Metal Pros/Pet Peeves?

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
What are 3 attributes, practices, techniques etc. you like and dislike in metal? Can be specific to a genre, more broad, whatever.

• An atmospheric/hypnotic/almost mystical quality. Sustained notes, non-metal influenced melodies (Folk, Drone, Space Rock, Ambient), and unique instruments- synths, sitars, hurdy-gurdy, jaw harp, etc. can really contribute to the feeling.
  • In more uptempo metal I rather like prominent lead guitar work that's somewhere between riffing and a solo. Brings such an energy. Iron Maiden & Shylmagoghnar are both good examples within 2 different styles.
  • Maybe a counter-point to the above, but when drums & bass are prominent in the mix and writing. I know it's easy to write music focusing on the guitar and vocals, but it makes me happy when the bass plays more than root notes and drum fills are clearly inspired or even carry the melody in their own way.

Dislikes

• As much as I love it: overdoing the atmospheric shtick. There comes a point when it gets so ambient or repetitive that it just doesn't feel like a song anymore.
  • Punk/Hardcore/Deathcore style vocals in metal. I can't even explain why these get under my skin so much. Can enjoy or at least tolerate every other style.
  • Lyrics that are overbearingly contemporary. I love metal much for it's escapism so hearing about politics, religion/anti-religion, relationship shit, etc. is just a letdown. Would much rather get some history, sci-fi, fantasy, monsters, massive bong hits, etc.
What do you got?

I personally have no problem with religion/anti-religion in metal lyrics.

Likes - Unorthodoxy, prominent bass & drum (like what OP said), weird shit not meant for mass-consumption.

Dislikes - Over-production, Verse/chorus/verse song structures, guitars that are tuned lower than C (for the most part anyway).

I don't analyse things as much as some people do so my likes and dislikes are a little more simple than right and wrong chords, notes and whether someone can produces with too much or too little bass.

Aggression
Speed

Dislikes:
Lyrics about politics, satan, and religion if that's all a band does.
Japanese bonus tracks (although that might not be metal specific)
People who think their favourite genre is superior to others and go out of their way to tell everyone (again maybe not specific to metal but I don't talk to a lot of people on pop forums so I'm running with it because I don't have enough dislikes.)

Pros (going to list more just because):

1. Manly vocalists that can also shriek. Dickinson, Halford, Jon Oliva, King Diamond, Slauter Xstroyes' Jon Stewart, Blackie Lawless, etc. Doesn't have to be a precise style, but I like guys that can do gruff and also shatter windows. Or some of my favorite thrash guys like Keith Deen and Ulysses Siren's Manuel Lopez qualify too, being able to bark aggressively and angrily while still knowing how to carry a melody is a great quality.
2. Unannounced musical transitions. Sometimes you can get away with telegraphing your next riff; Exodus and most of the other early thrash bands did the thing where you play a rhythm two or four times, introduce a descending power chord over it a couple times with a slower drum track, and then play them both together at full speed for the verse. A common trope that gets boring after enough time, but Piranha for example wouldn't be the same without it. But in general, I don't want that shit, your rhythms probably aren't so amazing that they warrant an introduction, just get to the next part and don't waste my time. Early Megadeth was great at this, and on the lead-front as well; you don't have to repeat the under-solo-riff two or four times to let me know the solo is coming, just blare it out. Again, there's exceptions where a little announcement helps things, like when Araya briefly plays that hardcore-style bassline before Hanneman plays the best solo of his career in Praise of Death, but those are rare. Just get on with it.
3. Unique guitar tones. There are probably a few times where unique is bad, but for the most part, if it's different, that's a plus. Every great Destruction album sounds completely different guitar-wise. Adramelch Irae Melanox with its paper-thin midi-sounding tone, fucking beautiful. Shah's Beware, ugly-as-fuck buzzsaw, not even close to a favorite album of mine but the guitar tone boosts it a lot.
4. Unique anything really, I'm a filthy slut, internet piracy is my Grindr, I want to travel the world and discover myself with new and exotic riffs pumped up my ass, I'm too young to settle down. Even if you're some garbage black metal band, if you have something that isn't just an aesthetic gimmick, I'll feel like I didn't completely waste my time.
5. Minor 2nds just sound super cool and fucked up to me, especially for lead guitar. I think most examples of this, Destruction's Cracked Brain and Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption the first examples where I noticed it, just use some effect pedal to do it rather than trying to precisely replicate a solo one half-note off, but I don't care, it sounds sweet.

Cons:

1. Repetitive rhythms and meter. It can be fine in certain contexts, but if you have a habit of writing one-bar riffs that repeat themselves 16+ times, or a habit of writing tremolo-picked riffs where every riff is a perfectly even series of sequential notes, you probably should be playing lo-fi indie rock, not metal. 98% of black metal and 90% of death metal is useless because it fails to appreciate the value of even passable rhythmic change. Metronome drumming can obviously fuck off as well.
2. Vocal melodies that follow the main guitar melody, or vice versa. In small doses fine, but it can easily hurt my appreciation of a song (see: Iron Man, Battery, and every other post-reunion Iron Maiden bridge section). Just embellish it in some way, if you absolutely need some unison, then just syncopate the vocal rhythm slightly or something, a few words per verse could be sufficient. This is one area that Priest almost always gets right, even on the simple poppy radio anthems they understand the value of guitar-vocal play.
3. Sort of a continuation of #1 but I'm actually struggling, I'm pretty open-minded as long as you don't suck dick rhythmically: syncopated rhythms that are mostly just syncopated within a tiny frame but not the whole of the rhythm. I don't know the exact way to describe it, but a shitton of melodeath and metalcore qualifies. For an idea, first think of Metallica's syncopated, triplet-like rhythms, songs like Damage Inc, as well as the thrash bands that followed, like Testament, Believer, Stone, etc, you know, dut-dutalut dut-dutalut. The OG thrash bands would take those brief chugged phrases and fill them into a larger rhythm that does not fall directly on the beat, it's basically a riffing unit just like a single gallop could be a riffing unit. But then the melodeath shitheads came along in the early-mid 90s, stole that riffing unit and the kick-snare drumming backbone, and wrote riffs where each dut-dutalut lands squarely on the same beats for every bar.
4. Beat-counting-rhythms. One of Steve Harris' greatest sins, literally half of his songs go something like ONE and a TWO and a THREE and FOUR and a FIVE and SIX and. You don't get a pass just because you play odd time-signatures either. Dream Theater is rightfully ripped for that, but it's Unquestionable Presence's greatest sin as well; yeah you go 7/8 then 13/16 then 9/8 or whatever but all you did was play evenly-spaced 16th notes the entire time you fucking cheater. You fail the class, go back and study the first three Mekong Delta albums some more.

Last edited:
Dislikes - Over-production, Verse/chorus/verse song structures, guitars that are tuned lower than C (for the most part anyway).

I was tempted to say over/under produced. Hi-fi is obvious with some of the plastic sounding riffs, etc. but some lo-fi BM can get overly screechy/trebly. I guess it's the difference between sounding muffled vs. shrill.

It definitely gets to a point where things can become unlistenable, but I'll take underproduced any day of the week.

I will say I absolutely can't stand underproduction in most cases. I don't like it to be dragonforce level fake sounding. But I like my music to pack a punch and if the guitars sound thin and muffled and the bass doesn't sit right in the mix I just can't feel it and it's boring. There are exceptions, but that's my general rule of thumb.

My main pet-peeve is when the drums sound like dogshit. This usually refers to plastic sounding clicky (often triggered) crap that totally robs the music of any impact. It's so nutless.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I prefer underproduced albums because metal is supposed to be hard to listen to, against the grain kinda stuff. It's not meant to be for everyone. A super-well polished metal album sort of misses the mark.

If metal was supposed to be easy to digest all of the bands should throw away all of that minor scale riff-raff and just play pop songs.

I prefer underproduced albums because metal is supposed to be hard to listen to, against the grain kinda stuff. It's not meant to be for everyone. A super-well polished metal album sort of misses the mark.

If metal was supposed to be easy to digest all of the bands should throw away all of that minor scale riff-raff and just play pop songs.

So you think technical death metal is supposed to be underproduced? :lol: Metal isn't just one sound and different production fits different styles. That all being said, production is NEVER a make or break for me. I let the actual music make that decision. "It doesnt sound kvlt enough" is literally the definition of poserism

So you think technical death metal is supposed to be underproduced? :lol: Metal isn't just one sound and different production fits different styles. That all being said, production is NEVER a make or break for me. I let the actual music make that decision. "It doesnt sound kvlt enough" is literally the definition of poserism
Tell that to Varg.

A guy who lives in isolation in Norway, refusing to tour or play his music live is a poser?

A guy who lives in isolation in Norway, refusing to tour or play his music live is a poser?

He lives in France on welfare with a hundred children, he doesn't play live because he probably can't and openly despises most aspects of metal, and he only chose to perform metal music because it was a vehicle for selling an image of being some kind of wannabe outsider artist. If he was true to himself he'd just play his shitty neofolk garbage in a hut to his fellow neo-Nazi wewuzvikangs LARPers.