Metal Presentation

jimmybob123

Mar 27, 2007
For school we have to do a presentation on the something that means alot to us. We have to present it orally but can use props. I chose metal and finished my speech part but I can't decide what to use as a prop, visual aid, model etc. Any suggestions?

Sure, and try to keep in mind this is a for a middle school presentation. I could of written alot more but it's suppost to be moderately short and to the point. I wrote this in a hour too. These are my own words and was written without the help of the internet. These are pretty much my opinions and understandings. So here it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Metal developed between 1968 and 1974, it’s main influences are rock, punk and classical. Bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple influenced and started the genre with their hard rock sounds consisting of distorted and fast guitar riffs, heavy drums, unique bass and screaming vocals. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Metallica advanced the genre and made it more popular. It took until the 1980s for this to happen. Although it has never been considered a mainstream or popular genre; metal has millions of fans worldwide usually referred to as “headbangers” or “metalheads.”
North America and Europe are the main contributors to metal. Particularly Britain and Scandinavia of Europe. There are many sub-genres of metal, some popular some underground. But all with distinct sounds and styles.
Heavy metal is usually dominated by a strong guitar and drum sound. The common line-up for a metal band is a lead singer, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bassist and drummer. Sometimes a keyboard player or even another guitarist is added to the roster. Lyrical themes often include death, religion, fiction, poetry, fantasy, drugs, and mythology. Many stereotype metal fans as dumb drug addicts who are always angry. But they don’t know metal or even listen to it. People will hear one metal song and think every other one is like that. But that’s completely wrong, out of all the genres I know and listen to metal is definitely the most varied and unique. Yes there are brutal songs with growls and very heavy instruments. But there is also metal with clean vocals and melodic guitar riffs. Metal is very diverse and people shouldn’t judge it before they know it. Every band and genre have distinct sounds and explore different elements of music. For example, many metal bands love classical and use it in their music, yet the social status of classical and metal fans are completely opposite. The origin of the term heavy metal is unknown. Some believe it began as hippie slang then became the official term for the new genre. It’s believed to have started sometime in the early 1970s and possibly the late 1960s. Heavy metal and hard rock are interchangeable phrases used to describe bands of the 70s

Black Sabbath basically created the genre in 1969 with their heavy, doom sound. But many hard rock bands influenced the movement like AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix and Van Halen. Bands such as Megadeth and Motorhead brought metal out of the underground and furthered the development of the genre. Throughout the 70’s and 80’s metal flourished and many bands started dedicating themselves to playing the music. At this time, metal was really just like hard rock but a bit heavier and with varying lyrical themes.
In the 1990’s metal became very underground and loads of sub-genres came to be. Black, Death, Doom, Folk, Glam, Gothic, Groove, Power, Progressive, Speed and Thrash just to name a few of the hundreds. This is when metal became more extreme and unique. Many bands and genres gained underground, cult statuses and remained unpopular. This is one of the many things I love about metal. Music these days is so fake and lacks talent. But metal is very skilled and they aren’t in it for the money. They are about the music, which is what it should be about. But nowadays if you look good you can get a record contract in a second. You lip-synch a song written by a 50 year old man and you’re automatically a millionaire. Metal has always been about the music and not about the money and that’s why it’s remained out of the mainstream and in peoples audio players.

The 5 main sub-genres of metal are Death, Black, Thrash, Doom and Power. Each with a very distinct sound and style. Death metal formed in the early 1990’s with bands like Morbid Angel and Death. It usually consists of growling and grunts for vocals discussing about dark or violent subjects, fast, heavy and distorted guitars, brutal drum beats and a down tuned bass. Black metal is an extreme style of metal that began in Scandinavia in the late 1980s. Black metal is an underground, cult genre with themes usually speaking of death and religion. Bathory and Venom were some of the first to play it. It usually has a high pitched, raspy, shriek singing style meant to resemble torture. The instruments are played very fast and sometimes sloppy. Black metal is so hostile to the mainstream that many bands refuse to play concerts or even release albums for the sake of staying true to their genre. Black metal is usually very dark and violent, sometimes referred to as “hate music.” Thrash metal takes influence from hardcore punk and has a more aggressive, heavy and loud sound. Prominent bands of the genre include Slayer and Anthrax. It started in the 1980s and has moderately broken into the mainstream. Doom metal began in the 80s with bands such as Saint Vitus and The Obsessed. The main characteristic of doom metal that separates it from the other sub-genres is the fact that it rejects speed, slowing it to a crawl. Doom metal is dark, slow and extremely heavy. During the 1990s Power Metal began, becoming the opposite to the harsh sound of Death and Black metal. It became a European phenomenon and is closely related to progressive metal. Power metal has a clean vocal style instead of growling or screaming. Bands like DragonForce and HammerFall are popular bands of the genre. They mainly focus on fantasy, fiction and epic themes and contain synths in their music. Those are the 5 basic sub-genres of metal but there are so many more like Viking, Hardcore, Alternative, Nu, Industrial, Grindcore, Christian, Extreme, Stoner, Symphonic, and Neo-classical.

