Metal Culture and Its Misconceptions

SoundMaster said:
One of the many misconceptions that annoys me is the one that metalhead's generally hold concerning non-metalheads. The idea of labeling those that aren't into metal as being part of a "herd" who copy each other is really hypcritical when you take into account that metal, in and of itself, consists of the exact same 'herd mentality' (only difference is it's a smaller herd).

For example, you often hear metal folks whining about the fact that "everyone else" in their school, etc, look and dress the same.
But take some time to look at the look and dress of the people attending a metal concernt. Guess what? The 'heavy metal uniform' is on display and in full effect.

The bottom line is that many metalheads claim to be totally unique individuals when, in fact, that's generally far from true.

Indeed, the average metalhead has this scenester attitude and they define themselves by the bands they listen to yet they never care to analyze the bands in any intellectual level. Yet they stick their noses up younger kids new to metal who don't know what bands are respectable in the metal scene and what not. Yeah, that band is cool it's totally old school riffs and they drink beer. Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me. Any idiot can do some bit of research and find out what bands are cool in the metal scene. Well, at least most metal fans are serious about the music than the average population.

Who cares if the average population doesnt "get" metal. It's counterculture music and it's not supposed to be mass produced and accessible in the first place. Maybe some bands hit the mainstream like thrash in the 80s and nu-metal in the 90s but.

ThePhilosopher said:
Rob Zombie is just about as braindead as any mainstream rap. Wearing a certain kind of shirt isn't going to make you a moron.

Metal fans making fun of rap music and it's followers is no different than when they would do the same to us. There's plenty (I would say an overwhelming) amount of metal fans who are ignorant assholes too. There's a lot of people who discredit rap as an artform in a similarly ignorant way the general public might try to discredit underground metal. Way to shoot yourself in the foot. It's examples and arguments like these that make us look worse. Infoterror is right.

There's a massive herd mentality involved in metal as well. The vast majority of metal fans dress in a similar manner, same as all the people that wear Hollister and have their shirts with their collars up. There's no point in trying to belittle a group of people because of how they dress. Nor is there any point in trying to make the metal community's collective behavior seem better than anyone elses because it isn't.

Your viewpoint is just as ignorant as theirs is.

I agree, those metalheads that act metal by dressing and acting similarly are just as bad as any other group, except they tend to be outcasts in the first place. Any of these music-related adolescent cultures, are in the end all conformity clubs--regardless of what genre of music the group listens to.

In regards to the broader topic at hand, I perhaps have a unique insight on this. I dont own any metal memorabilia outside of one motorhead shirt I wear rarely. I dont have long hair, Ive lifted weights for ten years, I got a grad degree last year, and before that I had a brief stint in law school. I have never been part of one of these conformity clubs, and most of my friends havent the slightest clue what black or thrash, or death metal is, nor have they ever heard it (one former gf, called it death rock all the time, which amused me) Hence, in short, to the average person, I am not someone who listens to metal.

Thus, the reaction I get when I inform them, yes, I love metal, is always interesting. Most wonder why, or suddenly think there is something wrong with me; I must be even more eccentric then they thought. They all also mock it constantly--which I have grown used to. In fact, for the most part, I simply dont tell people about my preference in music, until we have become good friends. Liberals think I drink blood or Sieg Heil Hitler; conservatives think i am somehow childish to waste my time on such crap, and then always bring up the irreligious aspect.

In short, I think metal is perceived by the public, to be a genre reserved for angry adolescents, and violent crazies. I dont see this perception changing, unless metal is somehow more or less popularized, and/or less hillbilles, whack jobs, and other undesirables stop listening to it. But I dont see that happening. You can disagree with me, but I am always amused at the slime and trash that crawls out of their holes to attend a metal show. I've pretty much stopped going, as I for one, do not enjoy being in a trailer park atmosphere, nor hanging around confused depressed repressed homsexual teenagers, clad in T-shirts or other laughably morose gear--these are the people that always seem to attend most shows, unless its say Neurosis (a intelligent crowd), or a prog metal show, which is the biggest collection of socially awkward pudgy thirty year old men I've ever seen.

Nah I totally agree with what you're saying. As someone who plays in a metal band I do find it somewhat embarassing when I play a show and I see the kinds of people that are there. Aside from the fact that I do have somewhat long hair and sometimes wear metal shirts, I'm far from what would normally be considered a stereotypical looking metal fan. I have nothing against wearing polo shirts or khaki pants or not looking like a dirtbag from time to time. It's just strange identifying with metal to the point where I'm very much into composing it and playing but I can hardly relate to the significantly white trash audience that is also into it.

I accept that it's a counterculture movement and agree with most everything else you said.

ThePhilosopher said:
Nah I totally agree with what you're saying. As someone who plays in a metal band I do find it somewhat embarassing when I play a show and I see the kinds of people that are there. Aside from the fact that I do have somewhat long hair and sometimes wear metal shirts, I'm far from what would normally be considered a stereotypical looking metal fan. I have nothing against wearing polo shirts or khaki pants or not looking like a dirtbag from time to time. It's just strange identifying with metal to the point where I'm very much into composing it and playing but I can hardly relate to the significantly white trash audience that is also into it.

