Metal in Europe vs. Metal in the USA

Disclaimer: Please do not construe anything in this post as racist.

I think what happened is that in the early 90's, hip hop exploded in the US while death/black metal was sweeping Northern Europe. Thanks in part to the dubious culture shaping of MTV, and in part to some of the ridiculous excess of the 80's hair bands, hip hop became the genre of choice for rebellious American teens. You can see it even in suburban schools today: the black t shirt heavy metal crowd has been replaced by baggy jean wearing Eminem wanna be's.

While Europe isn't monolithic by any means, there is more homogeneity in each European national culture than there is in the US, at least IMHO. So it just makes sense to me that there has been a higher level of acceptance for loud, distorted songs about Thor in Oslo, for example, than in Miami or Atlanta.

I never thought of hip hop really effecting metal and it's popularity. If younger generation started going towards hip hop well I guess the better man was winning there or the better marketing. But I do think all the 80s bands i.e. Warrant, Poison, etc were getting old. Jani blames his death on Nirvana, I say that third album just kinda sucked.
Hip hop, pop, boy groups it is a totally different beast. Hell the idea of conplaining about stuff like a boy group never made sense to me because that shit has been around as long as rock n roll.
An hip hop is the last original movement to happen in popular western music so more power to it. I think the white man tried to steal it too and make it theirs like they did rock n roll.

Second of all - as someone who has been working in the metal business for many many years (20 years by now - 15 of those having my own metal management & booking company) in both Europe and the US, I can honestly say that the cartoon couldn't be more wrong. Sorry to bust your bubble those of you that believe metal is "big" in Europe - it's not.
c.

I think the point of the cartoon was more about the attitude rather than the successfulness of it all.

AND THUS I HAVE NULLIFIED EVERY ARGUMENT IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

You know what would be cool?

A panel at ProgPower with some people who work in the business... to discuss the current state of metal in the US and in Europe. Get a few people who work in the business/scene and a few artists. It would be something soooo friggin' cool, and it would actually educate a lot of people!!!!

A panel at ProgPower with some people who work in the business... to discuss the current state of metal in the US and in Europe. Get a few people who work in the business/scene and a few artists. It would be something soooo friggin' cool, and it would actually educate a lot of people!!!!

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me lol. Especially with how opinionated everyone is.

:tickled: I have often thought of things like this but no one will tell the truth or wants to hear the truth. But I would like to see it as much as I would love to thorwdown with that Eddie Trunk guy.

Europe has twice the population as the US packed into a smaller area, so yes, they have more fests.

Added the bolded part.

Not if we had someone big and mean as a moderator. :lol:

Paging Greg Hasbrouck..... :lol:

:tickled: I have often thought of things like this but no one will tell the truth or wants to hear the truth. But I would like to see it as much as I would love to thorwdown with that Eddie Trunk guy.

I would rather have one Ian Christie than a dozen Eddie Trunks.

I saw Lizzy Borden in Pittsburgh in May of 2010 and the girls with the bikinis were there!

I saw Lizzy Borden in Pittsburgh in May of 2010 and the girls with the bikinis were there! They did put on something after the show but nobody was playing chess, lmao!

We had this in Calgary at Noctis IV, the first day (from 10am - 5pm) was a heavy metal conference, which featured speakers such as Andy Sneap, Ian Christe, Tom "Angelripper", Martin Atkins, Sam Dunn, Eric Greif, Matt Jacobson and many more. There were topics ranging from recording seminars, indie vs. label, the role of a producer, touring in North America, Music law, dealing with promoters, etc etc etc. It was extremely successful, and the various speakers were also at teh festival, just hanging out and chatting with musicians/fans and watching the bands. Awesome fest.

http://www.noctisvalkyries.com/noctis4/home.html

This is easily the best metal-related event in Canada, and I'm willing to bet it's as strong as most things going on states-wide right now.