Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

May 30, 2008
Iceland
Just wondering how many of you have seen it, it's a cool movie, I recommend it.

If you don't know what movie it is, it's basically a rockumentary about heavy metal in whole (not traditional heavy metal) where he interviews bands / famous rock icons and has live clips in it and some history on metal, interesting movie, I enjoyed it.

Why? He's not exactly a professor in metal but he did an OK job. The movie itself isn't amazing but it's cool, fun to watch but by no means required to like metal or anything like that.

I watched it, I thought it was pretty good, my mother watched it aswell, and she just now understands why we listen to metal :kickass:

Yeah, the movie is ok, but it is discussed there only metal in general. Some famose bands from several metal styles and so on. Nothing really interesting and heavy like death or grind core (few phrases of Max Webster isn't in a count).

i think some people are missing the point of the movie. it was designed to be a metal 101. sure, it teaches us stuff most of us already know. but i think its a good movie for someone who is new to metal, or just an outsider who wants to understand metal a little better
~gR~

I think it's a fantastic introduction to metal. My friend Jerred somehow only bolstered his ignorance with it, though.

"I still don't get how you can claim to be a metalhead and not listen to Avenged Sevenfold."

Well, Jerred, I don't get how you can listen to glam metal and still claim to be heterosexual.

is that the jerred that sends us messages on the myspace?

and a certain someone on this board might take offense to your glam comment haha
~gR~

i think some people are missing the point of the movie. it was designed to be a metal 101. sure, it teaches us stuff most of us already know. but i think its a good movie for someone who is new to metal, or just an outsider who wants to understand metal a little better
~gR~

it royally sucked

haven't seen this, cannibalcorpse has been telling me to on msn...

I might. I do feel like I've seen enough metal documentaries were they play paranoid and breaking the law then spend 20 minutes on how Rob is gay and then the only 90s stuff they talk about is nu metal and then it ends....

haven't seen this, cannibalcorpse has been telling me to on msn...

I might. I do feel like I've seen enough metal documentaries were they play paranoid and breaking the law then spend 20 minutes on how Rob is gay and then the only 90s stuff they talk about is nu metal and then it ends....

it covers alot more than that. covers black metal, satan, women, etc...

its worth watching just for the gaahl interview alone!
~gR~

A good introduction, but not all that in-depth or analytical. Just a longtime fan trying to explain what makes metal appealing. Like most other metal documentaries, it browses the general metal scene at face-value with minimal commentary and a "hey isn't this cool and unifying" vibe.

Loved it, considering the hundreds of shitty excuses for documentaries I've unfortunately forced myself to watch. :ill:

Has anyone watched any of those obscure black metal/death metal documentaries you usually find in indie record stores? I've always wanted to buy one and watch it out of pure curiosity, but I don't know if it's worth it.