"Melodic Death Metal"

Hammer of Might said:
Which shows that vocal style is a pointless way to define a style.

I agree. I myself label music by instrumentation.

A lot of people don't and think music can progress and progress and still be labelled as an original 20 years down the road because one element or whatever but really the music is just stepping into prog, and should be labelled as progressive metal. At a certain point it's like give me a break.

That's what death metal is to you..... ha ha

or whatever you know. Things like this go with anything. Bands I like throw around the term death metal and probably should not.

We don't need to label every style or infleunce as a genre.... at a certain point everything is just progressive regardless how different a band could sound.

Isn't melodic death metal simply used for bands which use melody as the central focus of their music (At the gates, Atheist, Cynic, Chasm) rather than rhythm (Deicide, Cannibal Corpse and just about any other DM band). If any note in the riff can be substituted by another without really changing the song, it's not melodic death.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
The Black Dahlia Murder sometimes sing about graves, zombies, ghouls, etc. They're nothing but melo-death/metalcore, though. Not deathcore or goregrind or whatever else you wanna pigeonhole 'em as. Themes do not play a part in deciding genre classification.

I agree with you on the most part. I would never go as far as to completely shift a band's genre label based purely on their lyrics. My point was that by utilizing the themes and aesthetic of one genre, you can bring yourself closer to that genre. The Black Dahlia Murder is, to my knowledge, slightly more accepted by the death metal community than their peers, despite having similar music. Music is the massive majority in deciding the genre, but themes can have a slight effect in the way the band is viewed.

Alright I don't totally disagree with that, so you're either changing your point totally (unlikely) or just redefining it (likely) so that I know where you're coming from. Cheers.

Also, it's cool that you're from Boston and uncool that I never noticed that. I'm from Lowell, about 30 minutes (sans traffic which is omnipresent!) north-northwest.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I think it would be safe to say that Heartwork is an album that can be exactly described as "melodic death metal".

To an extent, I think Necroticism can also be called melodic death metal, in that it relies on melody rather more than rhythm or brutality.

I would agree that both could probably be called "melodic death metal" but to majorly different extents. Necroticism is more death metal with a focus on melody, while Heartwork is more heavy metal with harsh vocals and some death metal parts. I don't even particularly like either (I enjoy Heartwork much more than Necroticism), but I think they're both valid as "melodic"...also, Impaled, Exhumed, etc...bands who play Necroticism-style music could be considered melodic to an extent, but I don't think they are worthy of being called "melodic death metal", so maybe I should rethink my observations of Necroticism...

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I would agree that both could probably be called "melodic death metal" but to majorly different extents. Necroticism is more death metal with a focus on melody, while Heartwork is more heavy metal with harsh vocals and some death metal parts. I don't even particularly like either (I enjoy Heartwork much more than Necroticism), but I think they're both valid as "melodic"...also, Impaled, Exhumed, etc...bands who play Necroticism-style music could be considered melodic to an extent, but I don't think they are worthy of being called "melodic death metal", so maybe I should rethink my observations of Necroticism...

Interesting. You're the first person who I have ever heard / read to profess a preference for Heartwork over Necroticism.

I may have over egged the pudding in calling Necroticism a melodic album, to be honest, but it is much more melodic than many of its contemporaries.

>>>To an extent, I think Necroticism can also be called melodic death metal, in that it relies on melody rather more than rhythm or brutality.

I think groove works better than melodic when it comes to Carcass...but that's just me.

Some melodic death metal bands actually do play music that can be classified as death metal (Anata, Fragments of Unbecoming,, Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism). Not all melodic death metal sounds like In Flames, Arch Enemy, or Dark Tranquillity.