Maudlin of the Well - The Ferryman

MotW's "The Ferryman" is the section of...hrm..."the Aeneid" set to music. In its original Latin. :).

I think the album jacket has a translation, but it's about Charon and the land of the dead and whatnot.

~Viola

Yeah, I've seen them live at the last 2 Milwaukee Metalfests.

With the complexity of the music they play, it's near impossible to get the balances right. The first time I saw them, I wasn't too impressed, but it was pretty enjoyable last summer. And that was before I bought their albums...

it's impossible to achieve MOTW's sound live. they've got so many parts and layers. and so many soft, delicate parts that would get swallowed up

well, I'm still trying to get into their music... somethings I like very much, other parts are just boring... btw, I'm looking for their lyrics, but can't seen to find'em anywhere... any help?

I think listening to a MotW album while reading the lyrics is a completely different experience. It's sometimes hard to make out what's being said (well, that's true of any death-vox band or even a non-death-vox band as layered as MotW), but reading the booklet inserts helps a lot. Especially because the lyrics are really excellent.

I don't see lyrics on their homepage (except for the Secret Song)...perhaps I'll throw up a geocities page with the lyrics transcribed from my CD booklet.

-xfer

Originally posted by xfer
I think listening to a MotW album while reading the lyrics is a completely different experience. It's sometimes hard to make out what's being said (well, that's true of any death-vox band or even a non-death-vox band as layered as MotW), but reading the booklet inserts helps a lot. Especially because the lyrics are really excellent.

I don't see lyrics on their homepage (except for the Secret Song)...perhaps I'll throw up a geocities page with the lyrics transcribed from my CD booklet.

-xfer

What secret song???

They just put out the secret song as an untitled, internet-only release. You can find it on mp3.com and you can find lyrics and the mp3 at their homepage...either maudlinofthewell.com/secretsong.html or maudlinofthewell.com/secret.html, I don't remember which.

Tobias mentioned on the MotW list-serv that the secret song was the "key" to puzzle of their two albums Bath and Leaving Your Body Map. I looked into it a little and, although I don't fully understand yet, by the lyrics in the secretsong, it seems that they fashioned both albums along the lines of the Kabbala's Tree of Life. (this is borne out by the Tree of Life symbol that designates the Secret Song on MP3.com). For example, one of the cabalistic "keys" in the secretsong is the kabalastic key for Birth and maybe pain, which corresponds to the Bath song "Birth Pains of Astral Projection". There's also a war one, I think? (MotW song: "Gleam in Ranks") and a lot more.

If I knew anything about the kabbala I'd be able to say more. Byron, the death vox guy and sometimes lyricist, is a kabbala occult mysticism type, so who knows what he was thinking? It took me several months before I even realised there was more to the albums than just cool songs and lyrics. I guess music working on two levels is very cool, because even if you don't 'get' the puzzle behind it, you like the songs, and it also appeals to people who like complexity in their music...

Anyway, check it out. The beginnings of an interpretation were posted on the MotW yahoogroups mailing list a month or two ago, in an effort to elicit confirmation or denial from the band, but they clammed up so people could figure it out for themselves. Bastards.

xfer

um... uh..

I BENT MY WOOKIE!

Wookie%2001%20copy.JPG

ANDHEREISAWOOKIE

um..

i'll have to check out this "secret song". and as for MOTW sucking live, i read an interview where Byron and Tobias(i think that's right?) said that its hard for everyone to stay together on stage and of course that there were huge balance issues due to lack of equipment and the dynamics of the music. but they seemed to think the worst thing was everyone staying together, even jokingly saying they should get a conducter. i never heard 'em live though so i can't say whether that's right or not.

Originally posted by Demonspell
The secret song is excellent, in the same surrealistic plane between the ethereal and infernal as all of their work...nice to see that they made songs from Bath and Body Map available at at the www.mp3.com site.

The secret song definitely rules. Incidentally, I finally got around to ordering the Bath/Body Map albums. I got both in the set for twenty US dollars. I'll probably place an order for "My Fruit" before this month ends.

I'm definitely looking forward to future projects. Nuff said.

That's not a bad de facto title. I have it listed as "secret song" and, since I downloaded it from their website, the filename is:

-.mp3

which is what they had named it. So a search on Morpheus or Audiogalaxy would pull up secretsong by searching for -, I guess. But I would get it from the Maudlin site or mp3.com site.

By the way, Demonspell, if you have any interpretations of the secretsong and its effect on B/LYBM, throw 'em up here or on the Leavingyourbody list at yahoogroups.