Metal types or bands that don't yell

StarBeamAlpha

New Metal Member
Jul 17, 2005
Hey guys, I am a metal newbie, and I was wondering if that is a type of metal or some bands that use a nice singing voice to sing with melodies, instead of yelling and screaming. Or keep voices to a minimum and let the guitars do the music. I really like crisp electric guitar melodies of metal. I keep listening to to new metal CDs, and when a song starts out with a awesome guitar tune, I rejoice and I think this is going to be an awesome CD for me. But then they start yelling, and I personally can't take the yelling, so it kinda ruins it for me. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

It depends on what you mean by yelling. If you consider Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), and the like to be yelling, then you're a lost cause. But if you're talking about inhumane, gutteral growling, then that's a completely different story. That just means you're a Power Metal geek, and that you should listen to the following bands:

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Manticora
Edguy
Running Wild
Rage
Accept
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Hades (Resisting Success and If At First You Don't Succeed albums)
Metal Church
Onward
Candlemass
Black Sabbath
Internal Void
Trouble
Place Of Skulls
Symphony X
Overkill (in your case, Feel The Fire and Taking Over albums)
Forbidden
Anthrax (Spreading The Disease, Among The Living, State Of Euphoria, Persistence Of Time)
Helstar
Distant Thunder
Seven Witches
Arctic Flame
Fates Warning
Stormwarrior
Cacophony

Start with those.

Sevendust, 4lyn, 70 through 90's stuff, Iced Earth (at times), Cradle of Filth gets an opera singer to do sessions who has a 4 octave vocal range. Thats really all I can think of.

Samson said:
Sevendust, 4lyn, 70 through 90's stuff, Iced Earth (at times), Cradle of Filth gets an opera singer to do sessions who has a 4 octave vocal range. Thats really all I can think of.
:lol: :lol:

Dodens Grav said:
But if you're talking about inhumane, gutteral growling, then that's a completely different story. That just means you're a Power Metal geek, and that you should listen to the following bands:

No, it just means he's new to metal and hasn't developed a taste for them yet. Not everyone popped out of the womb craving vocal sewer pipe emissions like you, Dodens. ^_^

Too many bands to name. Essentially, any band that isn't death metal, black metal, or brutal thrash does not yell. Of course, traditional metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.) don't have yelled vocals, but you have heard of those bands anyways. Some of my favorite clean vocal bands that haven't been mentioned yet are: Doomsword, Thy Majestie, Grave Digger, Jag Panzer, Scavenger, Watchtower, Accuser, Iron Savior, Dragonforce, etc.