Metal Culture and Its Misconceptions

speed said:
Yes, thats whats so intriguing about metal: it is essentially a counterculture, thumb your nose at the world type of culture and artform; yet, and this is where its interesting, its actual rebellion is so cliche and conformist, that its hard to say if there is any rebellion left.

I think this is where black metal grew up: it went from "hail satan" to affirming the positive aspects of Romanticism in a few short years. Metal had better continue on this course, or its future is parallel to that of negative genres like emo and metalcore.

I think the whole dark and evil aspect in metal has almost alwyas been tounge in cheek. Its silly and fun, but most people shouldn't take talk about killing and raping or satan style lyrics as a serious topic. Some people just don't understand what serious means.

infoterror said:
I think this is where black metal grew up: it went from "hail satan" to affirming the positive aspects of Romanticism in a few short years. Metal had better continue on this course, or its future is parallel to that of negative genres like emo and metalcore.

I feel that at it's core, Black Metal continues onwards with it's romantic philosophy, except now in a less violent manner. The violence though, was simply there for attention, and really, little else. Reading recent interviews with Vikernes and comparing to the older ones only confirms this idea in my opinion (even Varg's racism is toned down these days. He's still a wanker though).

The only extreme things going on now are NSBM which is laughing stock anyway, and personally, I feel NSBM isn't romantic at all, as opposed to being carrying a flag which was never universally flown in Black Metal in the first place.

I prefer Black Metal to express it's philosophy through intelligent research, lyrics and spritual expression.

Examples
- Negura Bunget (Transylvania)
- Drudkh (Ukraine)
- Enslaved (who I feel are still thoroughly Black/Viking Metal - Norway)
- Deathspell Omega (France)

People try to hard to be individual and the most idividual genre of music is probably metal as it isn't as mainstream and that equals individuality.
But on a different note the Metal Culture is one big misconception not many people that don't actually listen to Metal think all it is,is "A bunch of angry men with long hair shouting into a microphone" but there also is alot of Metal Musicians that "Give Metal a bad name" so the whole Metal Culture has become Subject to that misconception.

Heavenscent said:
You sound rather elitist. Maybe I like guys screaming like fucktards while they rape their instruments. I call that metal too. It appears that you don't. Or at least not as much and as good and deep as e.g. Opeth. I prefer Morbid Angel to Opeth anyday.

Ps: I don't consider Dream Theater to be metal, really. But that's an opinion on the definition of metal.

Dream Theater is simply progressive, and I some of their work definately qualifies as progressive.

Meh, I'm not into metalcore, or the hardcore screaming stuff. Maybe some As I Lay Dying, Poison The Well......

But, raping your guitar and screaming like a little turd isn't what I consider good metal, although. That shit just get's repetitivie. And often, that's what people judge us all by, atleast the people who aren't educated about the sub genre's do.

Growling and using clean vocal implementations is the way to go.

Mitton said:
But on a different note the Metal Culture is one big misconception not many people that don't actually listen to Metal think all it is,is "A bunch of angry men with long hair shouting into a microphone" but there also is alot of Metal Musicians that "Give Metal a bad name" so the whole Metal Culture has become Subject to that misconception.

I agree but those people who don't listen to Metal will never listen to metal and they wouldn't dare listen to Metal.
If they listen to some like Angel of Death by Slayer or Slipknot those preconceptions are made, but show them something that has skill like Dream Theater and they will have different preconceptions. They might turn into a arrogant assholes who will abandon most other forms of metal because of the lack of talent, but they'll listen to metal

Forigve me if I don't put this very well. It's late and in addition to that, I'm not very good at putting thoughts all together cohesively.

I am a metal fan. Early in my life of listening to music, I listened to oldies mostly, as that's what my mom listened to (Jim Croce still rules.) Around, probably 1998 or so, I got the game, Quake 2, which had a pretty good metalish soundtrack, no lyrics or anything. I listened to this thing over and over again and really loved it. One day, my sisters boyfriend told me he wanted to show me some Metallica. Now, I had heard of them before, but I was a tad worried, as I told him: "But, I don't really like heavy metal with vocals."

Needless to say, I was througholy(?) impressed by it and Metallica became my favorite band. Fast forward quite a bit to now. I've expanded my metal library quite a bit. My favorite band is now Opeth and I really dig all genres of metal (besides nu-metal, really.)

For some reason, I never picked-up the stereotypical metal image. I've got blond hair and blue eyes and I prefer my hair short and wear a hat everyday. Generally, I wear a nicer looking shirt with some jeans. Occasionally, I'll wear my Metallica or Opeth shirt, but those are the only two metal shirts I actually own.

For some reason, even though my best friends are drunks and potheads, I never picked that up either. I'm almost 22 now and I very rarely drink. If I do drink, it's usually a drink or two at maximum. The last time I got totally shitfaced drunk was with my buddy when his brother died. I've tried pot, but never really cared for it and never got into smoking it. Edit: Coming back to this specific part, I forgot to mention that I added it in here, because it seems to be a large part of the metal culture. Getting drunk as hell and on occasion, smoking and listening to music while saying, "whoa..."

After explaining all this, I'd really like to say that I'm VERY MUCH into metal. Granted, I enjoy all types of music. Country, Oldies, some pop, etc. Hate rap, punkish/emo and techo stuff. That said, my favorite genre besides metal is classical. But very rarely will you ever find me listening to anything but metal. I listen to it when I sleep, eat, surf the internet, play video games, drive, work and go to school.

