Maybe a bit worn-out

Para-Void

Scratch or Stitch
Dec 2, 2003
Israel
I've come to contemplate at the effect of my musical habits on the outlook I have on life, and I do feel that it plays a certain role.
To sum it up, I'd say listening to the more extreme sides of metal music has consciously and subconsciously taught me some bad morals. One of them is that it's ok to give up.
Hey, there is a whole a lot of despair, sadness or anger in any kind of music, but where as in other musical forms you have some sort of a bitter-sweet approach, metal has a whole ideology involved concerning... err, let's say, the pityness of life? You also have sadness and despair in...say, classical music, but it comes of sounding heroic, different. I dunno, maybe I'm just saying this out of my general image about it.
In the end, I think it sinks in some level.
Maybe it's the individual from the first place that is drawn to the music, and not the other way, but there's always an interactive relationship. And as we have a whole forum listening pretty much to the same albums, I'd like to know what other people think about this. Do you even think someone could lead a happy and healthy life and put this influence aside? Can anyone tell this about himself?
I'm not talking about thrash or death metal, because those are different (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm talking here about sick stuff like Xasthur or Shape of Despair.

I was about to say something until I saw "I'm not talking about thrash or death metal" :lol: but what the heck:

I'm less concerned by this thread because I don't listen to all these extremely depressing and doomy bands, but actually I tend to ward myself from any influences music could bring. If we're talking about image, well let's say that no one could guess that I'm into extreme music. I don't have long hair, no beard, I wear normal clothes, and I'm a pretty joyful person. I listen to the music for sake of listening to the music, why should it change anything about me?

When I hear the average metallers saying they hate trends and stuff, I think they're being a bit hypocrite, since they themselves dwelve into another kind of trend. Metalheads (almost) all look alike, wear the same stuff, get the same look, speak a "similar" language. etc. If that's not a trend, I wonder what it is.

Bah, off to work now.

If that's not a trend, I wonder what it is.

Bah, off to work now.

trend (trnd)
n.
1. The general direction in which something tends to move.
2. A general tendency or inclination. See Synonyms at tendency.
3. Current style; vogue: the latest trend in fashion.

I would use the last definition when we use the word in daily speech, and metalheads in general have looked about the same for a good 25+ years and counting... I don't think that would qualify as a trend? Sure, there are trends within metal and so on, but the general long hair denim and leather thing doesn't fit there in my opinion

Hey, I think my statement was a bit silly. I'm just generally interested to know how far people think the mental influence goes.
Actually, what most recently brought me this question was a talk with a religious guy. He used to be seriously into metal, and just recently, already being inside the religious world for two years, to finally sell his collection. After closing the deal on his Heart of the Ages copy, he said that he feels like a part of him is taken away, but that it's also a big relief, since he knows it has a great effect on him that interferes with his sense of enlightment. The music itself, not just the anti-religious vibe it sometimes has.

Some thoughts:

First off if your 'musical habits' have affected your outlook on life, perhaps it's not the music but your own frame of mind at the moment. Certain genre's as you mention do have a very depressing or dark aura to them, namely Doom (funeral doom in particular) and some black metal. If music such as this is having a negative effect on you, than maybe you should take a break and listen to other stuff. You mention that many of us listen to the same albums...but i disagree. There are many here that have veryy different tastes, with certain albums 'co-existing' for everyone. Like many others, i go through music phases all the time, where i will listen nothing but death metal for a time then move upon to something else. I think this is healthy, so that genres don't stagnate. Or in your case, certain genres are causing a negative outlook.
As to doom giving the message to 'give up' i don't know. I think it's the same as any other art. A good drama can often leave you drained or depressed, but afterwards you have to 'come out it' so to speak. I agree with you when you say certain people are 'drawn' to this type of music. Not everyone can sit through a 10 minute song with 4 riffs in it. I feel it's honest and shows a dark side to the human condition. Some days you just feel like shit. Most days though i'm fairly content and happy with my life. I can still put on a mournful congregation album and not be depressed for the next week. Or you can take another outlook, no matter how 'depressed' you are..this album captures something even bleaker and darker. Step outside the little box that is your world, and reevaluate. Take skepticism or the new asunder, they may 'sound' depressing but are they really? To me, they rise right above petty human concerns and emotions and are something else entirely. It's very possible to have a 'normal' life and still listen to these types of music. In your case i would say just balance it out more, if you can. And more importantly, perhaps there are other issues that you must address. Just look at J, wife just had a baby and hes on a my dying bride kick :heh:

EDIT: Heart of ages is such an amazing album. It's epic majesty lifts my spirits and mind better than any priest or amount of praying ever could (not that i do either). Sometimes i wonder how truly genuine people were in the first place when they sell their whole album collection. But as you mention religion, it's anther matter entirely.

Great post Will.

I look at music as a form of art and when listening to it I look at why and how the artist wanted to create music like this. If the music is depressive, I rarely see someone making music to complain (in metal), there is usually a greater meaning to it, like Warning. Do you guys listen to depressive music when your down, and surround yourself with depressive ideas? If so, that has to be unhealthy. Same goes with other emotions like anger.

The only effect music has on my spirit is a therapeutic one. It is not the driving force behind my moods and thought patterns. That assignment is designated to life experiences, both good and bad.