Metal Reflections and ?'s at a Bon Jovi Concert

DarkOne said:
I got to thinking about how many of the older vocalists could still sing with the same power and high notes that they did back in their heyday

No question about my answer: Lou Gramm of Foreigner.

I saw Foreigner a few years ago (touring with REO Speedwagon and Peter Frampton, probably '99), and was blown away by how rock-solid Lou was after all these years. I actually think he sounded *better* live, and that the high notes were *more* solid/powerful live than on the studio version. Every note was perfect....I was completely impressed.

BTW, while Lou Gramm's vocals impressed me, it was Peter Frampton's performance that I enjoyed the most. I don't know if I've ever seen a singer/musician who was so obviously having the time of his life. He was having a great time, and his enthusiasm was highly contagious. He wasn't just grinding through the old songs to make money, as seemed the case with REO (good performance, but little enthusiasm).

Craig

General Zod said:
Adapted how?

Zod

Well, they dont have 80's butt-metal hair. So they adapted in a fashion sense. They dont sound like 80's butt-metal. So they adapted in a musical sense, compared to some of their previous contemporaries who are still stuck there. Not to say Bon Jovi ever really sounded like 80's butt-metal to me.

Basically, I give Bon Jovi a lot of credit for not being a typical crappy hair metal band from the 80's. They didnt stay stuck in the 80's. They write new music that actually sounds new. They didnt go bankrupt from hookers and coke. And we dont have to hear about their revival tours to make up for all the cash they blew up their noses in the 80's.

DarkOne said:
So, I took the wife to see Bon Jovi at the sold out stadium in Philadelphia (Wachovia Center - 20,000+). This was the first of two sold out nights....
2) Jon Bon Jovi sounded very good, vocally. Actually better than I've heard him before in other performances. Still, in his 40's, he either can not, or declined to try, hitting the hard notes on Runaway (one of the few older songs they played). I got to thinking about how many of the older vocalists could still sing with the same power and high notes that they did back in their heyday...
I have seen all of them live in the past few years, and heard them hold the same notes with the same power as they did in younger days. Can anyone add to this list?

I'm wondering about singers such as Tony Harnell (TNT, Starbreaker)...

One last thought - the population had to have been at least 3 to 1 girls to guys. Yes, for one night, the 80's were back.

Steve in Philly

Steve, I went to Philly on the second sold out Bon Jovi show, your description is accurate. Though I go to club shows weekly and at times an outdoor show, I had not been to an arena show in like almost 20 years (ironically it was Bon Jovi warming up for Ratt at the Spectrum I believe). Living on the Jersey shore, I was a Bon Jovi fan before they were signed and liked their first album a lot. I knew Jon's girlfriend well and so got to hang out with the band a bit. As I told Jon back then, there is no doubt he would make it. They had the look, talent, songs, and stage presence. Not taking anything away from their catchy songs, but it sure never hurt that Jon is someone girls are attracted to (i.e. genetic pool winner) and to this day draws stadiums of them! I haven't bought a BJ album since 7800 degrees and would not have gone to the show if not for my wife and her girlfriends. One of them is seeing BJ like 6 times!

If you do want to hear a vocalist over 40 (he's gotta be 40+) sing them high notes perfectly, I heard Rob Rock do the BJ song 'Runaway' a couple months back in Conn. at a Vice reunion show (his old club band). When it came to that high part in the end of the song, I assumed he would skip it, but then there it was, at least as good as the origional version, simply amazzzing!!!:worship: The rest of his show was great too, we gotta get him back to prog/power someday in a more than guest spot. I also saw Tony Harnell a couple months back singing as a guest with another band, can't say I heard him hit a super high note, but he sounded real good anyway.:headbang:

sorry did i missread...or has DIO seriously not been mentioned??!?!

have you heard that old geezer? HAH! hes brilliant!

and, of course, James LaBrie and Hansi Kurch....not as old as the previously mentioned, but still round for a while and RULE

No-Mercy said:
sorry did i missread...or has DIO seriously not been mentioned??!?!
have you heard that old geezer? HAH! hes brilliant!

I dont know what I was thinking not mention DIO. I must have had a brain fart since the begining of the this thread :loco: . DIO is truly one of the greatest singers in any genre of music ever. Cheerz to Dio his royal Holy Diverness

Actually I mentioned Dio in the original post. However, I wasn't really including him because of the style of his singing. He may have one of the best voices ever, but he has always used low melodic vocals (yes, he has a few screams here and there, such as 'Gypsy'). I was talking about people that sang with more pure power. Bon Jovi wails at the end of Runaway. Eric Adams screams his way through most Manowar songs. Halford . . . need I mention anything that Halford can do. Dio is as good as or better than anyone else, but he is a different singer.

Steve in Philly (Still marveling at my post, in which I follow Bon Jovi with Manowar. Heh).

