Matt's custom Jackson guitar

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

borg-706601.jpg

the previous update i was given of 2 weeks was miles off, no idea how long its going to be now....

its being painted at the mo apparently, i added a bit to it though, its now mercedes silver with black pinstripes on the edges. because i think they're shexy.

It would really annoy me if they said 2 weeks, and I enquired about it 2 weeks later only to get "It'll be 2 weeks" again lol:

Getting a custom is an epic gamble apparently. :lol: I hear about customshops fucking up orders all the time, so then you either have to settle for a "lesser" custom or wait another 6 months for them to re-do it.... Sucks.

'Whats this here?'
'EMGs'
'YOU FUCKERS I ASKED FOR SEYMOUR DUNCANS! DO IT AGAIN!'

Well, I was more along the lines of asking for triangle side position markers, getting dots.... Asking for a guitar without a pickguard, yet getting a big fat black one on it... Asking for a grade AAAAA flame, but gett

And then, there's this:

The amount of overtime this guitar has taken is well-documented, so I'm not gonna go into that. But in that extra long time, they gave me a cheap Gotoh bridge instead of the Tonepros I asked for, gave me stock 500k single volume/single tone wiring instead of the 1meg volume/500k push-pull tone to split the coils, and the bigger cosmetic issue is the binding. With the white pearloid pickguard, I wanted white pearloid binding on the body top and back, fingerboard, and headstock. What I have is BLACK (really close to white in Japan apparently) binding on the headstock and body top, and plain white around the fingerboard. (None was ever applied to the back oddly...)

Then there's the setup...lol It got to ESP Hollywood about 2 weeks ago. I asked that it be set up in Dev's tuning with his strings and stuff by the guy who set up his customs there in the shop. So it was supposed to come D'Addario's in G,C,G,C,G,C,E. What I got was a very poor setup in standard tuning with those dogshit SIT's they put on everything now. And not just a bad setup, an UNPLAYABLE/UNUSABLE setup. I picked it up, wasn't upset about the tuning issue, but the neck was so backbowed that it's buzzing from frets 1 to who-knows-how-high.

Being a former luthier/repair guy, no problem...I can set it up in the tuning I want and gauges with not so much of a cry. BUT, I decided to try and at least attempt tuning it to play with it until I got home, and snapped the D string because it was hung up in the nut slot. Guitars that retail at 7k should not require me to file out slots...sorry. Still undeterred, I decided to change the string, file out the slots, and try again. Unfortunately, just like the issue with my Egyptian V, the neck won't loosen up anymore. With the light bitch-ass strings they stuck on it, it's not pulling it forward enough to even straighten the rod out. It's close though... I'm hoping my choice of string being heavier will be enough to compensate it out and let me use it. I just went out and bought another box of strings, so tonite, I will do it all again and hope it works out.

It's unfortunate that the amount of time it will take to rebuild it, even IF they even maintain that schedule, is enough to make you say "fuck it...I'll just take it". I'm not that unhappy with the binding choice of colors. I think it looks great. If it plays okay under the strings I like, then I will keep it. But the bitch isn't in the guitar itself, but the practice of making it "sorta" like what you ordered and thinking it's okay. Then offering a slight discount or the rebuilding idea. (Rebuilding it, at their own kinda flexible leisurely time)

yeah ive heard about bad custom stories, i did actually keep getting the "ready in two weeks" then 2 weeks later "ready in 3 weeks" then 3 weeks later i got a "what colour did you want it again?"

the wait is killing me, but i can handle it, i understand at the moment they're snowed in under customer orders, that i guess are for artists a lot more important then myself so thats to be expected that mine wouldnt exactly be prioritised. im not sure if thats the case, not sure how they conduct their business, no bad words for the jackson dudes, i love them, the wait will make it even sweeter when i finally get it.