As much as I am into the genre, I never express it to other people beyond my tshirts, or only if they ask what I like. I never force anyone to listen to my music, such as when they're in my car or in my house, or anywhere else. A lot of it has to do with the stigma surrounding the whole metal genre. I hate having to explain to people the true artistic value of it. My girlfriend says all she heres is--in her best growling voice--"RAWR,RAWR,RAWR." I am consistantly stereotyped when people find out I listen to metal and, as I said before, I'm forced into explaining the real value I find in metal. When I listen to metal, I listen to it for all the different emotions. A little Korpiklaani or Finntroll when I just want to listen to something fun. Opeth, Dark Tranquility, etc, when I want to be introspective. Not to sound completely unmanly, but on occasion while listening to metal in my room, alone, with my headphones on, I get a little choked-up. It's astonishing how beautiful the music is and how much emotion it conveys. This is something I REALLY appreciate in my music. As said before, occasionally, I'll like a pop song. It's just useless fun. But I like my music to mean something more when I really want to get into it. But, I don't completely dismiss things that aren't ment to be something for pure emotional, intellectual value. Okay, I'm digging a whole here. But, I just mean to say, I really enjoy metal for it's musicianship and, in general, intellectual stimulation.

I think metal, overall, has inspired me to be a better person. Through metal, I've discovered, I'm a lot more intelligent than I originally thought myself. It's hard to explain really what I want to right here, but through metal, I've met a lot of intelligent people. I find metalheads are generally a lot more intelligent than your average person and I can really identify with a lot of them.

I feel like metal has opened up a lot of doors for me. For example, two words that belong together are, "metal" and "philosophy." I feel like a lot of the reason I'm very much into philosophy as I am, (favorites being Nietzsche and Sartre) has to do with metal. A lot of the people who dismiss metal as satanic and trash music I find are very much the type who are more likely to think watching the history channel is boring, or philosophy has no practical use. Certainly not everyone of course, as my girlfriend, dad and sister are all quite intelligent people.

But--sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As my reasoning for the disclaimer at the top of this post--I really wish I could explain what I mean in full. Through metal and through philosophy, I've gone from being a Catholic to being an agnostic, boarderline athiest. My family doesn't understand it. My mother still says I'm Catholic, refusing to accept any of my beliefs and my aunt condemns me to hell because of metal and my beliefs. I guess, what I'm trying to say is I haven't encountered a whole lot of this in the metal culture.

Huh. Sorry for this disjointed, very randomish post. I really have something I want to say, but it's very difficult for me to organize it and put it in some sort of way that everyone can understand. It makes sense inside my head, but when it comes out, it's just irrational ramblings. :err:

Edit: Thought of some more, sorry!

People have a lot of preconceptions about metal. That has a lot to do with the reason I do not enjoy telling people what I listen to. Invariably, I just end-up getting made fun of and am not allowed to present my idea about why metal is artistic and amazing. I think almost everyone has a preconception of metal that you must be a drunk, pot smoking, long haired, black wearing, satan worshipping type person. But, obviously, that is not the case. I think my whole post is trying to point to the simple fact that metalheads come in all shapes and sizes. Metal is more a state of mind than it is an image. I think more intellectual types are drawn to the genre and don't necessarilly have to have some sort of image to cultivate. There are many misconceptions about metal and this is one of the biggest. That you HAVE to have long hair, always wear metal band t-shirts, etc. I think you just have to appreciate good musicianship and good music.

Now something fun. A friend of mine, who is fourty now, his favorite band is, The Who. He really enjoys live music, so I decided one night, I'd bring over the Opeth, Lamentations DVD to show to him. He doesn't really care for the really heavy stuff, but he certainly appreciates Opeths more mellow side. He said he was quite impressed with how excellent they were with their instruments and said he didn't think any bands like that existed in this day and age. His preconception was that I was going to show him something like an 80's hair metal band and that Opeth completely shattered any preconceptions he had about metal. That made me so incredibly happy. Unfortunately, with this, I got a little overzealous and attempted to introduce my girlfriend to Opeths stylings, but she can't really appreciate it. But, she's not very much into music as I am, so I leave it to that.

Thanks for reading, if you did :D

I think people are becoming a lot more individual in a way. A lot more people are listening to metal, many who just dress and act normally. It sucks that everybody get stereotyped, but that's just the way things are. My own brothers and their friends constantly take the piss out of me for it, but it doesn't bother me. I just laugh along and make them listen to it anyway! None of my friends listen to metal either, which sucks a bit, it would be nice to share it but in a way it's nice having my own thing going on.

The Hubster said:
I feel that at it's core, Black Metal continues onwards with it's romantic philosophy, except now in a less violent manner. The violence though, was simply there for attention, and really, little else. Reading recent interviews with Vikernes and comparing to the older ones only confirms this idea in my opinion (even Varg's racism is toned down these days. He's still a wanker though).

The only extreme things going on now are NSBM which is laughing stock anyway, and personally, I feel NSBM isn't romantic at all, as opposed to being carrying a flag which was never universally flown in Black Metal in the first place.

I prefer Black Metal to express it's philosophy through intelligent research, lyrics and spritual expression.

Examples
- Negura Bunget (Transylvania)
- Drudkh (Ukraine)
- Enslaved (who I feel are still thoroughly Black/Viking Metal - Norway)
- Deathspell Omega (France)

You realize that while Drudkh isn't NSBM, the members are part of the NSBM scene and hold those beliefs, right?