Metal that's meant much...

In a timeline fashion:

To me, the first "metal" band was Led Zeppelin - in 1969, thier music to me as a kid seemed so far ahead of anything I had heard.

That honestly lasted until the days of Metal Church, Slayer, Anthrax, Mercyful Fate, Exodus, Fates Warning, Metallica, Queensryche, etc. All of these bands combined (along with others) became my metal following.

I have noticed that I am more critical as I get older, and for any single band to stand alone is a difficult thing in my mind.

As I sit here today, there are 3 bands that I now can't live without - I find their music at that notch above all others:

Opeth
Grip Inc (wah :cry: - no longer together)
The Tea Party

At the second level are bands like Nevermore, Dimmu Borgir, and others.

Alrighty..

1. Queen really started everything off for me. They were the first "substance" music that I ever liked consistently. I moved into GnR (Illusion era), and eventually onto NIN in the mid-90s. I never went for Manson, since NIN gave me all I needed. I hate to say it, but Cradle of Filth brought me into metal . My old band, Encrypted in Flesh (I wasn't around when it was named.. damnit), was hugely influential in my life. And of course.. now, Opeth and Tool are right up there. I'll say in terms of re-broadening my horizons in recent years, the Tragically Hip, Cat Stevens, and most of all Tom Waits have opened me up to some different styles.

2. My outlook on metal changed when I learned about the Norwegian scene - having formerly attributed the title "blackmetal" to CoF. I'll say Old Man's Child (Born of the Flickering especially) changed that outlook a lot. Opeth is really the only band that's keeping my interest in metal right now.

3. My outlook on music in general has been changed many times over the years. Barring any kind of despicable commercial crap, I've become interested in a lot more "typical" music. I think it was my last GF who got me into a lot of it. She wasn't a metal fan, but appreciated it for what it was, and supported my band. She got me into the Hip, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, etc. None of those bands are on my "favourite" list, but it's music I enjoy and can respect since I know intelligent people do listen to it. The Tragically Hip really grew on me, and I'm not sure why. It's not at all like anything else I listen to, but I find the guitar in it really interesting to listen to, and it's good at work when the customers are sick of hearing Zeppelin over and over (not to mention that green Burzum album, all ambient-like). Oh, and overall, NIN opened my eyes to music that was capable of being heavy, aggressive, and realllllly full of swears. :lol:

4. Bands I can't live without: Opeth, obviously. Their cds are in the front of my case, along with Tool. That's the music that's always in rotation. Always in my discman when I'm walking or bussing, and was always in my car before it became a piece of a lamp-post last December. Tom Waits gets a lot of air-time here too. I love his voice, and his storytelling lyrics are incredible. He paints this twisted-dixieland kind of imagery, characters you'd love to see in a movie or read about in a book. I can't live without my roots of music either - Queen and NIN.

5. The above bands mean a lot to me. I'd say Tom Waits doesn't hold an emotional part of me yet, I haven't been listening to him for long enough. But Opeth definitely means a lot to me. Tool does, as well. Zeppelin means a LOT to me. I use that music as a time to separate myself from the world. It lets me feel happy, contented, but still allows me to have my wavering doubt about everything. Which is my nature. Which is the way I like it. Some people who've introduced me to bands will always stay in my heart for doing so, and will always come to mind when that music plays. Portishead is an example, so is Massive Attack. NIN holds some memories, as does Type O Negative (lost my virginity to Blood and Fire, not that you needed to know that ;))

Music is a HUGE part of my life, and I like to have something playing at most, if not at all times. I need music to sleep, to breathe, to allow my heart to find a beat, to set my biorhythm, to live. I always like to think that the people who share the love I have for this music are intelligent people. People who appreciate it to whatever extent their minds and hearts will allow. Unfortunately, I do find some people who have latched onto some bandwagon, or just don't get it. Just don't see what's so special about what I like. It's subjective and exclusive, but fuck 'em, right?

I love it, and it shouldn't, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, right? right? :confused:

Fantastic thread. I'm gonna go dye my hair now.

-whittled from the bone of Caine-

Bands that changed my life-
-Deep Purple/Rainbow/Ritchie Blackmore (and the Who)- made my want to play guitar
-Rush - made me want to play guitar well, and play bass, also introduced me to progressive music
-Scorpions with Uli Roth - blew me away with the strange scales and raw emotion
-Megadeth - brought me into the world of extreme (for the time) metal
-In Flames - just when Megadeth and Metallica were going down the drain, I discovered these guys. And I discovered the underground metal scene.
-Vader - Introduced me to real extreme metal. Wow!
-Opeth - what can I say, Opeth took everything that I've liked musically for the last 20 years, threw it all together and created the most incedible musical discovery I have ever had! I try to turn friends on to them but to no avail. Therefore I continue to search out other Opeth fanatics to swap stories with.
-Anathema - the Judgment cd floored me. I'm looking to get more into them now.

Bands that I can't live without-
Opeth, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Godgory, Nightingale/EOSanity/Swano, Rush, Dream Theater, Vader, UFO, Anathema, Slayer, Gardenian, Fear of God, Katatonia, Nevermore, Nothingface, Tristania, Threshold, Coil, Nephilim. Ect, ect, ect,,

It was Venom for me.

I was surrounded by Rock / Metal when I was growing up. Both my older Brothers were (and still are) into Zeppelin, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Quo, etc. Even my Mum was a huge fan of Twisted Sister.

A friend, some Indian kid who's Dad owned a label called Spartan Records, played me a copy of Venom's "Welcome To Hell" and it's fair to say that it transformed my life.

It was a complete revelation. I'd never heard anything as extreme before and I was instantly hooked. My brothers hated it too, which only made it better. Venom made way to Metallica, then a while later Slayer's "Show No Mercy" came out, and then there were a few of my still favorite records, like Hellhammer's EP, Sodom's "In The Sign Of Evil" and, best of all, Voi Vod's incredible "War And Pain" (still in my top 5).

The early 80's were an exciting time for me. This entire genre, seemingly custom created for me, was created and evolved right under my nose.

Lee

I'm going to get killed for this, but...
Helloween.
They're the reason I listen to metal. Yes, yes, I know. My brother's pumpkin mega-poster back in the 80's truly changed my life.

The 80's is my decade... totally.

I'm not a huge fan of In Flames, but they changed my outlook on that type of music (or those vocals, rather)...

...and the Tea Party did a lot for me as well.

In the woods..., Ulver, Arcturus and Ved Buens Ende....

early Katatonia... a great comfort...

Dark Tranquillity

Opeth

At the gates

Those bands changed my life....each one in a different way....
I guess they'll keep me great company until the day i'll close my eyes forever .....

I was first introduced to metal by Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater and Gamma Ray.

now the bands I cannot live without:

Moonspell
Anathema
Radiohead
My Dying Bride
Devil Doll
Arcturus
Ulver

and Dream Theater as well.

Originally posted by tenebrose
I'm going to get killed for this, but...
Helloween.
They're the reason I listen to metal. Yes, yes, I know. My brother's pumpkin mega-poster back in the 80's truly changed my life.

what could be wrong with them? I think they're a pretty good band.

My mom turned me onto Alice In Chains back when I was like 9. I have loved them since.

Opeth is my favorite.

I also love Mr. Bungle, TooL, Death (Richard Christy= Best friggin drummer around)
, Clutch, Morphine.