Melodic Death Metal

I really dig Dark Tranquillity's FICTION disc from 2007. Since I'm so new..I plan on checking much of their backcatalog this year.

Woah, Kyle. They must be putting something in the water up there. You're really turning to the Dark Side. You've taken your first steps into a larger world. :lol:

Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity

The best melodic death metal album ever. Period.

I don't think I'd go quite THAT far, but it's a great CD. Great band, too.
Seems like whenever I play them on WREKage, we get a phone call from someone asking who it was....and then asking me to spell the name. :heh:

That's fine. You and I have had this discussion before... i really don't think they ever matched the magic that was that first album, so new stuff is not interesting to me. That album is though.

I definitely agree, but I also think their last two are some of the best melodic death discs I've heard recently as well. If they stopped now, I'd be satisfied.

Woah, Kyle. They must be putting something in the water up there. You're really turning to the Dark Side. You've taken your first steps into a larger world. :lol:

lol..yeah you wouldn't believe some of the band's I'm listening to recently..really since I got into BTBAM back in September.

In Vain
Thurisaz
The End
The Faceless
Necrophagist
Behemoth
Textures
Gojira
Meshuggah
Sculptured
Nile
Monolith Deathcult
Martyr
Hate
Decapitated
Braindrill
Enslaved
Born of Osiris
Animosity
Subterranean Masquerade
Sikth
Soilwork
Protest the Hero
Arch Enemy
Genghis Tron
Agalloch

Ever since accepting the vocal styles, I've totally opened up to any bands doing something melodic, technical, jazzy with nearly any vocal style. Ironically, some of the clean vocalists in these styles I can't get into for some reason.

lol..yeah you wouldn't believe some of the band's I'm listening to recently..really since I got into BTBAM back in September.

Ever since accepting the vocal styles, I've totally opened up to any bands doing something melodic, technical, jazzy with nearly any vocal style. Ironically, some of the clean vocalists in these styles I can't get into for some reason.

You should also check out:

Alarum
Arsis
Atheist
Augury
Cynic
Death
Gorguts
Lykathea Aflame
Quo Vadis

:headbang:

You should also check out:

Alarum
Arsis
Atheist
Augury
Cynic
Death
Gorguts
Lykathea Aflame
Quo Vadis

:headbang:

yeah I already checked out Arsis..dig some of their stuff, however live the blastbeats really drowned out their sound. I'm still looking fwd to their new one.

Gorguts, Death, Cynic, and Atheist are all on my list, just haven't gotten around to it fully. Only so much time in the day, and I still listen to a ton of non-Metal etc. But I will earmark those others you mentioned as well.

OK, understood. See ya at PUSA IX! Are you way stoked to be finally seeing IS live like I am?:kickass:

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!! Unfortunatley, I'm only really familiar w/ the Kai Hansen IS stuff (which to my understanding they don't play much of it anymore), but I did get Megatropolis about 2 months ago and it has kicked my ass all around the block without any mercy!!!!!!!!!!:headbang::kickass:

I really dig Dark Tranquillity's FICTION disc from 2007. Since I'm so new..I plan on checking much of their backcatalog this year.

get Character. It is by far their best (IMO). Also get Damage Done (the single Monochromatic Stains and the song The Treason Wall are 2 amazing songs). Projector is different but I really do like it. I have the full catalog and like every album, but the last 3 have been my favorites. They are by far the best in this genre.

Thanks for the recommendations, y'all!

No Problem!! Someone probably already mentioned them, but also check out Wintersun, Norther, and the first Nightrage album. I have alot of bands in this genre, I just can't remember them all!!!!!!!

In Vain
Thurisaz
The End
The Faceless
Necrophagist
Behemoth
Textures
Gojira
Meshuggah
Sculptured
Nile
Monolith Deathcult
Martyr
Hate
Decapitated
Braindrill
Enslaved
Born of Osiris
Animosity
Subterranean Masquerade
Sikth
Soilwork
Protest the Hero
Arch Enemy
Genghis Tron
Agalloch

Okay, this must be either an imposter or a demon that has taken over the normally mild-mannered Kyle.

Eeeevil spirrrits come ouuuuuuuut!!! :lol:

Ok I know I’m late on this subject….

Bands such as In Flames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity,ect.. I wouldn’t ever call Death Metal. They are what I call “Gothenburg metal” . Most fans of this style agree with me that these bands do NOT play Death Metal.

Bands like Children of Bodom, Eternal tears of sorrow, Norther, Skyfire, Kalmah, ect…. This what I would call “power metal w/ Harsh vocals”.. also NOT death metal…

Bands that play death metal w/ Melody would include Cynic, (later) Death, Quo Vadis, Illogicist, (new) Decrepit Birth, ect…

NOT all technical DM bands incoporate melody into thier music...

Examples : Hate Eternal, Krisiun, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Decapitated, Cryptopsy, ect..

Some of these bands may incorporate some melody but it's not a main source in the music .

Bands like Quo Vadis, Cynic, (Later) Death, (New) Decrepit Birth, ect... do incorporate melody as a main factor in the music.

The point still remains that Cynic is not generally considered a melodic death metal band because melodic death metal is in reference to a band such as old in flames, arch enemy, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Melodic death is a distinct style of music...you're just talking about death metal that happens to have more melody than most death metal.

this is my whole challenge/issue with this genre..the lines are blurred and know what style to call a band based on any number of characteristics of their music. Mellow-Death, Mellow-Black, Technical-Melodic-Death..

Okay, this must be either an imposter or a demon that has taken over the normally mild-mannered Kyle.

Eeeevil spirrrits come ouuuuuuuut!!!

you know how to perform an exorcism? :p..you can credit/blame the 5/8 forums influence as much as anything actually.