Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

I really enjoyed some of the interviews. They were thoroughly entertaining. And as a whole it was pretty good.

This desire people have, to try and explain and justify Metal to the mass media and the public is something I do not understand.

Well i think metal became so mickey mouse-ified in the eyes of the masses back in the eighties when everyone wore makeup and had big hairs,it doesn´t hurt if people can get the insight that metal is more than that.

Well i think metal became so mickey mouse-ified in the eyes of the masses back in the eighties when everyone wore makeup and had big hairs,it doesn´t hurt if people can get the insight that metal is more than that.

Good choice of words.

I'd say that it sort of reflects how it first came popular, then what it has become now.

With Global Metal coming out, the whole culture thing that we didn't see much of in Headbanger's Journey, should show a different perspective to some people.

Should be interesting either way.

This desire people have, to try and explain and justify Metal to the mass media and the public is something I do not understand.

and the idea that metal should be our little secret so we can act special and elite is pathetic
~gR~

Which is precisely why it makes no sense to me. You have signed every single one of your posts for six years. Is it some kind of nervous tick or are you just really gay?
:lol:
for real

So what? It barely even makes any attempt to understand metal beyond a surface level. It "covers the music" in that it achieves little more than a bare presentation of the aesthetic tropes existent within the genre. Its understanding of metal music within a broader musical and cultural context is no more enlightening than the same story we've heard about metal a million fucking times before. Even the attempts by the participants of this documentary to connect metal to the classical music tradition were superficial and deeply unsatisfactory to anybody whose understanding of music operates on a level beyond 'it's loud', 'it's aggressive', or 'it's intense, dude'. And I do not recall anything particularly enlightening concerning the lyrical content/attitudes/beliefs within metal in this film.
If it had been six hours long it still couldn't have gone beyond the surface because it tried to cover everything. It's obviously not intended to go in depth on everything (or anything, for that matter), and I thought it did a good job covering the basics. If a certain aspect of it interested someone, they could then do their own research. The documentary doesn't claim to be anything more than an overview of metal and frankly I thought it was a great overview.

a very small part. and the part where the chic said she would jump halfords bones is priceless
~gR~
That's from Heavy Metal Parking Lot. If you haven't seen Heavy Metal Parking Lot, you're a gigantic faggot. Go watch it.

I thought the Black Metal appendix they filmed could have been just as long. They went back to Norway to give a better overview of the genre, but it could have covered a lot more, such as more of the actual music, and then talk about the global scene in depth.
Well, yeah. You could easily make a 3 or 4 hour documentary on black metal and not cover half the essentials in depth.

and the idea that metal should be our little secret so we can act special and elite is pathetic
~gR~
This.

Basically, this movie created the two greatest interviews of all time (Necrobutcher and Gaahl), so no matter what you say it remains awesome.
Get Thrashed looks much more promising.
What's that?

Well yes.
I'm trying to understand why it would be necessary to interview mostly non-thrash bands.