I accept that it's a counterculture movement and agree with most everything else you said.

Semper Tyrannis?

ThePhilosopher said:

Yes, thats whats so intriguing about metal: it is essentially a counterculture, thumb your nose at the world type of culture and artform; yet, and this is where its interesting, its actual rebellion is so cliche and conformist, that its hard to say if there is any rebellion left. And, because of its dark, violent nature, and its counterculture status, it attracts outcasts and miscreants. Furthermore, I'd like to add the music itself, in most cases is incredibly predictable and given to a set form with little variation; if a band tries something different, they are derided as sell-outs, and not a troo-metal band.

But I suppose everything follows this set of logic. I remember I went to the last White Stripes concert in town last Oct or Sep--cant remember(got in for free) and it was essentially a yuppie and pseudo-intellectual-creative crowd; one in which I had a conversation with a young man, who was confident enough in telling me Jack White is the best guitarist and songwriter in rock today--which of course led me to chuckle and then argue with him, as he was sure he was right. Also, one noticed a preponderance of similarly dressed persons who, if one talked to most of them, probably had the same idealistic coffeehouse beliefs. Hence, point being, its all the same; just different looks, and tyrannies of thought. And its the same with the artistic output itself; people cry and complain if a writer or a pop band or T.V. show tries something a bit different; not sticking to its previous set form or genre.

speed said:
Yes, thats whats so intriguing about metal: it is essentially a counterculture, thumb your nose at the world type of culture and artform; yet, and this is where its interesting, its actual rebellion is so cliche and conformist, that its hard to say if there is any rebellion left. And, because of its dark, violent nature, and its counterculture status, it attracts outcasts and miscreants. Furthermore, I'd like to add the music itself, in most cases is incredibly predictable and given to a set form with little variation; if a band tries something different, they are derided as sell-outs, and not a troo-metal band.

But I suppose everything follows this set of logic. I remember I went to the last White Stripes concert in town last Oct or Sep--cant remember(got in for free) and it was essentially a yuppie and pseudo-intellectual-creative crowd; one in which I had a conversation with a young man, who was confident enough in telling me Jack White is the best guitarist and songwriter in rock today--which of course led me to chuckle and then argue with him, as he was sure he was right. Also, one noticed a preponderance of similarly dressed persons who, if one talked to most of them, probably had the same idealistic coffeehouse beliefs. Hence, point being, its all the same; just different looks, and tyrannies of thought. And its the same with the artistic output itself; people cry and complain if a writer or a pop band or T.V. show tries something a bit different; not sticking to its previous set form or genre.

I whole heartedly agree. The preoccupation with individuality has totally subverted the initial idea, in a very real and ironic way. People just being comfortable the way they are has been replaced by bland and idiotic beliefs that essentially express nothing but watered down ideas.

Final_Product said:
I whole heartedly agree. The preoccupation with individuality has totally subverted the initial idea, in a very real and ironic way. People just being comfortable the way they are has been replaced by bland and idiotic beliefs that essentially express nothing but watered down ideas.

There are so few individuals; and maybe there really have never been many. Thats why I think we are so drawn to those people who we meet in our lives, who are totally original (well I am anyway). Unless one is truly a genius or in a field that doesnt mind eccentricity, one has to go with the flow; swimming against the stream doesnt work in our highly hierachical socially dependent society-- a true shame. Well, thats my two cents of pop psychology.

Thanks a lot guys for posting as much as you have, it was more than I had hoped for.

Anyway, I agree that a large portion of metal heads are as big of conformists as the “pink shirt wearing rap fans”. A lot of times I think kids begin listening to metal just to become part of the 'counterculture'. Finding a passion for the music comes sometime later. I wear band shirts every so often, but I never did the whole 'spiked collar, eye shadow, and beg for attention' thing. I'm a pretty shy person and the less I'm noticed, the better. I never felt it was important to make some sort of social statement with my clothes. It's also good to keep in mind that there IS a stigma on metal-heads, and no matter how true to yourself you are trying to be by dressing the part, it can sometimes make it harder to do things like get a date or a good job.

Really, I think if an up and coming metal-head wants to separate him or herself from the “herd”, they should free their mind from trivial things like fashions and trends and think a little harder about what individuality really is.

Unblind said:
Really, I think if an up and coming metal-head wants to separate him or herself from the “herd”, they should free their mind from trivial things like fashions and trends and think a little harder about what individuality really is.

Folks really should just relax and see where it takes them.

^^^Well said dude, expecially that first paragraph, i never really looked at it in that manner.

For me, there is no doubt that we who sport metal clothing, have long black hair and listen to, what is sometimes, satanic style music are always going to cop from those who dont understand what this kind of music really means to us, and the fact that because I love Mercyful Fate doesnt mean that i like to rape nuns and praise Satan, in fact, quite the contrary.

