MAYH Story

I did this recently but its already gone... damn, here we go again...

Prolougue-The ghost is at his own feuneral just viewing it. The ghost is still in shock that hes dead. At this point his lover is still greatly mourning his passing.

April Eartheal-The ghost watches his lover suffering due to his death. He then decides that he can do something about it and decides to return to her. He feels their love is strong enough to endure his death.

When-The ghost returns home to his lover. When he gets there some guys are in the parlour and obviously have or plan to have some sort of relationship with her. The ghost realizes that her promise of eternal love may not be true.

Madrigal-It seems that his lover is getting around as she resembles "The Devils concubine." The ghost gets the first thoughts of pherhaps killing her so she could be with him: "Our abode 'mongst the stars is waiting, long enough for our last breath of life."

Amen Corner-This is the hardest song to despher for me. He seems to be trying to contact her "you snatch at every sound", but she doesn't realize who it is. She seems to be losing even more feeling for him "memories are tainted with paleness. One thing thats clear is that the ghost is getting frustrated and is realizing that he can't win back her love without drasitc measures...

Demon of the Fall-The ghost tries to kill his lover, but he fails as she runs away. She now knows exactly who it is thats been after her. The ghost is again alone.

Credence-I think in this one the ghost and his lover make contact with one another. He seems to come to a painful understanding that it will never again be between the two of them. It is also possible that the ghost is just reflecting by himself, but Im pritty sure they are communicating with one another.

Karma-This song is pritty stright forward. The ghost finally accpets his fate leaves the mortal world, some excellent imagery though, I have such a beautiful image of the ghost leaving...

Epilogue-The ghost enters into the afterlife in peace and accpetance. He then tells others of his story to others.

Anyways there you have it, my analyisis of My Arms Your Hearse. I'd like to know what others oppinions of the story are, I know I have the general story down but I'd be interested to see how others judge the ditails of this album. God I love this album, every time I describe the story I want to listen to it...

Reactions: opeth_353
Wow thx for the detailed analysis of the cd! I see it a different light now. I know this is a lot to ask but could you perhaps explain the story in "Still lifer" as well since there are bits and pieces that seem rather blurred to me.

Still Life's story > MAYH's story
MAYH's music > Still Life's music

o_O

Actually when I was told the story of MAYH I was never told he tried to kill her, I just thought he kept fucking with her head, trying to contact her and all... and ended up driving her insane. But the way you put it, crimson, is far more interesting.

Here's my Still Life analysis, just as crimsonfloyd did his:

The Moor - Protagonist was beaten and banished because he refused to accept religion. Fifteen years later he returns for Melinda.

Godhead's Lament - Protagonist begins to search the town over for Melinda and as he does those who had beaten him all those years ago and sent him packing catch wind of his presence and begin to stalk him, keeping a close eye on all he does. He finds her and I get the distinct impression ("Lost virtue, frantic lust") that they have sex.

Benighted - Melinda realizes what she's done and it starts to eat her up inside. She runs away to be alone, running through the woods (as it states at the end of Godhead's Lament, "bearing her pain in the wilderness")

Moonlapse Vertigo - the Protagonist is in the town amongst his enemies while Melinda is still in the wilderness alone coming to terms with what she's done. Then they all hear a scream from the forest and run to see what's happened and they find Melinda beaten and bloodied, the fanatics of the town knew that she'd cheated on her husband with this... heathen... and they assaulted her.

Face of Melinda - this is the song in which it is actually revealed that Melinda is married. I suppose it must take place in the hospital. the Protagonist now knows that she's married someone else but he still wants her and so he asks her to leave with him. She says yes.

Serenity Painted Death - He wakes up as Melinda's taken from his arms and killed right in front of him. They slit her throat and throw her down and just as she dies she stares at him clenching her fist and grimacing from the pain. For a moment he stares at her as he grows angrier and angrier... then he gets up and attacks her assassins. They all gang up on him and it doesn't take long before they get him down and beat the living daylights out of him.

