how many different types of metal are there, and what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2008
hello all! I did a search on this and nothing good came up, so I'm creating a thread here. If i did a bad search job, just direct me to the right thread. thanks.

Anyways, I don't know a lot about metal. I've listened to like, 6 or 7 bands in my 7 or so years of listening to metal. sure, i've heard a couple more. But when i say "listen" i really mean "listen to more than a couple of songs by that band on the radio or at a friends house," OR "I own a couple of songs by that band." So, i was thinking a couple hours ago about wikipedia, which brought me to this question: what are all the different types of metal in the world today, and how would YOU PERSONALLY define them???

I'm asking here because there seems to be a generally knowledgeable population here when it comes to metal music, and while i could technically look every single type of metal on wikipedia, it would take FOREVER, and i don't have that kind of time right now, lol.

SO, let the listing and describing begin, please!! Thanks!

I'll give a brief explanation

Traditional metal-This genre is very diverse imo, as it's had different types of bands. Clean vocals, guitars are usually speedy, but can also be slow. Examples, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Manowar, etc

Doom Metal-Just as in the title, it has gloomy feeling to the music. Usually slow, but can also have a few kind of slow parts to it. Examples Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Pentagram

Thrash metal-Fast speedy guitars, lots of riffs, etc.
Examples: Early Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Kreator, Testament, Sodom, etc.

Power Metal- Majestic themed music. Clean vocals, has a lot in common with Trad. metal. Examples: Blind Guardian, Helloween, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer

Death Metal-Fast guitar playing, tremolo picking, usually technical, extreme vocals most of the time Examples:Morbid Angel, Death, At The Gates, Atheist

Black Metal-Raw production, tremolo picking, fast, dark. Examples:Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor.

It was a great description, very brief and complete, but if the dude wants some more, I guess he can watch "A headbangers journey", in one part of the movie, there is like a theoric frame of rock and all its derivations and root and main bands, cause if we start listing genres and su sub sub genres, it's actually quite difficult.

Thanks to the net, we can see everyday more and more bands, growing like scabies. So it's an infinite search.

Sometimes, it depends of your age, because people tend to identify themselves with the bands that are playing and performing in the same time you're living, others prefer music from all times, like in my case, of course with exceptions. Dunno if this helps you, or the thread but it's a simply opinion.

Cheers.

I'll give a brief explanation

Traditional metal-This genre is very diverse imo, as it's had different types of bands. Clean vocals, guitars are usually speedy, but can also be slow. Examples, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Manowar, etc

Doom Metal-Just as in the title, it has gloomy feeling to the music. Usually slow, but can also have a few kind of slow parts to it. Examples Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Pentagram

Thrash metal-Fast speedy guitars, lots of riffs, etc.
Examples: Early Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Kreator, Testament, Sodom, etc.

Power Metal- Majestic themed music. Clean vocals, has a lot in common with Trad. metal. Examples: Blind Guardian, Helloween, Iced Earth, Jag Panzer

Death Metal-Fast guitar playing, tremolo picking, usually technical, extreme vocals most of the time Examples:Morbid Angel, Death, At The Gates, Atheist

Black Metal-Raw production, tremolo picking, fast, dark. Examples:Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor.

thanks a bunch man, this has definitely helped my understanding. And yes, I am a newb to metal and i'm proud of it...well, not really. But at least I'm not egotistical and self-absorbed like a lot of members on these boards that i've encountered so far.

and yeah, i would inject myself in aids, but you're a douchebag who doesn't amount to anything in life--so i'm not gonna listen to you, cumtarget.

and AIDS isn't a laughing matter. So shut it before you possibly insult somebody on these boards who actually has been affected someway or somehow by AIDS/HIV. And thanks for the mature, constructive posts guys.

I would say most metal, in some way, falls under the following categories:

Heavy Metal (offshoots: speed)
Doom Metal (offshoots: sludge, funeral, drone, death/doom)
Thrash Metal (offshoots: crossover, death/thrash, black/thrash, basically any thrash with close ties to extreme metal)
Power Metal (offshoots: "flower" metal, harsh power metal, sometimes folk metal is more properly classified as power metal than black, etc.)
Black Metal (offshoots: folk, viking)
Death Metal (offshoots: melodeath, brutal death)

Then there's combined styles such as metalcore which usually combine the likes of melodeath and breakdown-friendly hardcore. Power metal elements are occasionally utilized as well (and sometimes even black metal).

and AIDS isn't a laughing matter. So shut it before you possibly insult somebody on these boards who actually has been affected someway or somehow by AIDS/HIV. And thanks for the mature, constructive posts guys.

Dude. Just shut the fuck up. Most people won't care what you said just right there. There is no point in replying to everything they say. except the useful posts obviously, but honestly dude. Just ignore whatever they say, cause there just gonna be an ass about it and reply right back.

But yeah there's too many genres, sub-genres to classify bands in. Usually whatever sounds Fast/Heavy/Loud/Melodic/Aggresive Is what I call metal.

But whatever your into, and if your just starting to get into Metal I recommend these albums for starters (Don't mind the fucking classifications I randomly put that lol):

Metal 101:
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Metallica - Master Of Puppets (Like you haven't heard that one before lol)
Slayer - Reign In Blood

Masters Seminar:
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Emperor - Anthems At The Welkin At Dusk
Death - Scream Bloody Gore

PHD Seminar:
Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness
Meshuggah - Chaosphere
Enslaved - Mardraum
Mastodon - Leviathan
Melechesh - Sphynx

Obviously there are tons more albums that you could start with, but these would be a good start if you ask me.

Again there are so many genres and sub-genres it's fucking stupid for example: Mathcore...I don't even know what the fuck that is lol. It just sounds so fucking stupid I don't even what to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.