DarkOne said:
I was able to come up with 3 40+ vocalists that still had their power of the 80s:

Rob Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Eric Adams (Manowar)

I have seen all of them live in the past few years, and heard them hold the same notes with the same power as they did in younger days. Can anyone add to this list?

Well you KNOW that I have to respond to this! :D I have been lucky enough to see MANOWAR six (6) times and all of it has been post new-millenium. Eric Adams still has all the power he had "back-in-the-day" and in some ways, I think his voice is even better. He has amazing breath control and the ability to sustain notes the way an opera singer does. And anyone who saw them on tour with Rhapsody saw him perform the most amazing rendition of "The Phantom of the Opera" with HolyHell's lead singer (Joey DeMaio's girlfriend).

So kudos to you for putting him on this list, otherwise I definitely would have had to! :loco:

Dave@BEC said:
Steve, I went to Philly on the second sold out Bon Jovi show, your description is accurate. Though I go to club shows weekly and at times an outdoor show, I had not been to an arena show in like almost 20 years (ironically it was Bon Jovi warming up for Ratt at the Spectrum I believe). Living on the Jersey shore, I was a Bon Jovi fan before they were signed and liked their first album a lot. I knew Jon's girlfriend well and so got to hang out with the band a bit. As I told Jon back then, there is no doubt he would make it. They had the look, talent, songs, and stage presence. Not taking anything away from their catchy songs, but it sure never hurt that Jon is someone girls are attracted to (i.e. genetic pool winner) and to this day draws stadiums of them! I haven't bought a BJ album since 7800 degrees and would not have gone to the show if not for my wife and her girlfriends. One of them is seeing BJ like 6 times!

If you do want to hear a vocalist over 40 (he's gotta be 40+) sing them high notes perfectly, I heard Rob Rock do the BJ song 'Runaway' a couple months back in Conn. at a Vice reunion show (his old club band). When it came to that high part in the end of the song, I assumed he would skip it, but then there it was, at least as good as the origional version, simply amazzzing!!!:worship: The rest of his show was great too, we gotta get him back to prog/power someday in a more than guest spot. I also saw Tony Harnell a couple months back singing as a guest with another band, can't say I heard him hit a super high note, but he sounded real good anyway.:headbang:

Dave, I found your post interesting! Did you just loose interest in the band after 7800?

Since you're from Jersey, did you ever know/see Ray Gillen?

SwordLord said:
Well you KNOW that I have to respond to this! :D I have been lucky enough to see MANOWAR six (6) times and all of it has been post new-millenium. Eric Adams still has all the power he had "back-in-the-day" and in some ways, I think his voice is even better. He has amazing breath control and the ability to sustain notes the way an opera singer does. And anyone who saw them on tour with Rhapsody saw him perform the most amazing rendition of "The Phantom of the Opera" with HolyHell's lead singer (Joey DeMaio's girlfriend).

So kudos to you for putting him on this list, otherwise I definitely would have had to! :loco:

Personally, I despise Manowar, but I will say this. Eric Adams is an outstanding vocalist! I seen him on the last tour as well, and he was great live.

edgeofthorns said:
Dave, I found your post interesting! Did you just loose interest in the band after 7800? Since you're from Jersey, did you ever know/see Ray Gillen?
Thx...I was at the relase party for 7800, and thought it was ok, but did not like it nearly as much as I had really hoped too. The band did obviously come back in a BIG way with the next album. Everyone seem to have bought that one including my girlfriend (now wife) so I just never felt any need to buy it. In fact with all the radio play BJ got, I never ended up buying another cd of theirs. It was shocking to see a band you'ld help load gear into their green station wagon, then make it sooo big. It was my first experience of that in the 80's, which would happen again and again with Skid Row, Cinderella, Zakk Wylde, etc. While it's really cool to see the bands rise to stadium status, it's not the same as hanging out & drinking with the band at the bar after the show.:kickass: (Like a lot of the bands do at ProgPower :cool: )

Very unfortunately I never got to see Ray Gillen...that would of been amazing!:worship:

Dave@BEC said:
Thx...I was at the relase party for 7800, and thought it was ok, but did not like it nearly as much as I had really hoped too. The band did obviously come back in a BIG way with the next album. Everyone seem to have bought that one including my girlfriend (now wife) so I just never felt any need to buy it. In fact with all the radio play BJ got, I never ended up buying another cd of theirs. It was shocking to see a band you'ld help load gear into their green station wagon, then make it sooo big. It was my first experience of that in the 80's, which would happen again and again with Skid Row, Cinderella, Zakk Wylde, etc. While it's really cool to see the bands rise to stadium status, it's not the same as hanging out & drinking with the band at the bar after the show.:kickass: (Like a lot of the bands do at ProgPower :cool: )

Very unfortunately I never got to see Ray Gillen...that would of been amazing!:worship:

Amazing indeed! He's one of the best! I find it very cool that him and Russell Allen were acquaintances.

Thanks for sharing Dave!:headbang: