Metal Clubs in the East -- Info Needed Please

Wishmaster said:
Unless these have recently changed, QR is playing at the Tabernacle and Def Leppard/Journey is at Chastain.

--Mike

You're right. I read the calendar wrong.

Cheiron said:
In Flames, Trivium, Zao, Devil Driver show.

Def Leppard in July with Journey!! =)

Queensryche in august

Ok, I'm sure SwordLord meant for venue's that would actually be bookable, and I doubt any power metal band could headline that place. That In Flames show must've been el terrible. The other two are big bands, so...

South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area)

The Culture Room- The Official venue of pretty much all metal tours in South Florida! VERY good sound, free parking, good location...
It is fairly small (500 capacity), but I don't think you will need anything any bigger thant that (Hell, I've seen bands as big as Opeth there)..
If you've been to the Jaxx in VA, it's a bit smaller, but with a higher stage! So people in the back have a better view...

The Revolution: nice place in Downtown Ft Lauderdale..2 stages, one of them being open air! if you know your way around, you can find free parking... but most of the people end up having to pay for it...
It's bigger than the Culture room and they get bigger tours... But the sound is not as good! I'd guess it fits a good 1000 people... But that's just a guess..
I would stick to the Culture room! :)

Tampa Bay area:

I am not from the area, but I travelled there a few times to see some concerts..

The Masquerade is really cool!! It's located in Ybor city, an area full of night clubs, restaurants, etc.. On weekends it is REALLY busy..
Parking is not free...
The sound is very good! The place is very cool inside.. I'd guess it can hold a good 1000 people...

Boomerz's Boiler room: Not as nice as the Masquerade... It's smaller, and the location is not as nice as Ybor city.. The stage is kinda small and the sound is decent!
If I remembere correctly, there is free parking..

There is another place in Ybor cirty, that is extremely cool! I don't remember the name.. But It's where CircleIICircle played their very first show! It's a few blocks away from the Masquarade and it is the nicest club of the 3... :)

In the Orlando Area most shows are at the House of Blues in downtown disney! Of couse, it's a killer place...

In Cleveland, the main venues for metal shows are the Agora Theater, which is 1800+ capacity, the Agora ballroom, which is something like 500 capacity, the HoB, which I believe is about 2000 capacity (you could easily find out at hob.com I'm sure), and Peabody's, which is around 6-700 capacity.

I haven't seen anyone mention Detroit yet... I'm not sure of the capacities of these venues: Harpo's is, I believe, 3000 capacity (but usually doesn't draw anywhere near that), and in a shitty part of town. I-Rock is about 800 capacity, and in the same shitty part of town. St. Andrew's Hall is about 1000 capacity, and is in an even shittier part of town.

The Orange Peel in Asheville, North Carolina. I wouldn't refer to it as a "metal" club, but it's an extremely nice concert club that sits amongst the North Carolina mountains. I saw Steve Vai there last year, and I'll be seeing Yngwie Malmsteen there next month. Steve said that he would've moved to Asheville if he and his wife had visited there 10 years ago! :)

www.theorangepeel.net

IMO, the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh sucks! I went there in 2003 and it's one of the worst I've been in! The entire place needs some major help.

What size venue are you looking for?

Tampa area:

http://www.clubbourbonstreet.com/ - very nice club, probably the best I've been to. Jon Oliva's Pain has played there a couple times. Around 500 capacity I think.

http://www.gasalleycafe.com/home.html - Another club, not as nice as Bourbon Street.

http://www.greenparrotpub.com/ - Bar/club, Nice, good sound. Seen Savatage and CIIC there. On the small side, around 300-400 maybe?

http://www.jannuslandingconcerts.com/web/homepage.asp - Bigger outdoor venue. It's a courtyard actually and fun place to see a show. Capacity around 1200 I think. Seen to many bands there to list.

http://www.statetheatreconcerts.com/ - Decent place for a show. Capacity around 700 - 1000? Just seen Opeth/Nevermore/ Into Eternity there not to long ago.

The Masquerade is closed in Tampa. Used to be a good place.

Thats' all I can think of right now.

That's right, I forgot the Masquerade in Tampa closed. A bit of a shocker, there; I don't think the club was losing its crowd..... The Masquerade in Atlanta will be closing, saith the latest rumour, in late June or early July. The owners are currently evaluating four existing sites for the replacement club, all of which are near or outside the Perimeter (and probably on the north side of Atlanta).

Meanwhile, back to the Roxy....

Mosquito said:
Ok, I'm sure SwordLord meant for venue's that would actually be bookable, and I doubt any power metal band could headline that place. That In Flames show must've been el terrible. The other two are big bands, so...

Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Dead Can Dance
Fight
Living Colour.....

It's a great venue with good sound (except for PT), but a bit big, I think, for Swordlord's purposes.

Pellaz said:
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Dead Can Dance
Fight
Living Colour.....

It's a great venue with good sound (except for PT), but a bit big, I think, for Swordlord's purposes.

Yeah that's what I was trying to point out. All of those bands could pull big crowds for whatever reason. I seriously doubt booking any Power metal bands (or Prog) will do that. The Masquerade will have to suffice.

As someone already pointed out, the Trocadeo is the place to book bands in the Philly area. And in case you're unfamiliar with the demographic, it draws heavily from South Jersey as well. Great club, great sight lines, great sound, big stage, holds 1,300 (including a balcony area), lot's of nearby parking, food, etc.

Zod

not sure what size venue you're looking for... but these PITTSBURGH venues seem to attract metal bands:

Mr. Smalls Funhouse (it's a converted church... amazing sound and amazing atmosphere... rather large... Opeth recently played there... my favorite venue anywhere)
31st Street Pub (small club that gets a lot of heavy acts)
Rex Theater (small theater that gets metal acts)
Smiling Moose (bar with a stage... attracts the black t-shirt crowd)

Err, Atlantans....we might have forgotten an appropriate venue here in Atlanta: The Loft at Earthlink Live. :lol: oops!

Capacity 600, a decent room, nicely appointed and that VIP room in back. Very limited free parking, but there's pay parking available and it's convenient to MARTA....

Call me silly, call me crazy, but Glenn might Know Somebody there. :heh:

Here's one rap/metal groups east coast tour (never listened to them) - Stuck Mojo. Might give you an idea of smaller venues...

Apr. 15 - Columbus, GA @ The Loft
Apr. 21 - Macon, GA @ Paradise Bar and Grill
May 04 - Bradenton, FL @ Rockerfeller's
May 05 - Lakeland, FL @ Lillian's Music Store
May 06 - Jacksonville, FL @ Jack Rabbits
May 07 - New Port Richey, FL @ Bourbon Street
May 19 - Jonesboro, GA @ Breakers Music Hall
Jun. 02 - Spartanburg, SC @ Ground Zero
Jun. 03 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Jun. 04 - Winston Salem, NC @ Ziggy's
Jun. 05 - Raleigh, NC @ The Brewery
Jun. 06 - Charleston, SC @ The Pour House