plus a picture i snapped from the stage during the set.
IMG_1948-e1338243233398.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
God Tier:
Mortuary Drape
The Devil's Blood
Tsjuder
Disma

Awesome Tier:
Sargeist
Morbid Saint
Hellbastard
Pentagram
Haemmorhage
Archgoat
Dragged Into Sunlight
Bethlehem
Bloody Phoenix

Meh Tier:
Anvil
Electric Wizard
Morgoth
Brujeria
Noothgrush

Suck Tier:
Morbid Angel
Saint Vitus
Demonical
October 31

God Tier:
Mortuary Drape
The Devil's Blood
Tsjuder
Disma

Awesome Tier:
Sargeist
Morbid Saint
Hellbastard
Pentagram
Haemmorhage
Archgoat
Dragged Into Sunlight
Bethlehem
Bloody Phoenix

Meh Tier:
Anvil
Electric Wizard
Morgoth
Brujeria
Noothgrush

Suck Tier:
Morbid Angel
Saint Vitus
Demonical
October 31

seems you have zero taste if you are putting October 31st in your suck tier.

Their music is fine but they had a terrible set. Morbid Angel played like 6 songs from my favorite death metal album of all time but they belong in the suck tier because they sucked.

They really did crush. I watched the first bit of their set from near the front, and it was just a little too loud for me, so I stepped back a bit and it really opened up and was awesome. You could really hear the vocals well in the mix, which was great as well.

I didn't watch the whole set, as I retired inside to watch Horna, I believe. But the six songs I stayed for sounded great!

To AeonicSlumber and others who missed the Thursday show: Agalloch were incredible, and only played material from their first two albums and demos.

It was a special set, and they played "You Were But a Ghost in My Arms" for the first time ever.

I will react to Brian's list first: we must have seen different versions of the Vitus and Wizard sets. Maybe I was a bit "chemically-enhanced" for them, but I thought they were both awesome. :)

Morbid Angel was good enough, but they were loud as shit and Trey walked off for their last three songs. It was a little weird. Maybe they were upset at their set getting cut short due to the curfew (it did take them 45 minutes to set up).

At least we can agree that Disma and Tsjuder were awesome.

I was also extremely impressed with Morbid Saint (playing Spectrum of Death in its ENTIRETY...WOW!), very much enjoyed what I heard from a lot of the black metal bands: they were all quality...except I had to skip the last 3 bands (great trio of Bethlehem, Sargeist, and Mortuary Drape....god DAMMIT I wish I didn't have to, but I was wayyy too tired to keep going).

The doom bands didn't disappoint either. Winter were heavy as shit, Church of Misery were groovy as shit and had a great crowd response, Confessor were loud as shit but their singer sounded amazing, and Disma were just phenomenal.

One thing I'll say: maybe they should add more bands I don't like to the list, because I was just too exhausted to watch everything I really wanted to. I skipped some sets at the end of a couple of days (Nasum....I know, I know...and the aforementioned black metal bands), and some bands I wanted to see in the middle of days (Yob, Macabre).

It's a great fest that always has something going on, but goddamn, it's really impossible to see all the good bands!