White Cluster - The title is in reference to the crowd that attends his execution... all wearing white. Apparently this takes place directly after Serenity Painted Death, so he's still on the ground crawling toward Melinda's corpse...apparently he'd been injured greatly in his beating, ("I slither for you, and I'm dying") then it cuts to his execution as they tie the noose around his neck. The crowd's murmur is the last thing he hears before they drop the trapdoor and he dies. "And the last thing I did see is still here - Beckoning right behind me" I'm not sure what this means but changso tells me he sees God.

Wow, i enjoyed reading those. I guess im not smart enough to figure out the whole story on my own :(. More reviews on the other albums, if anyone is willing :) please dont flame me for searching and finding vague results. :(

ensign said:
Wow, i enjoyed reading those. I guess im not smart enough to figure out the whole story on my own :(. More reviews on the other albums, if anyone is willing :) please dont flame me for searching and finding vague results. :(

Well the rest of the albums aren't concept pieces so...do you just mean song by song?

TheFourthHorseman said:
Well the rest of the albums aren't concept pieces so...do you just mean song by song?

How bout, someone write an explanation for a few of my favorites...
Drapery falls
A Fair Judgement
Black Rose Immortal

Someone just did a really in depth analysis of Black Rose Immortal a while ago in some thread...I'll try digging it up...well couldn't find it. Maybe someone else will.

The Drapery Falls is one of the songs on Blackwater Park where Mikael lets out his anger for the human nature but I don't know specifically what it's about.

To put it shortly,A Fair Judgement seems like a song about someone who is regretting an action of his...in the vein of Katatonia's We Must Bury You,but in a way that doesn't refer to murder so clearly. Could be a lost love or something like that... no big in-depth analysis for this one either.

A fair judgement can be interpreted in a double way (love or death). There's a first person narrator regreting something he has done at a moment when he's lost control (either killing someone... or having told his girlfriend off -I tend to think it's the latter, though- or something similar). He just reflects and thinks about what he has done, at night, not being comfortable enough to be able to sleep... but now being left, or being lonely, is in his opinion a fair judgement for the stupid fact that he's done. He can't change anything to go back to a better state of happiness. There's no hope left... (and this is when the dead good riffs and solos come in the song... What a great song!)

GreatPhoenix said:
Still Life's story > MAYH's story
MAYH's music > Still Life's music

o_O

Actually when I was told the story of MAYH I was never told he tried to kill her, I just thought he kept fucking with her head, trying to contact her and all... and ended up driving her insane. But the way you put it, crimson, is far more interesting.
Yeah the reason why I assume he tried to kill her (other than the foreshadowing in Madrigal) is because of the line "gasping for another breath. She rose, screaming at closed doors." I assume he was trying to strangle her and knocked her to the floor, somehow she then got free. Either way she definatly felt her was life was threated as she was holding a dagger.

Im very happy that so many people liked my analysis!

“The drapery falls” (paraphrasing: the fall of the curtain, or big piece of cloth, like in theatres) is a kind of metaphor for the clearing of a confusion, an enigma, or something that makes the first-person character in the song unable to sleep comfortably (counting nocturnal hours): the nightmare of the miseries of life.

There are two voices, or two characters in this song: first the man trying to sleep and to understand everything that appears so obscure to him (remedy my confusion). This something is causing him pain, every night (“pull me down again and guide me into pain). This first person is represented by Mikael’s clean voice. The music is filled here with acoustic guitars and atmosphere sounds.

“And guide me into…” (implied: PAIN) Here we fall into the character’s sleep, represented as night in the shape of a nightmare or a group of nightmares full of strange visions (drowned visions), and in Mikael’s guttural voice. As we’re sleeping, the images are shown in a disordered way and so is the incomplete language. This makes the song very difficult to understand. Nevertheless, we can gather some dark visions (failure, death, pale ghost, graves, violence…). These can be representative for the whole of human nature, which is so tainted and evil, if you want to find the parallel. The music, consequently, is also evil, with very aggressive riffs, and strong voice.

“Spiralling to the ground below…” The curtain, the drapery, falls down like autumn leaves, and the confusion is cleared now as we wake up to another day, which is filled with misery, the miseries of everyday life and everything that torments the character in his sleep is something that appears now as normal. In the music, we go back to the first riffs, the ones in which confusion was present, and the clean voice of the first character. This provides a cyclical movement for the song, and life itself, which happens to be always the same.

I wait for some other interpretations.

Reactions: TheFourthHorseman