There are few preconceptions about metal-heads in my environment. We workout, we don't act like assholes, we get good grades.
Since my friends are talented musicians, they were allowed to play One for our Rememberance Day Assembly.
When we wear a Slayer t-shirt or Lamb of God are anything we are being judged for our behaviour. The media uses music as a scapegoat to sidestep the deeper social issues of a tragedy like they did for the Columbine Shootings.

As long as there are people unwilling to learn about what they don't know, there will always be stupid goddamn pre-conceptions.

Insilden_The Shred said:
Most heavy metal paints a picture for the listener... I could listen to the most vile Death Metal on end for months... but put me in a room for 10 minutes playing Brittney Spears and this is when I'll be compled to kill myself. Anyone recall the last time a well known Metal musician was caught commiting disgusting acts with children??? probably not... but Priests do it all the time...

Whilst I know it is a stretch to call Static x metal but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripp_Eisen

Of course the argument that there have been SOME priests in history who have committed SOME crimes against children, but there has been FEWER metal musicians who have committed crimes against children therefore metallers are less likely to rape children is a laughable example.

But it brings up a fine point about metal.

In my experience as a metal head, who does have long hair and proudly listens to a vast collection of metal from death, to prog, to power, to thrash (I don't especially like black) I find if anything I get accused of being an anti-social nerd rather than a raging murder.

To justify the negative image of metal by casting negative images against other institutions such as the catholic church or Islam makes us not only nerds, but hypocritical nerds at that. I have known psychopaths who have listened to metal and I have known some of the nicest people in the world who have listened to metal.

Yet, here we are complaining about the negative stereotypes cast upon us, whilst we are happy to throw down negative stereotypes upon other groups.

But for all the complaints in this thread I have never suffered at being a metal-head, I have friends some of who don't even listen to metal, I have had girlfriends who haven't mind the fact that our taste in music differs and shock horror sometimes they are even enjoy the genre.

I've noted that people do tend to stereotype because people listen to metal. I've been asked a few times, if I'm a goth, a devil worshipper, why I don't have long hair, and most commonly why I'm not a pothead, since I'm supposed to be since I listen to metal.

The Devil's Steed said:
I've noted that people do tend to stereotype because people listen to metal. I've been asked a few times, if I'm a goth, a devil worshipper, why I don't have long hair, and most commonly why I'm not a pothead, since I'm supposed to be since I listen to metal.

Yeah, I get that, "man, why aren't you on drugs, since your into progressive metal", and what not...

Fact is: One who is open-minded, and one who really studies music should know that metal is one of the better forms of music out there. It's art. I mean, well, all in all, it depends on what kind of bands you listen to, and what bands the media hypes, sticks to. You obviously can't compare stuff like Slipknot to Opeth. For instance, some bands really can't play their instruments, and they just scream without a purpose, they just blabber out crap, but when you get into the world of the better stuff. The more powerful, elemental, instrument driven material, then that's where you should seriiously look at metal.

Metal is nature, man. When you listen to stuff like Opeth and Dream Theater, there's more to the music then just heavy guitar usage....there's a deep harmony and sync between your mind and the music. One has to be understanding and appreciative of melodies, and rythamic guitar vibes to really get into metal.

A lot of shit out there is extremely...poetry. Metal is beautiful, and definately is a form of art. People just don't tend to towards the more unsigned, underground, foriegn type of stuff.

This genre has more to it then guy(s) screaming like fucktards while playing the guitars. Heck, most of them don't even scream. This would would be better without stereo-types.

Valtries said:
There are few preconceptions about metal-heads in my environment. We workout, we don't act like assholes, we get good grades.
Since my friends are talented musicians, they were allowed to play One for our Rememberance Day Assembly.
When we wear a Slayer t-shirt or Lamb of God are anything we are being judged for our behaviour. The media uses music as a scapegoat to sidestep the deeper social issues of a tragedy like they did for the Columbine Shootings.

As long as there are people unwilling to learn about what they don't know, there will always be stupid goddamn pre-conceptions.

Agreed. Great post.

A Reason To Sing said:
Fact is: One who is open-minded, and one who really studies music should know that metal is one of the better forms of music out there.
The more powerful, elemental, instrument driven material, then that's where you should seriiously look at metal.

Metal is nature, man. When you listen to stuff like Opeth and Dream Theater, there's more to the music then just heavy guitar usage....there's a deep harmony and sync between your mind and the music. One has to be understanding and appreciative of melodies, and rythamic guitar vibes to really get into metal.

A lot of shit out there is extremely...poetry. Metal is beautiful, and definately is a form of art. People just don't tend to towards the more unsigned, underground, foriegn type of stuff.

This genre has more to it then guy(s) screaming like fucktards while playing the guitars. Heck, most of them don't even scream. This would would be better without stereo-types.

You sound rather elitist. Maybe I like guys screaming like fucktards while they rape their instruments. I call that metal too. It appears that you don't. Or at least not as much and as good and deep as e.g. Opeth. I prefer Morbid Angel to Opeth anyday.

Ps: I don't consider Dream Theater to be metal, really. But that's an opinion on the definition of metal.