Metal continues to grow in the modern world and persists to pump out great music time after time. I have been listening to metal for years and it’s unlike anything I’ve ever heard. It’s the most incredible thing ever invented by man in my opinion. I own hundreds of albums and am an outspoken devotee. I wish people would not assume the genre is all the same though because its so versatile, and there’s something for everyone with metal. There’s light, heavy, dark, positive, brutal, epic, and whatever else you want to say. I think metal is amazing because it has stayed real for all these years and is still a dominant genre.

I bet that everyone on this board ever made an oral presentation about something related to metal...

I did one in my german class about die apokalyptischen reiter (the band had to have some german lyrics).

oh and keep in my mind your doing it because you want people to have a good opinion about metal not to piss them off.

So don't play some brutal shit, some heavy metal, melodic metal or smooth thrash could be cool.

Yeah I was considering playing some metal. Iron Maiden would be acceptable but something like Gorguts would rip their balls off.

The beginning of the speech lacks focus a bit. It kind of skips from topic to topic, which, since this is a speech, won't sound so great. It reads almost like a bulleted list, so try to elaborate a bit and make the sentences flow.

It get's better after that, though I might leave out the jabs at non-metal music and the stuff about metal being "better" (even though it pretty much is), as that might cause some people to stop listening to you. I'm not so sure if it's accurate to say that metal has never been in the mainstream; Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metalliza, etc. got pretty big back in the day. I would also not use Hammerfall and Dragonforce as your examples of Power Metal; maybe Blind Guardian and a North American style PM band like Synphony X would be more representative. ALso, I think Blues was a fairly large influence on metal.

Overall it's pretty good, though. I gave a speech on Metal for a class once. It was full of curses.

edit: Oh! When I did it, I had a whole part just about "the look", which was done in a semi-mocking style. "It is required that you have long hair or a completley shaven head. If you have short, neat hair, you are not doing it right". People though it was mildly amusing, so you might think about touching on that.

The speech is alright, but needs a little tweaking, as it was said a few posts above. But be careful about what you play for them. I would recommend late-era Death if you want to get them to appreciate harsh vocals, but other than that, choose wisely.

And do not be condescending to other musical forms. This is literary suicide. I mean, would you take someone seriously who was incredibly obsessed with pop music and made jabs at metal for being of lesser musical quality?

Music these days is so fake and lacks talent. But metal is very skilled and they aren’t in it for the money. They are about the music, which is what it should be about. But nowadays if you look good you can get a record contract in a second. You lip-synch a song written by a 50 year old man and you’re automatically a millionaire. Metal has always been about the music and not about the money and that’s why it’s remained out of the mainstream and in peoples audio players.'

^^^^^^ this is awfully ignorant considering how much great music is out there

I bet that everyone on this board ever made an oral presentation about something related to metal...

I did one in my german class about die apokalyptischen reiter (the band had to have some german lyrics).

replace heavy metal with 80s hardcore punk and you got me.

Music these days is so fake and lacks talent. But metal is very skilled and they aren’t in it for the money. They are about the music, which is what it should be about. But nowadays if you look good you can get a record contract in a second. You lip-synch a song written by a 50 year old man and you’re automatically a millionaire. Metal has always been about the music and not about the money and that’s why it’s remained out of the mainstream and in peoples audio players.'

^^^^^^ this is awfully ignorant considering how much great music is out there

I'm speaking about mainstream music and the stuff on MTV. Like pop, rap and emo. There is stuff I like other then metal but popular music today is horrible expect a couple of bands.

get a mixture of metal to be played for them. a compilation that plays samples of a host of songs that shows genre's developing over time. THAT would be cool.

also in response to whoever suggested that everyone has presented something about metal - i havent.

also, i think the idea of corpse paint would be good to, for a comical angle anyway.