Metal Most Hate, and You DIG

Carpe Mortem

Benevolently Batshit
Aug 21, 2013
Self explanatory. I also suggest posting something that might change others' minds.

Repped them before, doin it again. Listen to this song if you hate them and haven't. Nothin like 'Her Ghost in the Fog'

Badass cover. More masculine than 'Bloody Kisses', which is what most people associate them with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people seem to consider Taramis to be a band from the 80's that was deservedly forgotten, but to me Queen of Thieves is one of the greatest underground progressive/trad-power albums of that entire period. Imagine an alternative universe where Night on Brocken wasn't so rudimentary and instead contained all the musical ability displayed on The Spectre Within, but with less slightly less mystique compensated for by incredible groove, sort of like the difference between Iron Maiden's S/T and Powerslave. Has one of my all-time favorite metal drumming performances, and even though it's not a progressive album in terms of sheer techiness, they love constantly throwing out new verses and melodies.

Never heard of them but I dug it hamburger. One thing, I usually don't say this but fuller production would have been beneficial.

We've had this thread I don't know how many times now but whatever who cares at this point.

Untroo bands I listen to...

Slipknot
Dragonforce
Amaranthe
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquillity
Born of Osiris
Dimmu Borgir
In Flames
Dream Theater

ect ect I could go on and on i just don't really care if people hate them or not. I actually understand why a lot of people hate these bands though. Just look at the top artists on my last.fm page I'm sure you'll find some pretty gay untr00 bands floatin' around in there lol.

I haven't heard anything by Dragonforce or Born of Osiris I find redeeming. The rest of them I can think of a song or two I'll throw them a bone with.

I love early Tristania and Theatre of Tragedy and it seems most metalheads hate "Beauty and the Beast" metal. I also really like Nightwish's Oceanborn, which I can't even explain to myself since I like no other power metal and find that album cheesy as fuck. But it's so fucking catchy.

Yeah, early Tristania and ToT are good. Not quite on The Gathering's level for early gothic metal, but still good.

One I forgot (probably because I've mentioned them before similarly) is Protest the Hero. Easily one of the most traditionally metal (in a thrash way) metalcore bands, but all it takes are some screaming vocals and the occasional breakdown for people to keel over. If people attacked them on the basis of silliness or instrumental masturbation alone then fine, but an album like Scurrilous is basically pure thrashy progressive metal, just with a bit of groove (and more like a swinging technical Cowboys from Hell than any boring mid-tempo chugging). The idea that

is somehow less metal than any "depressive"/"atmospheric"/etc black metal band makes me laugh. Sadly not surprising considering that most nowadays metalheads are riffless cowards.

Never heard of them but I dug it hamburger. One thing, I usually don't say this but fuller production would have been beneficial.

Yeah, the production (and vocalist) seem to be major hang-ups for most people, although fwiw there's definitely some YouTube compression going on there as well.

Protest The Hero is good. I've liked them since I heard this in NHL 07:

Not their greatest song, but I thought it was pretty cool back then.

To add to the thread... I'm a sucker for some of that sappy "Gothic" metal. The non Death/Doom Katatonia, My Dying Bride, The Gathering, etc. I also like the occasional Power Metal album (like Kamelot and stuff)

I almost was actually going to post that exact song but I thought it had too many different things going on to be an ideal example. Regardless, some of the riffing is 100% thrash metal and if anyone thinks it's less metal than, say, Neurosis, they're clearly listening from the viewpoint of "if I don't like it, it must be 'core'".

One I forgot (probably because I've mentioned them before similarly) is Protest the Hero. Easily one of the most traditionally metal (in a thrash way) metalcore bands, but all it takes are some screaming vocals and the occasional breakdown for people to keel over. If people attacked them on the basis of silliness or instrumental masturbation alone then fine, but an album like Scurrilous is basically pure thrashy progressive metal, just with a bit of groove (and more like a swinging technical Cowboys from Hell than any boring mid-tempo chugging). The idea that is somehow less metal than any "depressive"/"atmospheric"/etc black metal band makes me laugh. Sadly not surprising considering that most nowadays metalheads are riffless cowards.

Yeah, the production (and vocalist) seem to be major hang-ups for most people, although fwiw there's definitely some YouTube compression going on there as well.

I see your point this time. It's also interesting that keyboard metal like Summoning and Caladan Brood is still considered "tr00" so people into Tolkien and other Harry Potter books don't feel silly.

Yeah I gotta give my vote to a lot of gothic metal bands, plus on a personal note they bridged my way into the doomier shit, which has made me a happy camper.

And a lot of "nu-metal", Korn and whatnot. I dig rap, if my definition is correct nu-metal is basically just rappy metal, which I'm totally cool and happy with.

I liked nu metal when I was 14, but it sounds really bad now. The bands just were not good musicians or songwriters and the overall suburban-dude-pissed off-at-everything-so-I'm-gonna-break-some-shit ambiance just annoys the fuck out of me now. The exception is Rage Against the Machine who are legit.

I liked nu metal when I was 14, but it sounds really bad now. The bands just were not good musicians or songwriters and the overall suburban-dude-pissed off-at-everything-so-I'm-gonna-break-some-shit ambiance just annoys the fuck out of me now. The exception is Rage Against the Machine who are legit.

Agreed about everything. RATM are indeed legit.

They're not true at all. Nerds have just collectively built a fortress around them.

Yeah.

Sometimes nostalgia is a strong motivator for music I like. And aint that what it's all about? You can go back and forth all day about the instrumental stylings and creative nuances of a particular song, or lack of, but when it all boils down to it music is subjective and it's the feeling that really grabs ya.

Also gonna give my vote to Static-X, pre-Cannibal album. I don't hear people talk shit ever but I don't hear them talk good either. They was my snowboarding band.