Mercy Falls - Alternate version or defective CD?

promark747

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2012
Hello, first time poster here...

After being a fan of Dream Theater and Circus Maximus for many years, I only recently discovered Seventh Wonder, and I am blown away by the band. All I can say is that I agree with another reviewer who stated that in a better world, this group would be huge.

Anyway, I discovered SW through my subscription to Rhapsody. The first album I heard was TGE, which is great, but the album that really got me was Mercy Falls. With each listen, the album was more rewarding. One thing kind of bugged me, however, and that was the numerous audio "flashbacks" throughout the record. These are 1-2 second snippets of other music that are scattered throughout. Some are jazz music, some are spoken word, some are other bands. At first I thought these were part of the record, and in a way they kind of made sense as I thought these were the recollections of the comatose patient. I think these little audio snippets are most prevalent on the song Unbreakable.

Anyway, I decided to buy the actual CD, because this album became one of my favorites and I wanted to have it in CD format for the best quality. I received my copy from Amazon, and when I started playing it, I noticed that the audio snippets/flashbacks were not there! I was really happy, because now the album sounded even better without having all the distractions (although in some way my mind had already processed them as belonging there). Of course, the "regular" additional audio, i.e., the wife and the doctor, was still there.

So that leaves me with a couple of questions. First, why is the CD version different from the Rhapsody version? I saw that there was originally a Deluxe CD/DVD set that came out...was there another mixing of the album that included these extra sounds? (Does anyone here use Rhapsody, and can they confirm that the Rhapsody version has been tampered with?)

Also, the CD I received from Amazon has a flaw of its own -- it has a 2-second gap between all tracks. This wouldn't be a problem normally, except obviously this is a concept album and some of the tracks (notably 9 and 10, Fall in Line and Break the Silence) are designed to run together seamlessly. Does anyone else have this issue with their disc? Should I send back to Amazon or Lion Music for a replacement?

Sorry if any of these issues were discussed way back when the album first came out...again, I am late to the party, but I am very glad I found SW. I just can't seem to find any discussions about this.

Thanks!

Hey and welcome to the forum! :Smokin:

I don't use Rhapsody (I doubt it's available here in Germany) but it sounds like something is flawed on their end. The CD is definitely how it should be. I do have the CD/DVD edition by the way. :)

About those 2 second gaps... have you bought the CD direclty from Amazon or over a third party seller? Because these gaps sounds like you talk about the mp3 files on my mp3 player.

I just checked between Track 5 and 6 (to be 100% sure) since Tears For A Father and A Day Away flow into each other without a break too and it does, no gap at all.

I would recommend you to contact Amazon about it. They are usually very easy to deal with in such cases. At least from my exerpience they exchange faulty material without many questions.

Hi Xandra,

Thanks for confirming. I will contact Amazon for an exchange. By the way, here is a quick one-minute clip of what I was talking about regarding the strange audio snippets when I play this album through Rhapsody. Check out 0:14, 0:41, and 0:49. Weird! Never had this happen on any other music.

http://youtu.be/q020iX5cZ7w

Hey, promark747!

The video of your link is a 'private one'. Can you please provide a general one, it's very interesting to hear what you were talking about.

If Rhapsody isn't streaming the album the way it should be than the band and/or recordcompany should know this so imperfections can be restored!

Thanks, I can see/hear it now!

'Very strange' would be an understatement for sure!
Obviously, a BIG mistake has been made here.
I'll contact the band so they can get in touch with Rhapsody - hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

I just received my replacement CD, and it is perfect. No extraneous sounds, and correct timing/transition between tracks.

MF has found a spot on my list of desert-island discs, along with such landmarks as The Wall and Hemispheres. I'd like to give a heartfelt thank-you to the band for making this masterpiece. Many of us would like to believe that someday the world will value music of this quality more highly. Since discovering SW recently (what rock was I living under?) I've gone back and read most of this forums' posts, and I find it disheartening and maddening that artists such as SW are often unable to get paid what they deserve due to a combination of filesharing and being in a niche genre -- but it's also inspirational to read about the long journey from practicing, to studio recording, to finished product. It is mind-boggling to me that a recording as complex as MF can be made by those who are simultaneously holding down other full-time jobs and also raising families. The bottom line is that MF, as a work of art, simply makes me want to try harder in all aspects of life. Mr. Blomqvist, please keep up the good work. Perhaps subscription services such as Rhapsody (despite the technical fluke I described in my original post) will be the catalyst for getting SW the exposure it deserves. It worked for me -- I went from never having heard SW to ordering multiple copies each of MF and TGE, clothing from your store, and hoping that some day SW will find its way to play in the USA again.

Now the question is, when can I buy WITW, MF and TGE on hi-res SACD? :)

Hey and welcome to the forum! :Smokin:

I don't use Rhapsody (I doubt it's available here in Germany) but it sounds like something is flawed on their end. The CD is definitely how it should be. I do have the CD/DVD edition by the way. :)

DVD of Mercy Falls? What's on it? I'd like that... o_O

Hey, ProdigalSon.

Part 1 of the bonus DVD consists of material shot during the making of Mercy Falls, whilst the Cd-version of 'Unbreakable' is playing.

Part 2 consists of interviews with the guys regarding the making of 'MF' and also contains some of the ideas behind the concept/story of the album.

Part 3 is a slideshow of the making of 'MF'.

All in all, over 20 minutes of extra footage.

Hey, ProdigalSon.

Part 1 of the bonus DVD consists of material shot during the making of Mercy Falls, whilst the Cd-version of 'Unbreakable' is playing.

Part 2 consists of interviews with the guys regarding the making of 'MF' and also contains some of the ideas behind the concept/story of the album.

Part 3 is a slideshow of the making of 'MF'.

All in all, over 20 minutes of extra footage.

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll try to get hold of it.

I decided to check on this again and I happy to report that the extraneous noises have been removed from the Rhapsody stream.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, just discovered SW a month ago. I don't understand how I'm not heard about them before (I'm prog metal fan since 1996 when I first heard DT's Awake)?!? Great band and Tommy is already my all time favorite singer in this genre.

However, I first listened SW from Spotify and then went to buy the records from respectable Finnish music store. I got MF short while ago and noticed that it had these above mentioned 2 sec gaps between songs, VERY annoying! I contacted the music store and all their copies had the same gaps so they promised to return my money. So now I'm trying to find the correct version without the gaps...Where should I buy it, any recommendations? What I understood from the above posts, Amazon at least is not 100% sure to have correct ones, at least some of them are faulty.

Could the band or the label (Lion Music) try to clear this matter officially somehow so that this matter could be solved once and for all (the faulty copies should all be returned to the distributor etc).

^ Well iTunes will give you the right version, but that will just be digital. If you want the physical CD, I'd recommend ebay or amazon through a non-amazon seller - if you want to be 100% sure, you can ask the seller for more info about the album before you purchase it.

Okay, this is my first post here.

My copy of Mercy Falls which I bought on amazon has the 2 second issue as well. It doesn't bother me much but one thing that really annoys me is that me printing quality of the booklet is pretty bad. When there's bold writing in it, I rather have to guess instead of reading it. It's really annoying because I love to sit with the booklet in my hands, singing along and with Mercy Falls I can't do that.
This is just minor complaint though because the album is still amazing all around.