Can anyone help me???

Towelie

A God in my own mind
Nov 15, 2001
Atlanta and Chicago
Visit site
MAYH is my favorite Opeth album and I know it is a concept album. I've tried and tried to disect the lyrics and figure out the story... the lyrics are beautiful... but way too deep for me to get. There's something about the atmosphere of the album that just gets to me... I feel like I've gone back into a dark fantasy, medevil time. Could anyone help me on figuring out exactly the story behind MAYH?? Thanks!

Zack

*SECURITY*
At least you didn't ask who Melinda is :lol:

I'm feeling bored and helpful so allow me to summarize.

The main character (let's call him Bob) was banished from his town (for religious reasons I believe) he's been gone for fifteen years and he decides to return "Fifteen alike since I was here" He's returning for his love, Melinda. That is the moor basically, his journey back home.

Godhead's Lament to me is about him returning and the looming threat of being caught "Red eyes probe the scene, Searing beams tracking you down" blah blah he's considering staying, maybe no one will figure out it's him or something. "what would they care if I did stay" He sees Melinda in the end of the song, She's in pain and in the gleam in her eyes, he knows she sees him and her pain is alleviated.

Benighted
They lose theirselves and their worries in each other, i'm assuming they have sex :D . They have a beautiful night together and forget all their troubles and lives, quite beautiful.

Moonlapse Vertigo
Seems to be his reflections on those who cast him out of here, "the council of the cross" most likely the church and authority of here, He goes on about them, they are on to him, he has little time left, he'll need to leave soon

Face of Melinda
He describes Melinda and her plight, she is in an arranged marriage with someone, He proposes they leave the town together to be with each other forever. "My promise is made but my hearttt isss thine" (I love that part) she is agreeing to his proposal.

Serenity Painted Death
He awakens the next day hearing booming voices, Melinda is gone, bloody line 'round her neck, she falls dead to the ground. He sees her corpse and loses it, he goes berserk and kills all of them, the ones who killed Melinda for breaking her arangements.

White Cluster
He didn't get away with it, he probably has lost the will to live by now anyways. The noose is 'round his neck, he's looking at all the people wearing white, talking about him. He is hung and dies, the last line stanza can be taken however, maybe the last moment of his life is frozen in time, to be experienced forever "still life" whatever.

The lyrics aren't too deep for you, just don't take them so literally, just try to from an idea of what's going on, some things said are used to describe what's happening physically, almost all emotions are described through metaphors and the music and tone of Mikael's voice, sit down with the lyrics while you listen and an understanding of what's happening, you'll probably cry and go through all kinds of emotional states, I love Opeth. Glad to help.

-Oyo

HAHA.. thanks Oyo... I appreciate the help effort... but yes... Still Life is pretty easy to get.. MAYH is just so deep... sorry you had to do all that for nothing!! Thanks though... haha

Ummm, that looks alot like Still Life to me. Didn't Towelie ask about MAYH? I could explain it, but I've never actually read the lyrics to MAYH :)cry: embarrassing confession), so I can't.

And I've had MAYH since it was released, just never gotten around to it........

i saw akerfeldt in an interview explain it. basically its about a man who dies and haunts his family...i think. i'd have to read the lyrics and the interview again to be certain. it was deeper than that. oh damnit, now i gotta go look it up cuz if i don't its just gonna drive me crazy.