metal fucking -core -core -core

VampyrRose said:
However, I think most bands benefit from having variation amongst its music, including the vocals. I think range in death metal is crucial - for example, I find a lot of 'typical' death metal vocalists (especially NY bands)make consistent use of monotonous/generic vocals making it bland and unexciting to listen to.

NYDM is one of my favorite types of music, and while I agree that they often have little variation in the sound of the vocals, it's the rythm that matters in this style. As long as the original sound is good, and there is a good rythm I don't really mind if the sound doesn't change too much.

cookiecutter said:
NYDM is one of my favorite types of music, and while I agree that they often have little variation in the sound of the vocals, it's the rythm that matters in this style. As long as the original sound is good, and there is a good rythm I don't really mind if the sound doesn't change too much.

Agree

cookiecutter said:

Indeed.

My theory is that there is one group people who enjoy music simply for the rhythm and the pure aggression, while the other group has a need for more musical elements, such as melody and vocal diversity to satiate their ears.

What I find still puzzling is the first group of people who do not enjoy the music of the second group's liking.

Zephyrus said:
Indeed.

My theory is that there is one group people who enjoy music simply for the rhythm and the pure aggression, while the other group has a need for more musical elements, such as melody and vocal diversity to satiate their ears.

What I find still puzzling is the first group of people who do not enjoy the music of the second group's liking.

I definitely agree, for example I enjoy Naglfar's last two albums because of its sheer aggression, hatred etc - I listen to ambient for its atmosphere, mood etc. But for me, when it comes to death metal I'd much rather listen to bands like Behemoth, Nile, Panzerchrist & Belphegor's later albums. Its just my taste, but I find a lot of the NYDM scene to be a bit bland - not that I dislike it, but I prefer the heavier, energetic, aggression that the aforementioned bands have. I find a lof of NYDM bands tend to emulate Suffocation's style, and I personally enjoy the more "extreme" and modern approach to death metal.

Zephyrus said:
Indeed.

I manage to enjoy both, though I prefer rhythm based stuff, I like Black metal purdy good.