Meister Eckhart

:D ok then, imo:

-we have free will to the extent that we can choose to live for/love/worship god over anything else, and vice versa.

-some cultures have a traditional knowledge of (a) god that fully aligns with that of the jews (old-testament), and as such they are in the same position as the jews at jesus' coming, ready to recieve god's grace through the holy spirit thanks to the resurrection. However this is different from some religions that some would say 'use' the same god under a different name (a grey area I know but there is a difference)

-'christianity' being to 'follow christ', as there is only one christ there can be only one christianity; sure there can be multiple versions of a religion, but religion is for those who want to follow rules

Brad

Hypotetically, I'm screwed. In reality, I know that I'm far from screwed.:cool: As for yourself, because a relationship with christ is spiritual, not purely mental, I can't argue you into it; you have to take the first step yourself. Or else you could pull a John Safran and try every religion out, plus christianity.:p

proglodite said:
Hypotetically, I'm screwed. In reality, I know that I'm far from screwed.:cool: As for yourself, because a relationship with christ is spiritual, not purely mental, I can't argue you into it; you have to take the first step yourself. Or else you could pull a John Safran and try every religion out, plus christianity.:p

I'm a spiritual person, I just feel no need to embrace that spirituality with dogma, in some insane translation of the ineffable.

Final_Product said:
I'm a spiritual person, I just feel no need to embrace that spirituality with dogma, in some insane translation of the ineffable.

No-one said anything about dogma. Following christ is a liberation of the spirit, not a harnessing of it.

Spirituality is something humans experience yet do not have the full capacity to explain.

Take that feeling, idea, experience and fit it into the structure of a religion and you cannot help but take something from it.

Final_Product said:
Spirituality is something humans experience yet do not have the full capacity to explain.

Take that feeling, idea, experience and fit it into the structure of a religion and you cannot help but take something from it.

I only experienced it when i took it outside the context of the religion that i was brought up in. We cannot yet fully explain the physical, much less the mental, and the spiritual is in a different league altogether. But IMO the spirit is to the mind what the mind is to the body. ie. a means of classifying, understanding and acting upon the inputs that are created by the mind, just as the mind does for the senses

Brad

Some ideas on a related topic:

When people talk about perfection, they often fall into the trap of assuming a linear world: a place like the mythical Heaven where there is no bad, only good, and good of the purest sense. While as symbol that sounds appealing, when one goes through the process of plotting out life, it sounds terrible, because it would rapidly lead to repetition. If there's one right answer to every question, and every activity turns out excellently, is there any enough contrast to claim one has actually had an experience? Without danger, adventures would become tourist play; without the possibility of failure, success would have no greatness. Without death, there would be no reason to make one decision over another in life, as all experiences would be exactly equal thanks to infinite days and thus zero consequences. Screw up your life? Live another lifetime, within your lifetime. Boundaries give meaning to what lies within them, in other words.

http://www.anus.com/zine/articles/perfect/

infoterror said:
Hint to any debating free will in ANY philosophical setting: carefully define what you mean.

Absolute free will? LOL, hell no, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ability to choose within limits of experience, genetic-neural limits, and the like? Of course.

What you're saying here is hardly making anything less obscure in this discussion.

infoterror said:
Some ideas on a related topic:

When people talk about perfection, they often fall into the trap of assuming a linear world: a place like the mythical Heaven where there is no bad, only good, and good of the purest sense. While as symbol that sounds appealing, when one goes through the process of plotting out life, it sounds terrible, because it would rapidly lead to repetition. If there's one right answer to every question, and every activity turns out excellently, is there any enough contrast to claim one has actually had an experience? Without danger, adventures would become tourist play; without the possibility of failure, success would have no greatness. Without death, there would be no reason to make one decision over another in life, as all experiences would be exactly equal thanks to infinite days and thus zero consequences. Screw up your life? Live another lifetime, within your lifetime. Boundaries give meaning to what lies within them, in other words.

http://www.anus.com/zine/articles/perfect/

We have seen earth, so we can appreciate heaven. And 'time' is most likely a physical parameter (ie. not in heaven) so monotony would hardly be an issue

proglodite said:
We have seen earth, so we can appreciate heaven. And 'time' is most likely a physical parameter (ie. not in heaven) so monotony would hardly be an issue

If heaven has no such physicality then why do you all spend so much time talking about it.

This little discussion between the two of you (proglodite, Final Product) would make for a most interesting thread, even if we already have had a variety of Free Will threads.

Hmm...To be honest, I've had these conversations a million times with many different people, I stick to my guns and so do they. It becomes boring.

Final_Product said:
They are actually tangible.
dictionary.com said:
Tangible, adj.
1. Discernible by the touch; palpable: a tangible roughness of the skin.
2. Possible to touch.
3. Possible to be treated as fact; real or concrete: tangible evidence.

I suppose it's up to the individual, the spiritual is as tangible as the mental to me; and the physical is "merely electrical signals received by the brain" (matrix:cool: ) so hardly concrete

Final_Product said:
Hmm...To be honest, I've had these conversations a million times with many different people, I stick to my guns and so do they. It becomes boring.

As have I, but I keep coming back for more, because it's natural to want to share good news; and others keep coming back because they feel the need to defend themselves, to validate their perspective on life.

Brad