Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

oh geez. are we going to get into the signature thing again? its been 6 years. get the fuck over it!

as for the movie. it covers every aspect of the scene and most styles of the genre. not only does it cover the music, but it covers the content within; lyrics, attitude, and beliefs.
~gR~

its a special feature on the dvd. perhaps you can stick in the computer and make a copy of it and print it
~gR~

I just want a poster with that genre flow chart and I'll be happy. Anyone know if it's possible to get one of those?

Metal_Genealogy.jpg

Not the one in the film, but similar

i asked the same question. but i think its because they came out at the same time, and had a typical symphonic BM style
~gR~

the new album is thrash, but that didnt exist when that image was made

i wouldnt call sepultura thrash either. actually, i'd call them and pantera nu metal. but no one cares what i think...
~gR~

the new album is thrash, but that didnt exist when that image was made

i wouldnt call sepultura thrash either. actually, i'd call them and pantera nu metal. but no one cares what i think...
~gR~

Sepultura played thrash mixed with death metal for awile before playing nu-metal.

ive been drinking and i dont like them. so i'm gonna generalize because i damn well feel like it hehehe
~gR~

its been 6 years.

Which is precisely why it makes no sense to me. You have signed every single one of your posts for six years. Is it some kind of nervous tick or are you just really gay?

as for the movie. it covers every aspect of the scene and most styles of the genre. not only does it cover the music, but it covers the content within; lyrics, attitude, and beliefs.
~gR~

So what? It barely even makes any attempt to understand metal beyond a surface level. It "covers the music" in that it achieves little more than a bare presentation of the aesthetic tropes existent within the genre. Its understanding of metal music within a broader musical and cultural context is no more enlightening than the same story we've heard about metal a million fucking times before. Even the attempts by the participants of this documentary to connect metal to the classical music tradition were superficial and deeply unsatisfactory to anybody whose understanding of music operates on a level beyond 'it's loud', 'it's aggressive', or 'it's intense, dude'. And I do not recall anything particularly enlightening concerning the lyrical content/attitudes/beliefs within metal in this film.

its a 101 level movie, it isnt meant to be the end all be all definition of metal. just a well written attempt to give someone who is unfamiliar a basic understanding.
~gR~