Metal Reflections and ?'s at a Bon Jovi Concert

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
So, I took the wife to see Bon Jovi at the sold out stadium in Philadelphia (Wachovia Center - 20,000+). This was the first of two sold out nights. I admit to liking some of Bon Jovi's older music - I was a fan way back when in the 80's, but I certainly wouldn't choose to listen to the new stuff on my own. Still, it was okay. The band put on a good performance, as these things go. As I sat there listening, I had two main thoughts:

1) Here is an 80's metal band (argue amongst yourselves on the metal label as applied to this band - hair, bubble gum, etc). They are not doing a nostalgia tour a la their compatriots such as Poison. They are playing new songs from new hit records. They sell out two nights in a stadium when other metal bands (in the US) are happy to sell out 3,000 seat venues. How many other metal bands from the 80's could match that? I could think of only one - Metallica. I would count Aerosmith as more rock and roll than metal, and I still believe Motley Crue thrives more on nostalgia than new music. Are there any other bands out there? (BTW, BJ had an amazing light show, including a huge TV that allowed me to see perfectly from my lousy seats.

2) Jon Bon Jovi sounded very good, vocally. Actually better than I've heard him before in other performances. Still, in his 40's, he either can not, or declined to try, hitting the hard notes on Runaway (one of the few older songs they played). I got to thinking about how many of the older vocalists could still sing with the same power and high notes that they did back in their heyday. I haven't seen Dio for a while, but I've heard that he still sounds the same. They again, he never had went the power screamer route. So, I discounted him. I was able to come up with 3 40+ vocalists that still had their power of the 80s:

Rob Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Eric Adams (Manowar)

I have seen all of them live in the past few years, and heard them hold the same notes with the same power as they did in younger days. Can anyone add to this list?

(Don't include Geoff Tate. Although still an amazing voice, during this year's Op Mindcrime tour, he couldn't do the power scream from Revolution Calling. He still sounded great, and I'm not knocking him, but he has lost a little).

I'm wondering about singers such as Tony Harnell (TNT, Starbreaker) or Kiske (Helloween) can still sing the way they did?

One last thought - the population had to have been at least 3 to 1 girls to guys. Yes, for one night, the 80's were back.

Steve in Philly

The only one a can think of and this is back in the mid 90's before he had to have double hip replacement is STEVE PERRY of JOURNEY. Now granted as he got older he couldn't, like BJ go the high high notes but all in all the same vocals.

Nah, Gravedigger. Nothing else off of the debut, and nothing at all from 7800. They did the hits from Slippery (Livin on a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive), and a few from New Jersey as well. The rest were from the newer albums.

As I said, they aren't my favorite, but I admire the fact that they've survivied as a real band, when eveyone else is playing for nostalgia.

Steve in Philly

Perry's voice, like most vocalists in their 40s got lower, but he still had just as much, if not more talent, as in the Journey days.

Tony Harnell's voice is also a little lower, but he can still stretch for those insane high notes when he wants to.

Kiske is also lower, and I think, a better singer than he was with Helloween. He's so damn smooth on that Place Vendome album.

awesome! Scored 10th row seats in Fresno, a road trip for this show, but no decent seats avail at a reasonable price in L.A.

Damn near every show they are playing is sold out. Tickets went on sale in October here for there show in March 2006. Not many bands can claim that and it's certainly nice to see. 2005 the year of the reunion tours!:headbang:

Klaus Meine's been in a pretty nice midrange for about 20 years now. Personally I like it better than all the screaming he did before Love at First Sting.

DarkOne said:
As I said, they aren't my favorite, but I admire the fact that they've survivied as a real band, when eveyone else is playing for nostalgia.

Steve in Philly
Exactly. I am not a big fan, but do admire them greatly for what they've been able to acheive. Whether some think they've grown, or progressed...they have been able to retain a loyal fan base(for the most part) and pick up new, younger fans along the way. They are not just a greatest hits, nostalgia band, as they still sell gold & platinum and sell out arenas. Those guys have all the respect in the world from me.

Another band that has soldiered on from the 1980's is Enuff Z'Nuff. The glam look probably destroyed any mainstream credibility they'll ever have in the U.S., but unlike most of the glam metal bands, they never broke up to reform later (actually "glam metal" is probably a stretch for Enuff Z'Nuff, they had the look in the '80's, but their sound is more akin to guitar-driven power pop). As far as I know, they are still putting out albums, and their fans are really supportive.

DarkOne said:
2) Jon Bon Jovi sounded very good, vocally. Actually better than I've heard him before in other performances. Still, in his 40's, he either can not, or declined to try, hitting the hard notes on Runaway (one of the few older songs they played).

I've kinda sat on this for a long time (since the first Bon Jovi album came out I guess) but if you are referring to that vocal freestyle-type section at the end of the song, I am fairly certain that Bon Jovi never sang that part to begin with! I'm 99% sure that was actually Aldo Nova, who worked with him in the studio during the recording of that song (which was originally recorded for a NY radio compilation and had session players on it). If you listen to the album it actually sounds like Aldo Nova, although Jon mouths it in the video.

I guess what I'm getting at is although the other guys (like David Bryan) are helping him by singing the high parts in some sections, he is pretty much singing the same things he always did in the old days.

Oh shit...did I just philosophize about Bon Jovi on the Prog Power board? Damn...:Smug:

Ruthven said:
Another band that has soldiered on from the 1980's is Enuff Z'Nuff. The glam look probably destroyed any mainstream credibility they'll ever have in the U.S., but unlike most of the glam metal bands, they never broke up to reform later (actually "glam metal" is probably a stretch for Enuff Z'Nuff, they had the look in the '80's, but their sound is more akin to guitar-driven power pop). As far as I know, they are still putting out albums, and their fans are really supportive.

While I can give them credit for being around for a while, I believe they are one of the worst bands I have ever heard/seen in my life. I'm not just saying that as a prog/metal fan either. There are plenty of bands who, IMO, do the power-pop thing much better, namely Cheap Trick, and another Illinois band
called The Spelunkers, who unfortunately are no longer together. They had lots of promise though and were incredibly good.....

J-Dubya

Ruthven said:

Ruthven, that's a an obscure statement, but I'm not saying that in a smartass way, or at least I don't mean it that way. Enuff Z'Nuff is just an obscure band to me, because they've never really achieved commerical success. Acutally, I seen them once in the early 90s, and they put on a good show IMO.

As for the subject at hand, I give Jon and boys all the credit in the world for what they've accomplished over the years! I'm a fan, not hardcore, but I really enjoy the band all the same.

IMO, Def Leppard is just a notch below Bon Jovi for their success. Like Bon Jovi, they've adapted their sound, but they don't have the sex appeal like Jon himself does. Leppard can still sell out big arenas though. Steve Elliott (spelling error!) virtually sounds the same as he did back in the day, but not as ballsy as he did on High N Dry or Pyromania albums.

That's my 2 cents worth on the subject though....

I LOVE 80S HARDROCK/METAL/THRASH METAL, THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT! :D

BADLANDS IS THE BEST THOUGH...NO ONE CAN DENY THE GREATNESS OF JAKE E LEE AND RAY GILLEN (R.I.P.)!

TheGraveDigger said:
Wow, they played Runaway! Did they do anything else off of that album or my favorite album 7800?

They will never play anything from 7800 again. They (he) has said many times publically that it will not happen.

As for the high note at the end of "Runaway", he *used* to sing it (who knows if he did it in the studio or not...), but he did do it in the middle 80s into the early 90s. At least this tour they're playing it like a rock song, instead of an acoustic ballad like they did a few tours ago...

edgeofthorns said:
Leppard can still sell out big arenas though. Steve Elliott (spelling error!) virtually sounds the same as he did back in the day, but not as ballsy as he did on High N Dry or Pyromania albums.

Not to burst the bubble, but I have to butt in here. Def Leppard can no longer sell out arenas. They tend to draw 5,000-7,000 max. This was especially brought out in their most recent tour of minor league ballparks with Bryan Adams. I actually think it was an excellent idea from their standpoint. The outdoor sheds are very expensive in the summer and would have taken away a huge chunk of profit.

On a side note, did anyone notice the Whitesnake attendance figures are there last jaunt through the States? They did really well in a few cities, but didn't draw 1,000 per stop in most.

Glenn H.

P.S. It's Joe Elliot.

adaher said:
Klaus Meine's been in a pretty nice midrange for about 20 years now. Personally I like it better than all the screaming he did before Love at First Sting.

I completely disagree that he's been "midrange" for 20yrs. But that's each of our opinions. And I have to say I love all the albums pre Love at first sting. But as most know I'm a huuuuuuuuge Scorps fan so all my opinions are biased.:Spin:

I'll give them all the credit in the world for staying alive as a band and performing NEW material to large crowds.....:headbang:

But METAL and Bon JOVI do not belong in the same sentence......:ill:

Harvester said:
Not to burst the bubble, but I have to butt in here. Def Leppard can no longer sell out arenas. They tend to draw 5,000-7,000 max. This was especially brought out in their most recent tour of minor league ballparks with Bryan Adams. I actually think it was an excellent idea from their standpoint. The outdoor sheds are very expensive in the summer and would have taken away a huge chunk of profit.

On a side note, did anyone notice the Whitesnake attendance figures are there last jaunt through the States? They did really well in a few cities, but didn't draw 1,000 per stop in most.

Glenn H.

P.S. It's Joe Elliot.

For some reason I'm thinking that Leppard sells out arenas overseas, but maybe not. Maybe if they beef up their sound a bit again, they could!

Joe Elliot....Apparently, I combined my thoughts of Steve Clark and Joe Elliot to create my own Def Leppard member! :)

I wanted to check out Snake, but they didn't come close to me. Glenn, did you check them out?