"Melodic Death Metal"

Necroticism does not have melody to the extent it would be considered melodic or melo-death. Heartwork is the first very conventional carcass all around.

Heartwork while being a great album does not hold a candle to 'necroticism.

Life Sucks said:
Some melodic death metal bands actually do play music that can be classified as death metal (Anata, Fragments of Unbecoming,, Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism). Not all melodic death metal sounds like In Flames, Arch Enemy, or Dark Tranquillity.

That was what I was trying to point out when I tried to differentiate melodic death metal with melodeath.

cookiecutter said:
That was what I was trying to point out when I tried to differentiate melodic death metal with melodeath.
I see. All the bands I mentioned (except for Arghoslent) can be classified as melodeath as well as melodic death metal. I must admit that the line between melodic death metal and melodeath is very blurry. But, to me, anything that has harsh vocals (and no use of clean vocals), blastbeats, and tremolo riffs can be classified as melodic DEATH METAL, regarless of if the band uses those typical Gothenburg-eque twin guitar harmonies. Most melodeath (particularly modern melodeath) doesn't incorporate blastbeats or tremolo riffs, and features relatively frequent use of clean vocals.

Life Sucks said:
Some melodic death metal bands actually do play music that can be classified as death metal (Anata, Fragments of Unbecoming,, Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism). Not all melodic death metal sounds like In Flames, Arch Enemy, or Dark Tranquillity.
I think Fractal Point and Renascent are good examples of what you're describing.

btw I'm really looking forward to Anata's new cd. I haven't heard the other three bands you listed yet; I'll probably check them out later on today.

Back onto the Carcass

My 2c

I think we would all agree that Reek... and Symphonies... are certainly not melodic and a very much so grind/core albums. Necroticism certainly has a lot of melodic stylings in it - it is also very catchy, at least to me, but still has those grind core elemnts to it. A good example of this i feel can be shown trough the song Symposium Of Sickness on the Necroticism album (yeh gets confusing when that song is almost the same name of the previous album) in that it starts off with a very grindy intro then proceeds into a melodic type thing. And it is for that reason that necroticism is one of my all time favs.

Onto heartwork and swansong, certainly as VVVVV said, heartwork has heavy metal influences in it; but that as well as swansong also have cool grooves to it and are definately melodic albums, but, at the same time, arent melodic in the sence of Kalmah or Bodom and the rest of those 'melodic death' bands.

And, to me, Black star rising is the next logical step in the pregression from swansong - in that it moves even further away from carcass' early grindcore stuff and pushes more into thin lizzy type stuff

anyhow, long story short, carcass rock from symptomism...through to swansong. Reek... is just damn hard to listen to

When I think of Power Metal, I think of Hammerfall and Rhapsody. No way Kalmah fits in there with death vocals. :)

Scott

Consuming Impulse said:
i hate melodic death metal.
why gezzer it is alright :kickass: :kickass:
d141550nikkig0qt.jpg

First of all, their old stuff is not "somewhat" similar - it is VERY similar. It's clear CoB influenced them.

I have not listened to the latest CoB, but the Black Waltz still sounds like CoB. It's speedy melodic metal with synths. It's damn good, and better than CoB now, but as far as what genres they belong in...I'd throw them in together - whichever genre that is (I still think melodic metal).

Scott

SheisMySin said:
When I think of Power Metal, I think of Hammerfall and Rhapsody. No way Kalmah fits in there with death vocals. :)

Scott

Why does this argument always come up? Vocals don't make a genre, song structures and sounds do.

Life Sucks said:
I see. All the bands I mentioned (except for Arghoslent) can be classified as melodeath as well as melodic death metal. I must admit that the line between melodic death metal and melodeath is very blurry. But, to me, anything that has harsh vocals (and no use of clean vocals), blastbeats, and tremolo riffs can be classified as melodic DEATH METAL, regarless of if the band uses those typical Gothenburg-eque twin guitar harmonies. Most melodeath (particularly modern melodeath) doesn't incorporate blastbeats or tremolo riffs, and features relatively frequent use of clean vocals.

Agreed. The line is blurry as the genres are fairly similar