"Melodic Death Metal"

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Where on earth does this term come from? I really hate it.

To me, the bands referred to as "melodic death metal" have no connection to death metal at all, and certainly don't reflect the genre's evolution from the early roots in chaotic thrash into the more brutal approach developed later.

I can only assume that the justification behind this term stems from the vocals, but what a vague way to define a musical style, especially when your typical "melodic death metal" vocals can usually be found in all forms of harsher metal.

"Melodic death metal" seems to me as basically a step onwards from the more generic elements of Bay Area style thrash, fused with other elements which don't have much prominence in death metal. If one was to draw a timeline of death metal, it would be hard to justify something that went, for example, Slayer -> Possessed -> Suffocation (to simplify a lot) and then -> Dark Tranqulity or At the Gates.

This is not a topic to criticise those bands under the 'melodic death metal' label, it is simply to suggest that surely this category makes no sense, and is misleading.

At the Gates used to be proper melodic death metal, as in death metal with melody. Also: Ceremonial Oath, and Dark Tranquillity's demo and 7" work is more or less death metal with a big thrash/speed metal influence. Because these are some of the genre's originators, I suppose the name stuck?

I think a lot of bands that are considered melodic death metal sound more like power metal with harsh vocals. Also the vocal style seems closer to black metal than death metal. For example, Wintersun, they sound more like power metal with harsh vocals instead of death metal.

I feel like it's a somewhat apt title. I think the music is much closer to death metal than power metal (and a lot of people like to say that In Flames is basically power metal.) Bands like IF, ATG, DT, etc. all began as being death metal bands. Melodeath also works as a title for me. It's clear which bands are being referred to. Melodic death metal is a somewhat less clear term.

Erik said:
At the Gates used to be proper melodic death metal, as in death metal with melody. Also: Ceremonial Oath, and Dark Tranquillity's demo and 7" work is more or less death metal with a big thrash/speed metal influence. Because these are some of the genre's originators, I suppose the name stuck?

what about skydancer? I find that it's easier to listen to if you just consider it "death metal with melody", as you put it...

I wouldn't consider Skydancer Death Metal, though I do think that it's a good album.

MFJ said:
what about skydancer? I find that it's easier to listen to if you just consider it "death metal with melody", as you put it...
I don't think it's a death metal album at all, there's barely a trace of DM in it

Kalmah is a good example of miscategorization of Melodic Death Metal. You know, with this talk of Dark Tranquillity, I think I'm going to break out those old CDs...

Necuratul said:
Kalmah is a good example of miscategorization of Melodic Death Metal. You know, with this talk of Dark Tranquillity, I think I'm going to break out those old CDs...

I think Kalmah's older albums sounded more like power metal with harsh vocals, and their newest(The Black Waltz) sounds more like proper melodic death metal.

I like to make a distinction between "melodeath" and "melodic death". Melodeath to me is hardly death metal besides the vocals, and includes bands such as In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, especially at those bands newer states. Melodic death metal on the other hand means old school swedish stuff like Dismember or Entombed which is more deathy.

cookiecutter said:
I like to make a distinction between "melodeath" and "melodic death". Melodeath to me is hardly death metal besides the vocals, and includes bands such as In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, especially at those bands newer states. Melodic death metal on the other hand means old school swedish stuff like Dismember or Entombed which is more deathy.

For the most part, I agree.

A major factor I take into consideration is the theme. Acts such as In Flames and Dark Tranquility base their music/lyrics on philisophical/intellectual themes whilst other acts that incorporate just as much melody, such as Arch Enemy and Hypocrisy, adhere to mostly death-metal themes such as murder, the occult, armaggedon and, well, death.

Zephyrus said:
A major factor I take into consideration is the theme. Acts such as In Flames and Dark Tranquility base their music/lyrics on philisophical/intellectual themes whilst other acts that incorporate just as much melody, such as Arch Enemy and Hypocrisy, adhere to mostly death-metal themes such as murder, the occult, armaggedon and, well, death.

Wait? What?

You do know that lyrical themes have NOTHING to do with genre classification right?

Ex-cally-boo said:
Wait? What?

You do know that lyrical themes have NOTHING to do with genre classification right?

theme is not just lyrics; it also includes image. The bands I mentioned portray a more or less deathy images on their cover art etc. to reach out to a particular fan base. More deathy themed bands reach out to straight death-heads while the less deathy look beyond. This may explain the greater popularity of IF and Dt because their cover art doesn't scare away as many people.